Heterosexual Teenage Sex is Prosecuted Differently from Homosexual Teenage Sex - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2003, 09:13 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 04:27 PM
And i assume none of them are 14 year old with 18 year old?

Old 06-28-2003, 10:11 PM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:27 PM
No. But what I'm saying is that I know 14 year olds are sexually active today, I'm not going to pretend they aren't. But calling an 18 year-old a rapist because he had consentual sexual activity with a 14 year-old is a little harsh. !7 years sounds even more harsh.

Old 06-29-2003, 10:23 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
Though this case wreaks of homophobia, am I the only one who is troubled by the fact that this happened in a 'developmentally disabled persons' center?

Methinks there is perhaps more to this than meets the eye.

Ant.
Yes, it happened in a developmentally disabled persons center where they *both* lived. I think that if they really were both mentally disturbed people, and it was consentual, I don't even know why this went on trial.

Melon
Old 06-29-2003, 11:20 AM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 11:27 PM
That is what I do find troubling, Melon. What I would like to know is what precisely was the mental capacity of the once alleged rapist, and also that of the victim. My point is thus, I don't know how they do it in America, but in Britain it would have been hard-pressed for anyone to try this as a 'rape case' if both were at the same 'mental capacity'.

Its more confusing and troubling than its apparent homophobic surface implies.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 06-29-2003, 08:41 PM   #20
Refugee

Ok....rape is a touchy subject to me sorry if i was harsh without knowing all the facts. But like Ant said, they could both be in the mental hospital but have totally different mental capacities.

And what makes this even more disturbing is that this person, the alleged rapist, was convicted and sentanced to 17 yrs if they are mentally sufficent to know right and wrong. That makes me think this person had the mental capacity.
Old 06-29-2003, 09:37 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Regardless, the point of this thread, IMO, is not to justify statutory rape, but the hypocrisy of having two different standards for heterosexual and homosexual offenses, whereas he would be out of prison by now, if he had performed this on a 14 year-old girl.

Melon
Old 06-30-2003, 12:08 AM   #22
Refugee

But isnt the real point why isnt others going to jail for the same offense. It goes both ways.

Melon you said you have followed this case can you show some light on how mentally handicapped these two were. You are trying to over simplify this case into a hetero-homosexual issue when it might be deeper then that. Bring the entire story to the table so we can look at the pressing facts not just that it was a man--boy sexual incident.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:29 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

The state of Kansas had determined that statutory rape by someone around the person's age (i.e., 14 + 18) is less offensive than statutory rape by someone grossly older (i.e., 14 + 30). Where this law has clearly gotten into trouble is that it only covered heterosexual acts, whereas homosexual acts of a similar nature were far more severely punished. That's where the problems came in and that's why I'm glad the Supreme Court threw it out.

As for more underlying dilemmas, I agree that they may certainly be there. Unfortunately, I can only theorize their mental competancies. He may have been able to get by a "not guilty by reason of insanity" or not. After Reagan's would-be assassin, John Hinkley, Jr., was able to use that reasoning, the government purposely made it far more difficult to use that defense. If that is what prevented Limon from using that defense (and, again, I don't know), I don't see how Hinkley really "got off." He's still in a mental institution and there is no inclination that he'll ever be let free.

Melon
Old 07-05-2003, 02:42 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Regardless, the point of this thread, IMO, is not to justify statutory rape, but the hypocrisy of having two different standards for heterosexual and homosexual offenses, whereas he would be out of prison by now, if he had performed this on a 14 year-old girl.

Melon
That was EXACTLY the point. The court should be BLIND as to the participants gender. The sentenceing should be the same if it was 18M/14/F and 18M/14M. That is the point. THe sentencing because of the GENDER was discriminatory.

Personally, I think the sentencing should be adjusted on the Heterosexual side, but that is because I have a daughter.