Heroin and cocaine and acid -- Oh My!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nbcrusader said:
Let's say you legalize drugs and that a certain percentage of the population take these drugs on a regular basis.

Would it be acceptable to discriminate against people who take these drugs (i.e., not hire them because of their choice to live under the influence of drugs)?

It's as acceptable as hiring a known alcoholic.

If alcohol were being introduced today you'd need a prescription, if it ever met FDA approval at all (he says opening a bottle of Hefeweizen)

I would no more hire someone who came to an interview stoned than I would someone reeking of alcohol, but if someone enjoys a drink outside of work and any drinking they do doesn't interfere with their work, fine with me.

cardosino said:

It's as acceptable as hiring a known alcoholic.

If alcohol were being introduced today you'd need a prescription, if it ever met FDA approval at all (he says opening a bottle of Hefeweizen)

I would no more hire someone who came to an interview stoned than I would someone reeking of alcohol, but if someone enjoys a drink outside of work and any drinking they do doesn't interfere with their work, fine with me.
Rest assured, if you didn't hire somebody on the basis that they were under the influence of drugs then you would have some sort of affirmative action lawsuit - "it's not their fault that they are addicted, you cannot discriminate".

A_Wanderer said:
Rest assured, if you didn't hire somebody on the basis that they were under the influence of drugs then you would have some sort of affirmative action lawsuit - "it's not their fault that they are addicted, you cannot discriminate".

Well I wouldn't actually SAY "I didn't hire them because I got high off of their aura"......I've been around too long for THAT rookie mistake !

A_Wanderer said:

oh come on, AW. you're smart enough to know better.

I really gotta get the ins and outs of this gig right, my comedy falls flat on its face when logic is applied too much :wink:

That 45 second post count delay really makes the punchines hard - people usually just google them before you get a chance to post.

Back
Top Bottom