Hillary on Iran: We Would Be Able to Totally Obliterate Them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:huh:

I understand you want to appear tough on defense, but that's quite possibly dumber than anything Bush or McCain have said on the subject.

Diemen said:
:huh:

I understand you want to appear tough on defense, but that's quite possibly dumber than anything Bush or McCain have said on the subject.

I agree.

She said this a week ago. Where is the outrage from MoveOn, Michael Moore, Code Pink, etc.?

Hillary Clinton will say ANYTHING to get elected - to appear the "toughest". She is ruthless, a liar and not to be trusted. However, the way the media is now attacking Obama from all sides with regards to the Rev. Wright controversy it wouldn't surprise me at all if she stole the nomination. If that is the case I will personally give up on America completely, I say "completely" because I was still holding out a tiny hope that something could possibly change for the better but if Clinton or McCain get elected then something close to doomsday is right around the corner.

Being FYM, a Presidential candidate threatening genocide will probably generate around 5 responses, while threads discussing whether or not one soap actor called another a f*gg*t and whether a radio show host who was rude about some black girls on air should merely resign or commit hara-kiri go to around 700 pages.

The choice of Presidential candidates, overall, is really incredibly poor, and I think a lot of this is due to the way the system is designed. There were some very good candidates that the system rejected - Dennis Kucinch, Ron Paul, Joseph Biden.

Now we are down to the last three and having this Zionist stooge and her Republican counterpart (who is probably even worse) as candidates still very much in the game shows up the US system as currently constituted to be completely and utterly crap. It's probably one of the worst democracies in the world, and I'm being nice to even include it within the ambit of 'democracy'.

Countries like Ireland and Switzerland - for example - have much better systems, but the US, as always, knows best.

Last edited:
Well yes, we probably could obliterate them. I'd prefer to hear her talk about what we should do, however.

If she thinks that's what we should do, then ... jeeeeeeeez.

I find it interesting that the context of this statement was conveniently omitted by our OP.

Clinton further displayed tough talk in an interview airing on "Good Morning America" Tuesday. ABC News' Chris Cuomo asked Clinton what she would do if Iran attacked Israel with nuclear weapons.

"I want the Iranians to know that if I'm the president, we will attack Iran," Clinton said. "In the next 10 years, during which they might foolishly consider launching an attack on Israel, we would be able to totally obliterate them."

So, basically, Hillary is saying that she'd "attack and obliterate Iran" in the context of a hypothetical Iranian nuclear strike. In all fairness, does anyone here think that Bush or McCain would wait for something as large as a nuclear attack before considering attacking Iran? After all, the GOP has become the party of the "preemptive strike," and Hillary's comment was certainly not "preemptive" in context.

Basically, it was a standard question to see if she'd have the balls to make tough military decisions, if she had to. And what other choice did she have in answering this question? I would see FOX News et al. jumping all over her, if she had stated at all that she'd just sit back and do nothing. Then she'd be portrayed as "weak on military matters."

melon said:
I find it interesting that the context of this statement was conveniently omitted by our OP.

So, basically, Hillary is saying that she'd "attack and obliterate Iran" in the context of a hypothetical Iranian nuclear strike. In all fairness, does anyone here think that Bush or McCain would wait for something as large as a nuclear attack before considering attacking Iran? After all, the GOP has become the party of the "preemptive strike," and Hillary's comment was certainly not "preemptive" in context.

Basically, it was a standard question to see if she'd have the balls to make tough military decisions, if she had to. And what other choice did she have in answering this question? I would see FOX News et al. jumping all over her, if she had stated at all that she'd just sit back and do nothing. Then she'd be portrayed as "weak on military matters."

O.K sure...but quit defending the witch o.k.
Let us wallow in her mistakes as the Rev. Wright destroys Obama

Harry Vest said:

O.K sure...but quit defending the witch o.k.
Let us wallow in her mistakes

it was not a mistake

if Iran nukes Israel or wipes them off the map

the answer is not

"I will talk to our enemies"

and as for Obama

who was against preemptive attack on Iraq in 2002?

Well, in 2004 he was for preemptive attack on Iran

Obama would consider missile strikes on Iran

By David Mendell, Tribune staff reporter

September 25, 2004

U.S. Senate candidate Barack Obama suggested Friday that the United States one day might have to launch surgical missile strikes into Iran and Pakistan to keep extremists from getting control of nuclear bombs.

Obama, a Democratic state senator from the Hyde Park neighborhood, made the remarks during a meeting Friday with the Tribune editorial board. Obama’s Republican opponent, Alan Keyes, was invited to attend the same session but declined.

Iran announced on Tuesday that it has begun converting tons of uranium into gas, a crucial step in making fuel for a nuclear reactor or a nuclear bomb. The International Atomic Energy Agency has called for Iran to suspend all such activities.

Obama said the United States must first address Iran’s attempt to gain nuclear capabilities by going before the United Nations Security Council and lobbying the international community to apply more pressure on Iran to cease nuclear activities. That pressure should come in the form of economic sanctions, he said.

But if those measures fall short, the United States should not rule out military strikes to destroy nuclear production sites in Iran, Obama said.

“The big question is going to be, if Iran is resistant to these pressures, including economic sanctions, which I hope will be imposed if they do not cooperate, at what point are we going to, if any, are we going to take military action?” Obama asked.

Given the continuing war in Iraq, the United States is not in a position to invade Iran, but missile strikes might be a viable option, he said. Obama conceded that such strikes might further strain relations between the U.S. and the Arab world.

"Missile strikes" and "Obliterate" are two totally different things.
One suggests tactical targeting and the other suggests total annihilation of a country. Dare I say it's a bit of a difference.

melon said:
So, basically, Hillary is saying that she'd "attack and obliterate Iran" in the context of a hypothetical Iranian nuclear strike.

And what other choice did she have in answering this question?
Exactly...I'm wondering what some of the people jumping all over her here would've suggested she say instead.

Harry Vest said:
"Missile strikes" and "Obliterate" are two totally different things.

You haven't seen what just a missle strike by our country can do lately, have you ?
Not that I want to see anything like this, mind ya.

Oh and no wallowing allowed. Melon was right. There was no mistake hence no outrage..

financeguy said:
Being FYM, a Presidential candidate threatening genocide will probably generate around 5 responses, while threads discussing whether or not one soap actor called another a f*gg*t and whether a radio show host who was rude about some black girls on air should merely resign or commit hara-kiri go to around 700 pages.

[...]

Countries like Ireland and Switzerland - for example - have much better systems, but the US, as always, knows best.

unfounded disdain does not become you, especially when you're not nearly as informed about US politics as you'd like to fancy yourself. were Iran to nuke Tel Aviv, Switzerland and Ireland would stand and applaud as Tehran were likewise leveled.

HRC's comments are defensible in context, and deep's predictable Obama spin is ... well, predictable.

I believe she said and made it clear that it would be strictly a nuclear attack by Iran on Israel. I'm not into that either but that's what she said. Yes of course some people want to see if "she has the balls", while at the same time they would jump all over her for having them. No need to call her a "witch" really, but that's the way around here.

Who cares about the other comment ...personally I'm completely bored by it.

Irvine511 said:

unfounded disdain does not become you, especially when you're not nearly as informed about US politics as you'd like to fancy yourself. were Iran to nuke Tel Aviv, Switzerland and Ireland would stand and applaud as Tehran were likewise leveled.

HRC's comments are defensible in context, and deep's predictable Obama spin is ... well, predictable.

Well, Switzerland would be neutral as always and quietly be happy about the gold and money lying in their banks which no one is asking for, anymore. :wink:

Irvine511 said:

Just ask yourself....do you honestly think Clinton, Obama and McCain are better candidates than Dennis Kucinch, Ron Paul, Joseph Biden?

financeguy said:

Just ask yourself....do you honestly think Clinton, Obama and McCain are better candidates than Dennis Kucinch, Ron Paul, Joseph Biden?

yes, better than Kucinich and Ron Paul.

Biden i do respect and think that as foreign policy goes, he is the most qualified of all.

but it's a complicated process, and a president is a different figure than a PM.

i'm sorry if i came off a little brusque in my last post. it's been a long and wearisome past few weeks.

Vincent Vega said:

Well, Switzerland would be neutral as always and quietly be happy about the gold and money lying in their banks which no one is asking for, anymore. :wink:

I condemn all forms of tax evasion, however this does contradict my point about Switzerland having one of the purest forms of democracy in the globe today.

Irvine511 said:
yes, better than Kucinich and Ron Paul.

I would have to respectfully disagree.

Irvine511 said:
Biden i do respect and think that as foreign policy goes, he is the most qualified of all.

Biden was an excellent candidate. I cannot understand why he was ignored by the media. Possibly not good enough at soundbites.

Irvine511 said:
i'm sorry if i came off a little brusque in my last post. it's been a long and wearisome past few weeks.

No worries.

financeguy said:

I would have to respectfully disagree.

Biden was an excellent candidate. I cannot understand why he was ignored by the media. Possibly not good enough at soundbites.

No worries.

Thank you, financeguy!! Finally someone else who understands that JOE BIDEN and not any of these clowns should be getting the Democratic nomination. The media, more than in any election ever, picked their candidates a long time out and were stubborn about it. Think of the headlines- a black or a female. Then they finally started covering that trial lawyer snake down there in NC (Edwards maybe) when they absolutely had to. Biden is not only the best on foreign policy, anyone who listened to the debates saw that he had the best, no spin answers on education, the budget, tax cuts, energy, crime and health care. Joe Biden is an incredibly smart, effective and humble public servant who is one of the few "Washington politicians" who has not been corrupted too much by the process.(There is his relationship w/ the credit card industry, but that is necessary for electoral survival in Deleware- Biden wants public financing to address that: why should he unilaterally disarm, so to speak?)

As to Hillary's comment, let me clear a few things up. Deep: just because someone was against the Iraq war does not mean they would not support pre emptive strikes when there is an ACTUAL THREAT! Iraq had none of those weapons, and that was obvious to anyone who paid attention to President Clinton, the inspection process in the 1990s, and the pre-9/11 statements of Condi Rice and Colin Powell. Not to mention the skepticism expresses by many in our military, intelligence and political spheres in the run up to the war. Hillary of course would act should Iran get nuclear weapons, in order to defend the country, as would Obama or McCain. The problem is with this GODDAMN hypothetical Israel statement that the media loves to hit candidates with. Hello, since when do our politicians work for Israel? I know they all think they do, but I suggest they read the Constitution. Seriously, us defending Israel at all costs is the main reason we are in this mess with the Arab world in the first place. If Israel gets attacked, they are a very wealthy, very militarily capable country with far more nuclear weapons than their only regional competitor, Pakistan. THEY CAN TAKE CARE OF THEMSELVES. The constant US taxpayer gravy train to Israel is a true scandal.

Is the media clueless? Reports by our own intelligence community have shown that Iran is 10 years away from aquiring a nuclear weapon, at best, and that their program(never far advanced at all) had been shut down since 2003. The pre 2003 program and Iran's current nuclear experimentation is for domestic energy purposes, Cheney and Rumsfeld know this. Let me explain: in 1976, Gerald Ford, sec defense Rumsfeld and chief of staff Cheney were involved in a deal with the Shah to get materials for nuclear energy to Iran because it had been correctly observed that 30 yrs down the road, Iran would no longer be able to cover the cost of domestic energy w/ oil exports. I am not good at math, but that puts us in 2006, right around the time the same Cheney claimed that he had no idea how Iran could be pursuing anything but nuclear weapons. He knew damn well that the shortage he had predicted and the policy he helped create was materializing, but of course, why admit that when you are trying to hold Congress and distract from Iraq? Get informed, people, the same guys have been running things since the 1970s and they have been on both sides of every issue. Thats how you know they are lying to you. Iran poses no threat whatsoever to us, and it serves as a convenient election year distraction for people who have no idea about foreign policy- namely Hillary and Obama.

Finance guy: Thought you might like my paraphrase of Joe Biden's response to the Chris Cuomo Israel question, at a debate a month before the Bhuttos assassination and turmoil in Pakistan. Basically, Biden said that they would not get the weapon for 10 years, that even if they did, they would not stand a chance of attacking Israel or anyone else. Why? Because as soon as it is rolled out onto the ramp, we will use one of our weapons that is working so well in taking out bridges in Iraq to blow up the weapon and the entire facility. Its that easy. Never mind star wars or the like, just take the goddamn eminently detectable nuclear bomb out, threaten them with more if they do not stop their shit. Watch how quick they back down. Remember how quick Khruchev and Castro backed down just with an embargo and threats in the Cuban missile crisis?? Ahmadinejad is just grandstanding trying to gain support with the radical element in Iran, this is nothing more than saber rattling that he does not in the least bit mean. He does not want to actually mess with us, believe me. Then Biden went on to say that, if by striking Iran now because they have supposedly gotten 1 ounce of some nuclear material, we enflame the Arab world even more and the government of Pakistan falls to extremists who get their hands on a fully developed nuclear arsenal, we have made a grave mistake. Which threat is greater, Iran with a little bit of material, or extremists with their fingers on the button of an entire nuclear arsenal in Pakistan? Biden: ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE. Hillary and Obama were completely lost at that point in the debate, no one said anything about Pakistan again until AFTER Bhutto. Goes to show how bad the media and the Democrats screwed up by ignoring Biden. Every single debate, when anyone, Clinton and Obama included, answered a question that Biden had already answered, they just said "I agree with Joe." Seriously, look it up on youtube, they did a commerical on it. I really thought he would do better.

Last edited:
U2387 said:

Thank you, financeguy!! Finally someone else who understands that JOE BIDEN and not any of these clowns should be getting the Democratic nomination. The media, more than in any election ever, picked their candidates a long time out and were stubborn about it. Think of the headlines- a black or a female. Then they finally started covering that trial lawyer snake down there in NC (Edwards maybe) when they absolutely had to. Biden is not only the best on foreign policy, anyone who listened to the debates saw that he had the best, no spin answers on education, the budget, tax cuts, energy, crime and health care. Joe Biden is an incredibly smart, effective and humble public servant who is one of the few "Washington politicians" who has not been corrupted too much by the process.(There is his relationship w/ the credit card industry, but that is necessary for electoral survival in Deleware- Biden wants public financing to address that: why should he unilaterally disarm, so to speak?)

As to Hillary's comment, let me clear a few things up. Deep: just because someone was against the Iraq war does not mean they would not support pre emptive strikes when there is an ACTUAL THREAT! Iraq had none of those weapons, and that was obvious to anyone who paid attention to President Clinton, the inspection process in the 1990s, and the pre-9/11 statements of Condi Rice and Colin Powell. Not to mention the skepticism expresses by many in our military, intelligence and political spheres in the run up to the war. Hillary of course would act should Iran get nuclear weapons, in order to defend the country, as would Obama or McCain. The problem is with this GODDAMN hypothetical Israel statement that the media loves to hit candidates with. Hello, since when do our politicians work for Israel? I know they all think they do, but I suggest they read the Constitution. Seriously, us defending Israel at all costs is the main reason we are in this mess with the Arab world in the first place. If Israel gets attacked, they are a very wealthy, very militarily capable country with far more nuclear weapons than their only regional competitor, Pakistan. THEY CAN TAKE CARE OF THEMSELVES. The constant US taxpayer gravy train to Israel is a true scandal.

Is the media clueless? Reports by our own intelligence community have shown that Iran is 10 years away from aquiring a nuclear weapon, at best, and that their program(never far advanced at all) had been shut down since 2003. The pre 2003 program and Iran's current nuclear experimentation is for domestic energy purposes, Cheney and Rumsfeld know this. Let me explain: in 1976, Gerald Ford, sec defense Rumsfeld and chief of staff Cheney were involved in a deal with the Shah to get materials for nuclear energy to Iran because it had been correctly observed that 30 yrs down the road, Iran would no longer be able to cover the cost of domestic energy w/ oil exports. I am not good at math, but that puts us in 2006, right around the time the same Cheney claimed that he had no idea how Iran could be pursuing anything but nuclear weapons. He knew damn well that the shortage he had predicted and the policy he helped create was materializing, but of course, why admit that when you are trying to hold Congress and distract from Iraq? Get informed, people, the same guys have been running things since the 1970s and they have been on both sides of every issue. Thats how you know they are lying to you. Iran poses no threat whatsoever to us, and it serves as a convenient election year distraction for people who have no idea about foreign policy- namely Hillary and Obama.

Finance guy: Thought you might like my paraphrase of Joe Biden's response to the Chris Cuomo Israel question, at a debate a month before the Bhuttos assassination and turmoil in Pakistan. Basically, Biden said that they would not get the weapon for 10 years, that even if they did, they would not stand a chance of attacking Israel or anyone else. Why? Because as soon as it is rolled out onto the ramp, we will use one of our weapons that is working so well in taking out bridges in Iraq to blow up the weapon and the entire facility. Its that easy. Never mind star wars or the like, just take the goddamn eminently detectable nuclear bomb out, threaten them with more if they do not stop their shit. Watch how quick they back down. Remember how quick Khruchev and Castro backed down just with an embargo and threats in the Cuban missile crisis?? Ahmadinejad is just grandstanding trying to gain support with the radical element in Iran, this is nothing more than saber rattling that he does not in the least bit mean. He does not want to actually mess with us, believe me. Then Biden went on to say that, if by striking Iran now because they have supposedly gotten 1 ounce of some nuclear material, we enflame the Arab world even more and the government of Pakistan falls to extremists who get their hands on a fully developed nuclear arsenal, we have made a grave mistake. Which threat is greater, Iran with a little bit of material, or extremists with their fingers on the button of an entire nuclear arsenal in Pakistan? Biden: ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE. Hillary and Obama were completely lost at that point in the debate, no one said anything about Pakistan again until AFTER Bhutto. Goes to show how bad the media and the Democrats screwed up by ignoring Biden. Every single debate, when anyone, Clinton and Obama included, answered a question that Biden had already answered, they just said "I agree with Joe." Seriously, look it up on youtube, they did a commerical on it. I really thought he would do better.

Some very good points here. I agree with you completely.

Back
Top Bottom