Hey Mom, Guess What I Learned In School Today! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2004, 02:02 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:47 PM
Hey Mom, Guess What I Learned In School Today!

Boy, 10, found with explosives

Quote:
Nablus, West Bank - A 10-year-old Palestinian boy was arrested on Monday at a checkpoint in the northern West Bank carrying 10kg of explosives, Palestinian and Israeli security sources said.

The youngster was taken into Israeli custody after he was found with the explosives contained in a bag, said witnesses at the Huwwara checkpoint just outside the town of Nablus.

"A 10-year-old was arrested with explosive material at a checkpoint near Nablus," an Israeli military source said, adding that he was in possession of 10kg of explosives.

"He was taken into custody for investigation. The explosives were detonated in a controlled manner."

The boy frequently worked at the checkpoint, carrying bags for local residents, the witnesses said.

The checkpoint was closed while the controlled explosion was carried out.

Old 03-15-2004, 02:40 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:47 PM
Good Lord! What kind of idiots would give their ten-year-old kid *explosives???*

Old 03-15-2004, 02:42 PM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:47 PM
Ones that thought a ten year old wouldn't get searched.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:24 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:47 PM
The idea of a "child" is generally a Western luxury. Before the modern era, what we deem as "children" today were seen as "mini-adults," and, thus, were certainly worthy for everything from hard labor to marriage even.

When you have a virtually non-functioning society--and there are several around the globe--using children as pawns in adult games is inevitable. It is part of a larger problem, not just in terrorism.

Melon
Old 03-15-2004, 04:02 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:47 PM
Melon,

Are you derailing this thread with rational / coherent remarks?

Are we not just supposed to HATE Palestinians and Moslems in general.

Please do not humanize, we are not one race.

We are good, they are evil.

[end/ mild sarcasm]
Old 03-15-2004, 04:13 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
The idea of a "child" is generally a Western luxury. Before the modern era, what we deem as "children" today were seen as "mini-adults," and, thus, were certainly worthy for everything from hard labor to marriage even.

When you have a virtually non-functioning society--and there are several around the globe--using children as pawns in adult games is inevitable. It is part of a larger problem, not just in terrorism.

Melon
True. In former times royal brides and grooms were barely out of their nurseries before they were betrothed to their future spouses. They were "mini-adults" who were married when they hit puberty.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:58 PM   #7
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Ones that thought a ten year old wouldn't get searched.
And THIS is why I get so upset at people who themselves get upset that children and the elderly are searched at airports. Who better to use as a mule (drug or weapon) than that person that we think shouldn't be searched because we deem them innocent based solely upon looks and social ideals? How easy it is to slip a prohibited item into grandma's knitting bag or Jr's diaper when we hold onto the idea that people "just wouldn't do something like that"!

ok, off my soapbox before I get going...
Old 03-16-2004, 09:20 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:47 PM
some more clarification on the 10 yr old

two important things -at least as far as I can see not known/??or reacted to by the comments on the first several postss of this page.

if this has been mentioned/reacted to, I apologize for repetition. {I'm in a hurry and still have 2 other forums to go to }

I heard on my public radio discussion late morning that the boy was motioned to by 2 men some distance away from the checkpoint. They offered him 10 dollars to carry this pack past the gate { I can't remeber now- whther he was told to give it to somebody...}.

The boy comes from a real poor family and 10 dollars was probably a fair amount of money. So he took the pack . Maybe these men had been watching over time to see who was a frequent passer-through, and this boy did do errands.

If he didn't get the bag across or something like that they were going to detonate it by cell phone any way
Old 03-16-2004, 10:55 PM   #9
Jesus Online

Local Time: 10:47 AM
Thanks for posting that dazzled. It seems it is just like enggirl described, with airports etc. Pawns indeed.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:01 PM   #10
The Fly

Local Time: 01:47 AM
Re: some more clarification on the 10 yr old

Quote:
Originally posted by dazzledbylight
.If he didn't get the bag across or something like that they were going to detonate it by cell phone any way
It is indeed reported that the intention was to use the boy, as a human bomb and he didnít even knew about it . How cruel is that?

BTW, the boy was released home later on.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:44 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Re: some more clarification on the 10 yr old

Quote:
Originally posted by sarit

It is indeed reported that the intention was to use the boy, as a human bomb and he didnít even knew about it . How cruel is that?
This is truly evil.