Heterosexual Teenage Sex is Prosecuted Differently from Homosexual Teenage Sex - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2003, 07:36 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:28 AM
Heterosexual Teenage Sex is Prosecuted Differently from Homosexual Teenage Sex

[Q]When one member of the couple is aged 14 to 16 and the other is older, the act is statutory rape under the Kansas law and the most common penalty is probation if the two are heterosexual. But probation is not available to same-sex teenage couples.

Matthew Limon was one week past his 18th birthday in early 2000 when he performed oral sex on a 14-year-old boy at the center for developmentally disabled young people where they both lived. No violence or coercion was involved.

Had Mr. Limon performed oral sex on a 14-year-old girl, he could have received a prison sentence of about 15 months, and possibly just probation. Instead, he is now about three years into a 17-year sentence in the Ellsworth Correctional Facility. Under his sentence, he was also ordered to register as a sex offender upon his release.[/Q]

Now three years into the sentence:

[Q]ASHINGTON, June 27 — In one of the first consequences of its landmark ruling on gay rights on Thursday, the Supreme Court today set aside the lengthy prison sentence imposed on a gay Kansas teenager for having had sex with a younger boy.[/Q]

Good for the court!!!!!! I am sorry but this is clearly wrong in my book.http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/27/po...partner=GOOGLE

Old 06-27-2003, 07:38 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

I have known about this case for several months now, and it has disappointed me. I'm very much glad that the unfair sentence has been overturned.

This is precisely why it was very much necessary for the Supreme Court to rule as it did. No one should be a second-class citizen on the basis of their sexual orientation.

Melon

Old 06-27-2003, 07:43 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:28 AM
Re: Heterosexual Teenage Sex is Prosecuted Differently from Homosexual Teenage Sex

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

Matthew Limon was one week past his 18th birthday in early 2000 when he performed oral sex on a 14-year-old boy

at the center for developmentally disabled young people where they both lived.

No violence or coercion was involved.

For these reasons the punishment was too severe.

Damn Homeland Security.
Old 06-27-2003, 10:23 PM   #4
The Fly

Local Time: 08:28 AM
Why should same sex relations be connsidered the same as hetrosexuall relationships if they are not the same? that is my question. differenct situations call for different circumstances. i agree with the penalty that was given to him orriginally.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:34 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by megadrum2002
Why should same sex relations be connsidered the same as hetrosexuall relationships if they are not the same.
I guess you are the voice of experience.
Old 06-28-2003, 12:21 AM   #6
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:28 AM

Quote:
Why should same sex relations be connsidered the same as hetrosexuall relationships if they are not the same?
Why should it matter which genders are involved? Why can't heterosexuals and homosexuals be treated the same? We are all human.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 06-28-2003, 01:10 AM   #7
Jesus Online

Local Time: 07:28 PM
How exactly, are they different?

Oh, thats right, different body parts. So with that logic, a murder with a knife needs different treatment to that of a hand gun.

If this thread disolves into the normal "what is wrong/right with homosexuality" debate and it gets out of hand, it will be closed as usual. Please keep it respectful everyone. We're all capable of that I am certain.

**It's not what you say, but how you say it**
Old 06-28-2003, 08:30 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Why should same sex relations be connsidered the same as hetrosexuall relationships if they are not the same? that is my question. differenct situations call for different circumstances. i agree with the penalty that was given to him orriginally.
Of course you do.

BTW, it is "considered," "heterosexual," "different," and "originally."

Melon:
Old 06-28-2003, 12:18 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
How exactly, are they different?

Oh, thats right, different body parts. So with that logic, a murder with a knife needs different treatment to that of a hand gun.
Exactly.

And ditto what melon and Bonochick said as well. .

Angela
Old 06-28-2003, 07:36 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 01:28 AM
Hold the phone this person should be spending the next 17 years of their life in prison. GAY OR NOT. It is rape!! (in my books) 18 year old and a 14 year old. RAPE!!

A 14 year old doesnt have the mental capacity to know what is right and wrong especailly if they are in a mental institute!

Who gives a shit if they are gay or not, lets focus on the real subject a rapist is be let free and thousands of others are being let free. A 14 year old mentally chalenged child has oral sex preformed on him-RAPE. 17 years sounds like a great sentance.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:02 PM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Hold the phone this person should be spending the next 17 years of their life in prison. GAY OR NOT. It is rape!! (in my books) 18 year old and a 14 year old. RAPE!!
Would you say the same thing if a 14 year old boy had sex with his 18 year old girlfriend?
Old 06-28-2003, 08:04 PM   #12
Refugee

YES!! No question. Why should their sexual preference and their sex matter to you?

Last time i checked people around here are looking for equality. Would it make a difference to you if it was a boy-man man-girl woman-boy girl-girl?
Old 06-28-2003, 08:12 PM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 08:28 AM
Though this case wreaks of homophobia, am I the only one who is troubled by the fact that this happened in a 'developmentally disabled persons' center?

Methinks there is perhaps more to this than meets the eye.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 06-28-2003, 08:19 PM   #14
Refugee

Most definetly!! It makes me wonder as well.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:55 PM   #15
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
YES!! No question. Why should their sexual preference and their sex matter to you?

Last time i checked people around here are looking for equality. Would it make a difference to you if it was a boy-man man-girl woman-boy girl-girl?
No, it doesn't matter to me at all. I'm just not under the impression that this is really rape. Now I understand the reasons for statuatory rape laws, but what two consenting persons do shouldn't be treated the same as rape. I knew several people while growing up who could have technically been tried for statuatory rape, both men and women.

I just think you're jumping the gun a little by calling him a rapist.

It would really depend on the disability these individuals have in order to really bring in that factor. I know several individuals with mental disabilities that are in sexual relationships.