Hillary's "Joke" About Gandhi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ya know... if robin williams or chris rock said this same thing, i'd probably get a chuckle out of it. it's not soooo offensive where i can't find it funny. but it's something that shouldn't be comming out of the mouth of a politician... especially a former first lady, current senator (damn how i hate saying that), and future presidential candidate.

Maybe if I got the joke I'd be offended. Maybe not. In any case, she admitted it was lame and what else can she do? I don't like Hillary but I guess I don't see what the big deal is, but then again, I'm not all that easily offended these days.

ok, I'm totally offended by the joke and all but as a New Yorker I'm more offended by the fact that she's fund raising in Missouri when she should be...oh I don't know....maybe doing things for the state. Chuck Schumer was on TV two days ago talking about how he was creating a bill that would screen cargo carried by commercial jets to better protect the skies from terrorism. I only hope I'm still here in 2006 and can vote her out of office.

I'm really not in a mood to argue...

*post removed*

Last edited:
I really don't see what the fuss is all about. I didn't find it offensive, and the gentleman in the article didn't find it offensive, either. If there was cause to take offense, he probably had more reason to do so.

Misguided? Yes. Bad joke? Certainly. It would have been offensive had she backed such a misguided attempt at humour with sentiments alike - I don't think she does.

Ant.

joyfulgirl said:
but then again, I'm not all that easily offended these days.

I agree. People get their panties in a bunch for silly reasons. Daily deaths in Iraq seem much more important than a bad joke. If it wasn't Hillary it wouldn't even be an issue at all.

sharky said:
ok, I'm totally offended by the joke and all but as a New Yorker I'm more offended by the fact that she's fund raising in Missouri when she should be...oh I don't know....maybe doing things for the state. Chuck Schumer was on TV two days ago talking about how he was creating a bill that would screen cargo carried by commercial jets to better protect the skies from terrorism. I only hope I'm still here in 2006 and can vote her out of office.
:up::up:

nbcrusader said:
How quickly we forget about Trent Lott.....
:up::up:

I think this is a lot different than Trent Lott. Hillary made a dumb joke based on stereotypes, not hate. She is also not known for being a racist. Trent Lott said something to the effect that had Strom Thurmond been elected President in 1948, this country would not have "all these problems" today, Strom having run on a segregationist platform. Lott then apologized and said he didn't mean to imply that he agreed with Thurmond's past platform but he never explained what "all these problems" meant. One was tasteless, one was racist. Very different.

One person's "tasteless" is another person's "racist". Lott tried to compliment an elder statesman and never tied his comments to Thurmond's segregationist platform - that was done by the media and political opponents. The difference is in the politics of race.

nbcrusader said:
One person's "tasteless" is another person's "racist". Lott tried to compliment an elder statesman and never tied his comments to Thurmond's segregationist platform - that was done by the media and political opponents. The difference is in the politics of race.

Oh yes the liberal media again.

nbcrusader said:
Lott tried to compliment an elder statesman and never tied his comments to Thurmond's segregationist platform - that was done by the media and political opponents.

Then what were the "problems" that we have today that Lott mentioned? And was Strom running on a platform other than his segregationist policies?

Also, neither the media nor Lott's political opponents made any sort of fuss about Lott's comments at the time. I remember hearing a warm fuzzy audio clip of Lott and Thurmond from the birthday party on NPR for goodness sake! It wasn't until internet bloggers noticed Lott's comments and began spreading the word that this was even an issue at all. Of course once it became "newsworthy" the media pounced on it and it was all over the place.

Edited to add the link to the clip (requires RealPlayer). The relevant comments start 53 seconds in.
http://www.npr.org/dmg/dmg.php?prgCode=WESUN&showDate=08-Dec-2002&segNum=1&NPROldMediaPref=RM

Last edited:
Let's see....

The last time I commented on this topic I was labeled a racist.

Nope.....keeps mouth shut...moves on.....

Good for Hillary......It is about time she attempted to develop a sense of humor.

This was a piss-poor attempt at a joke to be sure, but were Ghandi alive today he'd be the first one not to make a big deal out of it. It was a stupid thing to say, but hardly enough to crucify her. Maybe she'd like to hear a few other jokes and expand her repertoire- I know a couple about velvet dresses and cigars :wink:

"You cannot shake hands with a closed fist" - Ghandi

Back
Top Bottom