Hillary "demoralizes troops"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was serious in my reply, but didn't want to sound so critical Dread lol. She was wrong to do this in many people's eyes regardless of which party they support. The manner in which she stepped up on her little box was poor. My main point was we expect and demand our politicians do the respectful thing when it is due, yet at times we don't extend that curtesy ourselves. Any opportunity is a good opportunity to paint the other side as whatever the given topic might dictate. This is a more fair example of pointing out a flaw in an action someone has undertaken, but how often is it not so fair? How often do we jump on any other random happening to promote our own agenda and ideals in a bid to point a finger or highlight a certain lack of class and respect? We do this ourselves when using examples of politicians doing the precise same thing.
:shrug:

Angela Harlem said:
I was serious in my reply, but didn't want to sound so critical Dread lol. She was wrong to do this in many people's eyes regardless of which party they support. The manner in which she . My main point was we expect and demand our politicians do the respectful thing when it is due, yet at times we don't extend that curtesy ourselves. Any opportunity is a good opportunity to paint the other side as whatever the given topic might dictate. thing.
:shrug:

Angela-
You shouldnt shrug your sholuders.
In our country when we elect offcials we expect a certain decourm
in the public eye.
We also expect this sort of decourm to manifest itself in an international setting especially when at war w/a certain country.

For the record I cannot rememeber any Republican Senator in recent history EVER knocking the policies of a sitting president the way this person demonsrated.

My prediction is w/this act of outlandishness, she has just sealed her polictical fate.
She is now yesterday's news.

Her fans will call her brave, the majority of Americans will see her as the way you put it-
"stepped up on her little box was poor"

You were correct.
Wait, watch and see.:yes:

DB9

Last edited:
I don't get this almost hysterical paranoia over Hillary. Maybe it is because I don't live in the USA, that I never really saw her as a serious candidate for president, nor do I find her to be particularly likeable or personable. Is she that much of a threat to the conservative side that they get all bent out of shape anytime she does anything public?

I find her kind of silly and annoying, not much more. :scratch:

anitram said:
I don't get this almost hysterical paranoia over Hillary. Maybe it is because I don't live in the USA,

these 2 statements are the most correct you have made.:up:

DB9

anitram said:
Is she that much of a threat to the conservative side that they get all bent out of shape anytime she does anything public?

Its more her "HAIL TO THE PRINCESS" demeanor that gets most normal folk worked up..
(conseratives
moderates
and
independents)

ultraliberals and angry women love her.:)

DB9

Last edited:
Diamond, any country hopes and expects the same of their elected officials. Regardless of party, most agree there is a time and a place and while joining with troops on turkey day, is not said time or place.
You say you cannot remember a rep doing this in recent history. Score another to you? Is that why you guys do this? Because it matters to keep a running tally of every stupid error each representative of each party makes? I'm sure the liberals have as many on their score card for every balls up one of your guys has done too. Infact, there are entire web sites dedicated to the stupid things your most recent has said. In this case, it is more sensitive and in light of what is happening and why the troops are there you are all right that it is very low of her. Americans seem so party focused and a little blind to the fact all of them stuff up every now and then. Maybe not blind, but willing to gloss over or find any kind of justification if it looks like face will be lost. The pot and the kettle, you know?

As for whether this will be her grand undoing, I doubt it. America is not stupid, it will take more than this ballsup to take away votes from her which I happen to think will eventuate anyway. Its not going to help, but its not the ultimate deciding factor surely.

Angela Harlem said:
Diamond, any country hopes and expects the same of their elected officials. Regardless of party, most agree there is a time and a place and while joining with troops on turkey day, is not said time or place.
You say you cannot remember a rep doing this in recent history. Score another to you? Is that why you guys do this? Because it matters to keep a running tally of every stupid error each representative of each party makes? I'm sure the liberals have as many on their score card for every balls up one of your guys has done too. Infact, there are entire web sites dedicated to the stupid things your most recent has said. In this case, it is more sensitive and in light of what is happening and why the troops are there you are all right that it is very low of her. Americans seem so party focused and a little blind to the fact all of them stuff up every now and then. Maybe not blind, but willing to gloss over or find any kind of justification if it looks like face will be lost. The pot and the kettle, you know?

As for whether this will be her grand undoing, I doubt it. America is not stupid, it will take more than this ballsup to take away votes from her which I happen to think will eventuate anyway. Its not going to help, but its not the ultimate deciding factor surely.

Listen to me you little Aussie-;)
I dont think this was a 'stupid error' on her part.
I think it was a calculated, formulated move, and I do think it will lead to her eventul undoing and downfall.
She did not a "bonehead thing" but close to an unpardonable blunder that she didnt realize but will realize later.:yes:

Watch and see.:)

DB9

Did you even read that Diamond? :wink: A stupid error it is, calculated or not. I'm not arguing with you on the merits of what she did.
This is nuts lol....

Dreadsox said:
Fernando,

Those look like goats to me. Am I that far removed from a Zoology class or are they just really FUGLY sheep?

Having grown up on a DAIRY GOAT FARM (truth) I can tell you these are sheep. You are mistaking these for Saanen Goats, when in fact they are shaved down sheep. Here is a Saanen...and I can understand the case of mistaken identity.

saanen.jpg

Last edited:
Because it matters to keep a running tally of every stupid error each representative of each party makes?

Unfortunately this is what partisan politics boils down to these days. It's crap.

THIS is being blown way out of proportion. I'm not a fan of hers and I'm not going to defend what she did, but this debate is bordering on silly and to call this her demise is ridiculous.

verte76 said:
I don't think that was the time or place for an anti-war agenda, quite frankly. Quite obviously I *do* believe there is a time and a place for an anti-war agenda, and that's in meetings and rallies. No, I don't want anyone to lie. But those reports about suicides in Iraq make me nervous about their morale, and this is something you don't play with. It's a serious situation. It's just not the best thing for their psychological well-being, I don't think. They are our troops, and I think we should support them.

i couldn't have said it any better myself. saying you support the troops while at the same time saying you don't agree with what they're doing and neither does a lot of america kinda negates the support now doesn't it?

and again i would like to reiterate... as i do in every post about hillary... that it sure would be nice if she spent some time here in new york working on our problems. after all, that is what we're supposedly paying her to do.

In my opinion....and I do not wish this to be the topic of this thread,,,She IS the best hope of the democratic party...

She dwarfs any of the candidates....

Angela Harlem said:
That's a goat Dread...I am so confused lol....

The picture I posted is a goat....the one I had earlier in my signature was of sheep.

Hi, I'm just adding another post after coming back to this discussion to read the new posts. I would never tell someone they didn't have the right to an honest opinion or to speak their mind but the 'time and place' thing is very true here. To use a personal example, I'm employed by a local school board & I work in an elementary school. I can and do speak out about issues, (lol its a wee bit of a joke with the principle as to what I'll be up on my soap box about next), however this is what staff meetings are for, school board meetings. A serious issue I can schedule a meeting with the principle or whoever myself. But if I am representing our school- ie at a fundraising event, I would not misuse this opportunity to air my grievances. This is a conflict of interests. Hilary presented herself in this light (a conflict of interests) at the expense of the troops. Did she actually care one iota about these troops, did she see them as individuals or human beings, or were they just pawns to further her agenda?

anitram said:
Is she that much of a threat to the conservative side that they get all bent out of shape anytime she does anything public?

Simple answer. Yes. Otherwise why would people be so inclined to say this is going to be her demise. Please. it so WAY! blown out of proportion. Supporting her or not, the debate always gets attention. It'll get her elected. Watch what I say.

diamond said:

Haha...and this was the same Peggy Noonan who was on the "Today" show this morning trying to say that Reagan was pro-union. Can you say "biased"?

Melon

She....what? Peggy Noonan claimed that Reagan was pro-union? What a joke. If Reagan was pro-union I was born on a UFO. And actually, folks, I was born in a hospital.

Re: Hillary Clinton, Princess?

diamond said:

Its more her "HAIL TO THE PRINCESS" demeanor that gets most normal folk worked up..
(conseratives
moderates
and
independents)

ultraliberals and angry women love her.:)

DB9

Diamond explains it all.
No wonder I "love" Hillary--I'm an angry ultraliberal woman!!!
(No joke--I really am!)
And if you think I'm mad now, just WAIT until I can't get U2 tickets!!!!!

Seriously, I like the woman. And I can't help but wonder what would have been said if, say, Libby Dole went on that trip instead...

Diane

Headache in a Suitcase said:

i couldn't have said it any better myself. saying you support the troops while at the same time saying you don't agree with what they're doing and neither does a lot of america kinda negates the support now doesn't it?

Someone I love very dearly is in the army. The only reason he has not been sent to Iraq yet is b/c his unit is an urban combat training unit. While I support him I do not support sending him into harms way. Does that make sense? I don't know... I tell him exactly what I think of the situation and he respects me for it. I don't think the men and women who choose to serve in the armed forces deserve to be lied to about the opinions of the American people. I find it insulting that some would rather have only "sunshine and roses" things told to the troops. Do we really have so little faith in them to believe that their morale will be dampened by this kind of news? I really hope not.

WildHoneyAlways,

The Soldiers in Iraq are not being lied to about people who oppose the war. My friends who served in Iraq saw and heard the protest and it made them angry. Not that they don't support the right to protest, but they strongly believed in what they were doing and are very proud of what they accomplished.

Do the protest effect Moral? It can. Are they being lied to, no. Are they aware of the protest, absolutely!

Most Americans currently support the removing of Saddam and US operations in Iraq. Soldiers are aware of that as well.

As a former soldier I would have given my life for your right to protest.

I believe Hillary has EVERY right to express her opinions about the administration here. Iraq was not the place to do it.

Back
Top Bottom