Hillary "demoralizes troops"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
[Q]Saturday Nov. 29, 2003; 10:18 a.m. EST Hillary to Troops: Support for War Fading

In a demoralizing message to U.S. soldiers serving in Iraq, visiting New York Sen. Hillary Clinton told them that Americans back home are growing increasingly skeptical of President Bush's decision to send them into battle.

Describing two meetings with G.I.s over turkey dinners in Baghdad, Sen. Clinton told reporters later that soldiers wanted to know "how the people at home feel about what we are doing."

Clinton said she told the troops, "Americans are wholeheartedly proud of what you are doing but there are many questions at home about the (Bush) administration's policies."

She also suggested that the U.S. could eventually lose the war in Iraq, contending, "We have to exert all of our efforts militarily, but the outcome is not assured."

Despite her sour pronouncements, the former first lady insisted that the soldiers were just as glad to see her as they were President Bush, whose surprise visit less than 24-hours earlier was greeted with standing ovations.

"It's a positive for the commander-in-chief to visit troops in the field," Clinton told reporters, adding, "the troops [also] seemed to appreciate seeing myself."

Speaking from a secure location just over the Kuwaiti border, Mrs. Clinton launched one verbal salvo after another at the White House, arguing that Bush officials had been "obsessed" with getting Saddam Hussein and saying the perception blinded them to the difficulties of deposing his regime.

"The Pentagon tried to make do with as few troops as possible, as light a footprint as they could get away with," Clinton said. "Now, we're playing catchup . . . Unfortunately, I don't think they fully appreciated the conditions we would encounter."

The top Democrat also reprised her charge that the White House is being less than candid when it comes to apprising the American people of the costs of the war.

"The obstacles and problems here are much greater than the administration usually admits to," she said, adding, "Everybody has to be honest."[/Q]

Now, two days ago it was asked what the difference was between the President visitng the troops and Senator Clinton visitng the troops and here it is.......

You can say that the President used it as a political forum, but there was not ONE political attack on the democratic party in his message. I posted his entire speech. He was there in the capacity of commander in chief.

According to this article she has directly told the troops:

the American people's support is waining
they might lose the war
and used this as a forum to launch attacks on the White House.

Mrs. Clinton was NOT there in the interests of the troops. She was there to forward her own political agenda, whatever that may be. It most definitely was not to lift the spirits of the troops.

pic7.jpg

Last edited:
Who's side is she on? The liberal motto is 'that it's patriotic to question and protest the government,' which I agree with. However, like a lot of liberal rhetoric, the remarks she made to the troops were both damaging and filled with an agenda.

I guess the question is, what is that agenda?

Hillary Clinton told them that Americans back home are growing increasingly skeptical of President Bush's decision to send them into battle.

Clinton said she told the troops, "Americans are wholeheartedly proud of what you are doing but there are many questions at home about the (Bush) administration's policies."

She told them what's honestly going on back here in the states.

There is a growing number of people questioning this administration. There is doubt rising.

Did you want her to lie?

Troop Families Go to Iraq on Peace Mission

Nov 29, 6:51 PM (ET)

(AP) Fernando Suarez del Solar sits in his Escondido, Calif., home Thursday, Nov. 27, 2003, while...

SAN DIEGO (AP) - Relatives of U.S. service members said they were nervous but hopeful Saturday as they embarked on a private peace mission to Iraq, where they will bring their message of friendship and doubts about the war.

The leader of the 10-member group, Fernando Suarez del Solar, said it is important for Iraqis to realize that not all Americans support the U.S. military presence in Iraq. His son, Marine Lance Cpl. Jesus Suarez del Solar, 20, was killed in Iraq eight months ago when he stepped on an unexploded American cluster bomb.

"The regular Americans like peace," Suarez del Solar, 48, said in a telephone interview a few hours before the group's scheduled departure. "The enemy is not the people from America.

"The young boys in Iraq only see the American flag on the uniforms. They see that as the destroyer of their life and family. It's very important to try to reach them."

The group included two wives of soldiers based at Fort Bragg, N.C., and four veterans of the Vietnam and Gulf wars, two of whom have children on duty in Iraq.

"I'm feeling a little nervous but too much optimistic," said Suarez del Solar. "I know the military commander over there in Iraq doesn't like my trip, but more important is the people in Iraq."

The group raised donations to pay for the trip, and received letters of support from 25 members of Congress. After a flight to Jordan, they planned to drive into Iraq.

In Baghdad, coalition spokesman Sgt. Danny Martin expressed concern about the safety of the delegation, but said this past week that their effort would be appreciated.

"Any assistance in keeping the entire nation stable and peaceful and secure is more than welcome," he said.

While she has the right to express her own personally held views in the proper forums as others have said, she used her position to further her agenda against the Bush admin at the expense of the soldiers she was addressing at a most inopportune time and to me that makes her shameful.

Perhaps Hilary's skills are going to waste, however: since she's had plenty of practise hunting down Bill in various pubs, brothels, intern's thongs, broom closets etc, I suggest we send her out scouting caves in Afghanistan. With her experience she'd rouse old Bin Laden from his cave no prob.

:hmm:, I don't know what to think..I don't think that was the time or place to launch her verbal attack on the White House. Those men and women are risking their lives every day, and they need and deserve moral support and encouragement. That doesn't mean they should be lied to, but they are intelligent men and women w/ minds of their own.

They did ask her "how the people at home feel about what they are doing", which in my opinion is different from what we feel about what Bush or the rest of the govt is doing.

I guess in general what she did was distasteful, considering where she was. But she had a right to say it I suppose :shrug:

I just wish, at times, politics could be left out of certain situations.

LCK said:
While she has the right to express her own personally held views in the proper forums as others have said, she used her position to further her agenda against the Bush admin at the expense of the soldiers she was addressing at a most inopportune time and to me that makes her shameful.

Perhaps Hilary's skills are going to waste, however: since she's had plenty of practise hunting down Bill in various pubs, brothels, intern's thongs, broom closets etc, I suggest we send her out scouting caves in Afghanistan. With her experience she'd rouse old Bin Laden from his cave no prob.

Great post:up:
others see her as a-

a blatant methodical oppurtunist.

db9

I don't think that was the time or place for an anti-war agenda, quite frankly. Quite obviously I *do* believe there is a time and a place for an anti-war agenda, and that's in meetings and rallies. No, I don't want anyone to lie. But those reports about suicides in Iraq make me nervous about their morale, and this is something you don't play with. It's a serious situation. It's just not the best thing for their psychological well-being, I don't think. They are our troops, and I think we should support them.

I wish I could find the quote I read recently.....I think it was Churchill who said it...but I read it while I was in my drug haze....it was something along the lines of it was good to criticize your governement, just not while you were on foreign soil. Something alnog those lines.

MrsSpringsteen said:
:
They did ask her "how the people at home feel about what they are doing",...

Of course she should tell the truth, even though we know that the Clinton's have no problem lying right in people's faces. But did Sen. Clinton have to respond with negative comments about the soldier's Commander and Chief, or could she have stopped with just telling them that the people back home support them, thus effective answering the question?

But what would you expect from a conniving, manipulative and heartless person?

Dreadsox said:
I wish I could find the quote I read recently.....I think it was Churchill who said it...but I read it while I was in my drug haze....it was something along the lines of it was good to criticize your governement, just not while you were on foreign soil. Something alnog those lines.

I disagree vehemently with this quote, if it is as you have worded it.

Why? Because it invalidates people who have sought political asylum, who have fought for change in the countries they have left.

I did preface that I was in a HAZE....and I am pretty sure the context of it if it was Churchill has nothing to do with the political assylum situation. Hillary certainly is not in need of such.

I found the quote...

[Q]When I am abroad, I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the government of my own country. I make up for lost time when I come home.
Sir Winston Churchill[/Q]

Hilllary and the Dixie Chicks could learn from this...unless they are political refugees and I am not aware of this.:sexywink:

I still really don't understand why you'd have to do that. Plenty of the greatest minds would go abroad and comment on the happenings at home, even when they weren't refugees, as you put it. I don't see any harm in it; there's something to be said for honesty. If you go abroad and criticize the economic policies of your country, so what? If you criticize military spending or eroding health care or foreign policy, I don't see that as any worse just because you're abroad. If nobody did this, half the world's professors would fall into silence.

I once had a professor, he was American, and back in the 60s or 70s, he got a major grant (he was a biochemist). It permitted him to basically go on sabbatical for a year, and he chose to go to Cambridge. He said he got there and met with a guy who won the Nobel in Chemistry, and that person asked him why he chose to come to Britain instead of working in the USA. And my professor's response was, "Because the Americans are doing lots of things, but the British are doing brilliant things." He said he got criticized later for saying it, but that didn't make it any less true, in his opinion. I thought of him today, he was a cool guy.

Good points, anitram. I recall being in England and someone asking me if I supported the Reagan Administration. I didn't, and I didn't lie to the guy. I didn't think what Hillary did was in the best of taste. If I happened to be in another country of course I'd have to be honest about not voting for Bush.

Last edited:
sue4u2 said:

Yes, let's all be good little sheep, and blindly follow this administration even to the extent of putting restrictions on what one can say when, to whom and in what country. Sorry, but I'm not playing.

You did see me WINK? Like I was making a JOKE....my GOD...when did we lose our sense of humor in here? Of course I see you cut that out in your QUOTE.

EDIT....

of course I must be a mindless sheep since I think it is inappropriate to put into troops muinds that there is waining support at home for the war....and to attack the administration in the combat zone.

Last edited:
anitram said:
I still really don't understand why you'd have to do that. Plenty of the greatest minds would go abroad and comment on the happenings at home, even when they weren't refugees, as you put it. I don't see any harm in it; there's something to be said for honesty. If you go abroad and criticize the economic policies of your country, so what? If you criticize military spending or eroding health care or foreign policy, I don't see that as any worse just because you're abroad. If nobody did this, half the world's professors would fall into silence.

I am not sure that he is necessarily speaking about professors or the average Joe on the street. That is the problem I have with quotes, and this may be the first time you have ever seen me cite a quote in FYM in this manner. I usually am the person going back searching for the context of the quote.

In this case, Churchill, being a man of some stature, may have been asked a question after being Prime Minister. He may not have wanted to rock the boat and this was his response.

My favorite part of the quote is about what he does when he is home though.

Nice points Anitram!

I saw that. I got it too! See all's not lost. On that note leave Hillary alone. You know she can't get elected, just riding along on her husbands coatails, everybody hates her and she can't raise money for the democratic party, so why go on about her. :blahblah:
* I'm getting kicked off this f ing isp server. 3rd time this afternoon so this probably won't post, time to go read*

I gotcha--yeah, Winston Churchill was a big time representative of his country. You have to consider the context not just the words.

Good thing no one on here is running for President or in influential politics. Same kind of thing as what Hilary has done, the only thing that changes is which party's supporter is doing the talking.
*add plus it will make no difference to anyone, what is discussed within here...but its really neither here nor there is it. Dont want to miss a golden opportunity for a shit flinging!
:sexywink:

I need a translation...I started this as a serious thread....:wink:

She had no business doing this. I mean this as someone who wore the uniform of the United States Army. I would not have appreciated her doing this no matter what my political affiliations.

She does not belong making statements about the administrations policies in the middle of Iraq. I wholeheartedly support her right to do it at home.

Fernando,

Those look like goats to me. Am I that far removed from a Zoology class or are they just really FUGLY sheep?

Back
Top Bottom