hEteRosExuAlLiTy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ewww! how disgusting.

Ack!! Don't let the children see. It will scar them for life.

:yuck:

Yes, let's do that.

spears.federline.071205.jpg

images558891_Jessica_Simpson_Nick_Lachey1a.jpg

Jennifer-Aniston-Brad-Pitt-s-Marriage-Doomed-From-The-Beginning-2.jpg

aj011065.jpg

BTW, in case anyone doesn't know, that's Angelina Jolie and her brother.

Melon

There is nothing either praiseworthy nor condemnable about anyone's sexual orientation--it is just what you were born with. Love is something else entirely, and is beautiful for reasons that have nothing to do with either person's sex.

Last edited:
Angela Harlem said:
as yours has been, a thousand times over.

yours,
the choir

No offense intended towards you (I have a pretty good idea why you've written what you've written here), but I wouldn't have to repeat myself a thousand times if I didn't get the same old redundant arguments thrown at me time after time again.

Secondly, this thread is not about the celebration of heterosexuality as much as the trivialization of the thread here on homosexuality. I assure the author of this thread that the celebration of heterosexuality is as redundant as the idea of a "White History Month." Pretty much every aspect of our society is nothing but an incessant celebration of heterosexuality at every twist and turn.

My sincerest of apologies to you, Angela Harlem.

Melon

What I would really like the thread starter to explain is his irresponsible and offensive use of the shift key. wtf?

I'm Ready said:
no need to start a fight angela

I'm not trying to, though I would if I was in a bad enough mood. I do hope melon knows what I mean, and I reckon that is the case. He has been on here long enough to have seen the repeat of every tired argument on this topic. And it really is tiring. Never once has anyone ever offered a valid reason why gay people should be treated as they are and anyone with sense and compassion knows that the gay community is discriminated against. We all hear the arguments that many in society (and on here) feel that due to being female, Lebanese, Jewish, disabled, whatever. I know you're being tongue in cheek, but what if one day you aren't making these comments with a wry old smile, melon? You're one of them, then. I do believe you aren't really like that.

Anyway, I dont reckon things will ever change much around here. It will probably change slower than the rest of society will, you know. One day gays will be able to adopt and get married. People will cease with their bogus differentiating between the sin and the sinner. I say bogus because the whole religion spiel is about loving and accepting and treating everyone fairly, but it's those who buy this which then safely latch onto the flimsy semantics as security, and a valid reason for allowing their own bigotry to continue.

I'll shut it before I do get grumpy.

Peace, melon.

Angela Harlem said:
I know you're being tongue in cheek, but what if one day you aren't making these comments with a wry old smile, melon? You're one of them, then. I do believe you aren't really like that.

A lot of what I write is written out of frustration. Yes, I grow tired of writing the same thing over and over, but we have had quite a few new members over the years, and the same kinds of threads reappear periodically. I wish I could say that I could ignore it, but I feel like I have to defend "my people," so to say; just as I'd imagine that it would be hard for a black person to ignore a thread supporting racism (if one existed).

They always say that the truth speaks for itself, so I try my very best to write arguments based on reason, logic, and science. But, yeah, I'm also a fan of satire, so I sometimes think my point can be made through mockery and absurdity, much like Benjamin Franklin in his days.

Anyway, I know we've had this debate once before as to whether I'm going to cross the line from satire to bigotry; so I knew where your original outrage came from here. I look forward to the day that I can end my war with words, and relax in a world free of institutionalized bigotry. Of course, when I see how long it took for blacks to achieve equality in America and the roughly 2000 years it took for Jews to overcome institutionalized anti-Semitism, I sometimes wonder if I'll be fighting all the way to the grave.

It's disconcerting to think about that sometimes.

Melon

:up:

i am here because of heterosexuality. most of my best friends are heterosexuals. so are my parents, and my brother and sister. my grandparents too. i love them all. there's something wonderful about a union that can (often) biologically create more human beings.

but, every day we celebrate heterosexuality. think about, you know, 99% of music, film, television, valentine's day cards, novels, trashy magazines, etc.

yay heterosexuality. it must be wonderful to feel so validated in such a way, every day, that you're not even aware of it.

the iron horse said:
I was just thinking it's time to give a thread in praise of the love between a man and a woman.

I was thinking the same thing....time for my wife's two minutes of pleasure....:wink:

I reckon homosexuality is just as legitimate and normal as heterosexuality.

In fact I reckon that approximately half the world's population is born homosexual in one way or another. Some people maintain some of their homosexual tendancies, whilst many people's sexual orientation is determined by the how heterosexuality has become "normalised" by both the media and various religons.

Most people, I reckon, have homosexual tendancies that they are never aware of, and they inadvertantly never entertain the thought of themselves being homosexual, because the prospect just seems so farfetched for their mind.

Deep down, the idea of committing a homosexual act is actually rather desirable, yet they can never acknowledge this feeling...

intedomine said:

In fact I reckon that approximately half the world's population is born homosexual in one way or another. Some people maintain some of their homosexual tendancies, whilst many people's sexual orientation is determined by the how heterosexuality has become "normalised" by both the media and various religons.

I don't pretend to know how many people are born as each, BUT, doesn't this arguement if taken in reverse undermine the obvious fact that homosexuals are in fact BORN that way and NOT "turned gay" or whatever? Or are you under the assumption that homosexuals are not born homosexual and do have the ability to be socialized into heterosexuality?

Irvine511 said:

but, every day we celebrate heterosexuality. think about, you know, 99% of music, film, television, valentine's day cards, novels, trashy magazines, etc.

yay heterosexuality. it must be wonderful to feel so validated in such a way, every day, that you're not even aware of it.
This reminds me of a conversation I had with my mother recently. We were talking about when Ellen came out to society. Her show then constantly dealt with her as a lesbian. My mom said people didn't so much care that she was a lesbian, they just felt that by making every episode about her being a lesbian was cramming her homosexuality down other people's throats.
I really do not like this train of thought. I asked her, "Oh and Friends isn't about heterosexuality every single episode."

There were other reasons, I think, besides blueeyedpoet's mother's reason for no longer watching Ellen.

Ellen's coming out show was one of the funniest things I saw on TV. And I thought Degeneres was incredibly brave. I wanted to keep watching it to support her. But the problem for me was not the continuing story line about her being a lesbian. It was that it really did stop being funny. It became earnest. I don't do earnestness well.

I did not see Brokeback Mountain, although I wouldn't be adverse to seeing it if it was plopped in my lap. There's no ick factor involved for me. But I see about two movies a year, if I'm lucky, and it wasn't a movie I was compelled to go out of my way to see. Not because it was a gay movie, but it was a relationship movie which generally bore the hell out of me. Heterosexual or homosexual, sexual or non. I think I've really liked a grand total of two relationship movies--Midnight Cowboy and McCabe and Mrs. Miller.

blueyedpoet said:
I really do not like this train of thought. I asked her, "Oh and Friends isn't about heterosexuality every single episode."

:up:

exactly. if i talk about my boyfriend, i'm cramming my sexuality down your through. if a straight person talks about their wife, their kids, they're just talking.

This gay friend of mine jokes to some other friends (G and T, a man and a woman who are married to one another) that "it's okay to be straight, just don't do it in public" :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom