Hey Victoria's Secret:Breasts are not just marketing devices for everything from A2Z - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2006, 09:58 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:42 AM
What I really enjoy is that it was a female that told another female that she couldn't breast feed in the store, but that fact seems to be lost by some people. Once again the moral of the story is men are simplistic pigs.

Old 02-01-2006, 10:14 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail
Once again the moral of the story is men are simplistic pigs.
If it makes you feel any better. I work with ALL men and I LOVE it. My internship is with mostly women, the high-maintenence kind, and afterwards I feel like committing myself.

Old 02-01-2006, 10:24 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
For me it has nothing to do with breasts, or what I think is proper, but the fact that a store is a store. There's things you do do at a store, like shop and try out clothes, and there's things you don't do, like sit down and use your laptop, eat your lunch, breastfeed your kids, etc.

I would not be offended if I saw someone breast feeding in a store or a dressing room, but I'd understand why the store clerks would be upset if there was a line of people waiting to actually try things on.
I get what you're saying but unfortunately, 10 week old babies have their own sense of timing. The comparison to laptops and lunches doesn't fly. When was the last time you checked your email or ate your lunch sitting on a toilet in a restroom stall?

It's sad and pathetic that store clerks and/or female customers in a store that caters to women would be put out by the 15 minutes it takes to fill a tiny empty tummy.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:00 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by AliEnvy

I get what you're saying but unfortunately, 10 week old babies have their own sense of timing. The comparison to laptops and lunches doesn't fly. When was the last time you checked your email or ate your lunch sitting on a toilet in a restroom stall?
I don't think restrooms are appropriate for breast feeding either, too dirty, but most malls have a lounge area. I feel like there should be entirely seperate places for breast feeding mothers, so they're not forced to use a bathroom stall or dressing room. I don't think allowing dressing rooms to be used for breast feeding really gets at the heart of the issue anyway. Men get bathrooms with plenty of toilet stalls AND urinals while women wait in line for 20 minutes just to pee and meanwhile have nowhere to breast feed but a dirty stall or changing table.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:02 PM   #20
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:42 AM
Quote:
What I really enjoy is that it was a female that told another female that she couldn't breast feed in the store, but that fact seems to be lost by some people. Once again the moral of the story is men are simplistic pigs.
That's a bit of an overreaction. One poster only, whom you already expressed disagreement with, framed it as a consequence of men not having breasts. And that was more along the lines of hands-thrown-up exasperation that this ought to be an issue at all, than a comment on this particular clerk's motivation.

An honest question: where do you think the idea that breastfeeding is something to be hidden from public view comes from? And why would it suddenly no longer be shameful when the environment in question is a public *women's* restroom?
Old 02-01-2006, 11:10 PM   #21
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
I feel like there should be entirely seperate places for breast feeding mothers, so they're not forced to use a bathroom stall or dressing room. I don't think allowing dressing rooms to be used for breast feeding really gets at the heart of the issue anyway.
I completely agree. In the context of this thread though, I do think the store clerk was wrong in that situation.

Private lounges for nursing moms are the best way to make everybody happy but they are rare.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:14 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:42 AM
I'd just like to chime in and say how filthy most dressing rooms are. You would not believe the things people do in there. Even at places like Victoria's Secret.

I can not tell you how many dirty diapers I've had to clean up. And that's just the beginning.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:18 PM   #23
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways
You would not believe the things people do in there. Even at places like Victoria's Secret.
ESPECIALLY at places like Victoria's Secret!!!

But that's an entirely different impropriety lol
Old 02-02-2006, 08:12 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Once again the moral of the story is men are simplistic pigs.
No that's not what I was saying, but if you want to say I said that I do know men who are simplistic pigs but that's another issue...

I said that out of exasperation- I am aware that it was a female clerk, etc. That doesn't change the fact that there IS a double standard among many men in this world - that breasts are sexualized but somehow they get upset over breast feeding. That happened w/ the whole Gillette Stadium incident and with other incidents. Men don't have to face the issue of having to breast feed in public, if they did perhaps things would be different.

However I don't think most people get upset at all about breast feeding as long as it is done in a discreet manner.

And I agree about dressing rooms. I worked in a store and saw what people did in them, I would never want to feed a baby in one.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:18 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:42 AM
Is it possible that some women are bothered by public breast feeding?
Old 02-02-2006, 09:22 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Is it possible that some women are bothered by public breast feeding?
Of course it is, and I didn't mean to imply that it isn't -that wasn't the point I was trying to make.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:30 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

Of course it is, and I didn't mean to imply that it isn't -that wasn't the point I was trying to make.
I know. I think it may change the view of differing standards when it is not purely driven by one sex upon the other.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:48 AM   #28
Refugee

Quote:
However I don't think most people get upset at all about breast feeding as long as it is done in a discreet manner.
If that were generally true moms wouldn't need legislation to say it's OK.

Depends where you live I suppose. Hang ups and hypocricy about breasts (for both sexes) run pretty deep in some places.

For some people it doesn't matter that you can't even see what's going on, just the awareness that breastfeeding is taking place makes them squirm.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:30 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Very true and that is simple common sense.

But the qualifier of "descreet manner" can be (or has been) portrayed as burdensome or otherwise unfair.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:12 PM   #30
Refugee

At least the consensus is now that nursing is the best thing for both babies and moms.

It will just take more time for some people to adjust to what that means for modern moms. One day hopefully it will be normal enough out in the open not to be debated.

There was a time when women who were pregnant weren't even supposed to go out in public. And it wasn't even all that long ago that Demi Moore baring her full bump on a magazine cover was a BIG DEAL.

Now being seen "in the family way" is not only tolerated or accepted, it's celebrated.