Hero's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freeyourmind

The Fly
I just voted for Bono at http://www.time.com/time/europe/hero/

When I saw the results I was really surprised and a little bit shocked. Especially when I saw Nelson Mandela
0.8 %.
I made me think. Think of our time and values.

What are hero's what do you think?
Bono definitly is one to me but Nelson Mandela too...

Wow...I just voted too and those results are very suprising.

Personally, I don't usually have 'celebrity' heroes. The people I respect and admire are those who do difficult jobs every day: people who work for charities such as Oxfam, helping some of the least priviledged people in the world. People like doctors, nurses, teachers, who do incredibly important jobs and often don't get much reward. But also people who are struggling just to take care of their family, the people who have to work two jobs just to make sure their children have a home and food to eat. I think they're heroes too, because they're doing something which is incredibly difficult, and get absolutely no reward for it.

Hey, an opportunity to quote some Rush lyrics! :cool: Sorry, I can't resist:

Nobody's Hero (Counterparts, 1993)

I knew he was different, in his sexuality
I went to his parties, as a straight minority
It never seemed a threat to my masculinity
He only introduced me to a wider reality

As the years went by, we drifted apart
When I heard that he was gone
I felt a shadow cross my heart
But he's nobody's --

Hero -- saves a drowning child
Cures a wasting disease
Hero -- lands the crippled airplane
Solves great mysteries

Hero -- not the handsome actor
Who plays a hero's role
Hero -- not the glamor girl
Who'd love to sell her soul
If anybody's buying
NOBODY'S HERO

I didn't know the girl, but I knew her family
All their lives were shattered
in a nightmare of brutality
They try to carry on, try to bear the agony
Try to hold some faith
in the goodness of humanity

When I heard that she was gone
But she's nobody's --

Hero -- the voice of reason
Against the howling mob
Hero -- the pride of purpose
In the unrewarding job

Hero -- not the champion player
Who plays the perfect game
Not the glamor boy
Who loves to sell his name
Everybody's buying
NOBODY'S HERO

When I heard that you were gone

Hero

FizzingWhizzbees said:
Wow...I just voted too and those results are very suprising.

Personally, I don't usually have 'celebrity' heroes. The people I respect and admire are those who do difficult jobs every day: people who work for charities such as Oxfam, helping some of the least priviledged people in the world. People like doctors, nurses, teachers, who do incredibly important jobs and often don't get much reward. But also people who are struggling just to take care of their family, the people who have to work two jobs just to make sure their children have a home and food to eat. I think they're heroes too, because they're doing something which is incredibly difficult, and get absolutely no reward for it.

Oh my gosh! Stop the presses! Write this one down folks...

I agree with FizzingWhizzbees! :wink:

News of another Hero: Aung San Suu Kyi This is long, and her efforts are on going.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, April 4, 2003
ATTN: HIGHER EDUCATION, WORLD, and BUSINESS EDITORS
Media Contact: Jon Heifetz, College of William and Mary, 757-221-7420
=======================================
William and Mary Student Senate Strikes Against Dictatorship

Unanimous Resolution Calls on University to Divest from Companies in Burma
(Williamsburg, VA) In an extraordinary move, the Student Senate at Virginia's College of William and Mary, representing all 7,500 students, unanimously passed a resolution Wednesday night calling on the university to divest itself of companies operating in the Southeast Asian country of Burma

I wanted to draw your attention to an incredible report released today by one of the worlds most respected refugee advocacy organizations, Refugees International. The report, is entitled "No Safe Place: Burma's Army and the Rape of Ethnic Women." As you might know, Burma's regime has likely raped tens of thousands of ethnic women in an effort to subjugate the entire population. This new report makes two important points:
1) The use of rape as a weapon of war by the regime is happening on a much wider basis than previously documented--indeed, throughout the countryside.
2) The rapes are both widespread AND systematic, which makes them a war crime.
Please have a read--there is an excellent executive summary that
includes recommendations.
We should warn that much of the report is quite graphic, and includes information on gang-rapes, repeated rapes, rapes of children, torture, mutilation, and execution.

http://www.refugeesinternational.org/cgi-bin/ri/bulletin?bc=00531
If you'd like to speak to one of the authors, Veronika Martin, you can contact her at: 202-828-0110.
On a happier note:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: April 15, 2003

Powerful Industry Association Calls for Ban on Apparel Imports from Burma.
American Apparel and Footwear Association Takes Strong Stand on Human Rights

ARLINGTON, VA - In an unusual move, the powerful American Association of Apparel and Footwear Manufacturers has called for the U.S. government to impose a ban on apparel and footwear products from Burma because of massive human rights abuses in that country. The Association calls for the government to enact and "maintain this ban until Burma demonstrates that it recognizes, respects, and enforces basic human and labor rights for its own citizens." The Association has almost 1,000 member companies including industry powerhouses like Levi-Strauss & Company, Sara Lee Branded Apparel, Liz Claiborne, and Perry Ellis.
"The Association has done the right thing. This will strengthen our coalition's grassroots effort to boycott 'Made in Burma' products," says Aung Din, Director of Policy for the Free Burma Coalition. "No companies - U.S. or otherwise - should profit from forced labor in Burma."

To subscribe to the newsletter: mailto:jeremy@freeburmacoalition.org
Thanks
Just felt this was really important.

Back
Top Bottom