Hindu Prayer In Senate Disrupted by Protesters - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-16-2007, 04:11 PM   #31
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep


Akbar?

Just a follower of the Bible.

Doesn't seem near as bad as God telling a follower to butcher a child, the follower's own son.

And we are conditioned to revere Abraham and reviled this follower of God?


genocide via drowning only happens to bad people. who deserve it.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 07-16-2007, 05:44 PM   #32
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 05:43 PM
Guest chaplain Rajan Zed's prayer:


Let us pray. We meditate on the transcendental Glory of the Deity Supreme, who is inside the heart of the Earth, inside the life of the sky, and inside the soul of the Heaven. May He stimulate and illuminate our minds. [Rig Veda 3.10.62]

Lead us from the unreal to the real, from darkness to light, and from death to immortality. [Brihadaranyaka Upanishad 1.3.28] May we be protected together. May we be nourished together. May we work together with great vigor. May our study be enlightening. May no obstacle arise between us. [Taittiriya Upanishad 2.2.2]

May the Senators strive constantly to serve the welfare of the world, performing their duties with the welfare of others always in mind, because by devotion to selfless work one attains the supreme goal of life. May they work carefully and wisely, guided by compassion and without thought for themselves. [Bhagavad Gita 3.19, minus "the Senators" of course]

United your resolve, united your hearts, may your spirits be as one, that you may long dwell in unity and concord. [Rig Veda 10.191.1]

Peace, peace, peace be unto all. ['Om Shanti', a standard prayer ending] Lord, we ask You to comfort the family of former First Lady, Lady Bird Johnson. Amen.


Disgusting sentiments, aren't they?

That said, I think it's a bit of a stretch to find incipient aspirations to martyrdom in the "protest" of these two idiots and their daughter.
__________________

__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 07-16-2007, 06:06 PM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
That said, I think it's a bit of a stretch to find incipient aspirations to martyrdom in the "protest" of these two idiots and their daughter.


i'm sure they'd all give their lives for the one true God and his son Jesus Christ.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 07-16-2007, 06:06 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 09:43 AM
I must admit - these protesters are a bit embarrassing.
__________________
AEON is offline  
Old 07-16-2007, 06:19 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511




genocide via drowning only happens to bad people. who deserve it.
II guess you are referring to the Flood story with Noah


I think that fewer and fewer believers buy the whole earth flood story.
That all living humans and animals are direct descendants from the Ark passengers.

I do think believers accept the Abram/ Abraham story.
That Abraham was compliant and willing to slaughter his son.

I was told this story at a very young age in Sunday School. And to even question it, would have been heresy.

I now think Abraham failed the test.
He should have said "No' to God.

"I will not slaughter an innocent.
Do with me what you will."
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 07-16-2007, 06:30 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
Guest chaplain Rajan Zed's prayer:


Let us pray. We meditate on the transcendental Glory of the Deity Supreme, who is inside the heart of the Earth, inside the life of the sky, and inside the soul of the Heaven. May He stimulate and illuminate our minds. [Rig Veda 3.10.62]


Disgusting sentiments, aren't they?

Yoland,

I have many evangelical Christian friends that would consider that a pagan religion, a false religion.

They would not be happy that this was being presented at their taxpayer expense.
Those values and beliefs are not what the founding fathers of America had in mind.
What next a Wiccan Priest?
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 07-16-2007, 07:31 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep
Yoland,

I have many evangelical Christian friends that would consider that a pagan religion, a false religion.

They would not be happy that this was being presented at their taxpayer expense.
Those values and beliefs are not what the founding fathers of America had in mind.
What next a Wiccan Priest?
Deep,

As you know, I am an “evangelical,” but I need to understand that America does have a pretty wide spectrum of religions. Our military Chaplains are trained to keep prayers as generic as possible, much like the one cited here. I think the civilian Chaplains are trained in the same manner.

I feel that we must be flexible unless ALL prayer will be prohibited. I would prefer prayers like this occasionally be given because I believe there is value in continuing with opening prayers.
__________________
AEON is offline  
Old 07-16-2007, 07:50 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON


Deep,

As you know, I am an “evangelical,” but I need to understand that America does have a pretty wide spectrum of religions. Our military Chaplains are trained to keep prayers as generic as possible, much like the one cited here. I think the civilian Chaplains are trained in the same manner.

I feel that we must be flexible unless ALL prayer will be prohibited. I would prefer prayers like this occasionally be given because I believe there is value in continuing with opening prayers.
I hear what you are saying.

And it is good to hear that your Chaplain is keeping it generic.

Are you aware of the serious problems that have happened recently with Chaplains and Officers going full-tilt evangelical?

I attend my local City Council meetings and they open with a prayer and the pledge. A couple of years back they passed a policy to go more generic, in lieu of the Jesus as God theme.

As the world gets smaller with the Internet and world trade,
some will push for more tolerance and understanding and some others will think that foreign cultures and beliefs are diluting traditional American values.

How would you feel if this prayer was offered in your child's public elementary school?
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 07-16-2007, 07:56 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep


I hear what you are saying.

And it is good to hear that your Chaplain is keeping it generic.

Are you aware of the serious problems that have happened recently with Chaplains and Officers going full-tilt evangelical?

I attend my local City Council meetings and they open with a prayer and the pledge. A couple of years back they passed a policy to go more generic, in lieu of the Jesus as God theme.

As the world gets smaller with the Internet and world trade,
some will push for more tolerance and understanding and some others will think that foreign cultures and beliefs are diluting traditional American values.

How would you feel if this prayer was offered in your child's public elementary school?
I would prefer that trained Chaplains offer prayers at public ceremonies. These men are women are trained to be generic and not combative.

I also understand that the military Chaplains you decribed were punished. I am transitioning from the Infantry to the Chaplain Corps - and one of things I am looking forward to is working with Rabbis, Priests, and other Protestant ministers from various denominations.

The main purpose of a Chaplain is to offer comfort, not proselytize or get political.
__________________
AEON is offline  
Old 07-16-2007, 08:02 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 05:43 PM
I am starting to think that Americans beat themselves up too much over separation of Church and State.

Can we imagine the reaction if someone tried to convert Muslims to Christianity in even one of the more 'liberal' Muslim states?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Status_...ts_in_Malaysia
__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 07-16-2007, 08:05 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 08:43 AM
In America, we set our standards for ourselves.
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 07-16-2007, 08:14 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2democrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: England by way of 'Murica.
Posts: 22,140
Local Time: 04:43 PM
A good friend of the family's and a former student of my Dad is a Chaplain in the Army. As a member of my denomination I can guarantee he keeps things inclusive. Just throwing that out there.
__________________
U2democrat is offline  
Old 07-16-2007, 08:59 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
A good friend of the family's and a former student of my Dad is a Chaplain in the Army. As a member of my denomination I can guarantee he keeps things inclusive. Just throwing that out there.
I have gone through the application process and one of the requirements is to be able to meet the spiritual needs of all soldiers and to have no issue with offering more generic public prayers. I can be more specific when giving services, but even then I would more than likely be asked to give a generic Protestant service. The only time a can really be denomination specific is when a member of my denomination comes and seeks me out.

I think overall the system works. There will always be those that push the envelope of what is expected, but most Chaplains I have known are very easy going, faithful, brave, and - dare I say - tolerant.
__________________
AEON is offline  
Old 07-17-2007, 03:22 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Song of the week "sentimental" by Porcupine Tree
Posts: 3,854
Local Time: 04:43 PM
hey

come on

there were no bomb blasts :-)..no one got killed...

no blood around in senate...no suicide bombers :

Few bigots uttering few words is OK...

however its very very apparent..these religions has fundamental problems
__________________
AcrobatMan is offline  
Old 07-17-2007, 04:05 PM   #45
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i'm sure they'd all give their lives for the one true God and his son Jesus Christ.
I wouldn't be surprised if they enjoyed fantasizing about how they would.

What would the cause they would be dying for be?
__________________

__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com