Heroin and cocaine and acid -- Oh My! - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2005, 10:40 AM   #31
War Child

Local Time: 12:36 PM
Do you realized how much or our tax dollars are housing first time offenders for pocession? It's ridiculous. I just saw one case where the state (can't remember which one) has a minimum 10 year sentence for a FIRST time offender.

Now pot is the safest drug known to man, much safer than alcohol or ciggarettes. When it's legalized; hemp can be used for so many things rope, clothes, etc, the food industry will rise due to late night munchies, people are for the most part calm, and you don't have hangovers.

Some argue it makes you lazy etc but I know many of high powered executive types that smoke pot on a regular basis.

I don't know exactly how I feel about other drugs, the only thing I do know is that at least it would be regulated if legal. Personally I'd like to see clinics such as over in Europe here in the states where they actually ween heroin users slowly off the drug, it's regulated, and it's legal.

Old 01-18-2005, 10:49 AM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne

indra, do you think addictive drugs should be legal too?
Yes.

Alcohol is an addictive drug and it is legal. Nicotine is an addictive drug and it is legal.

Old 01-18-2005, 10:53 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I think that the legalization of marijuana could possibly lead to the legalization of much more harmful drugs, which would cut into any health care budget. Healthy, drug-free citizens would then pay higher taxes to compensate for those who abuse the system. I am completely against the legalization of hardcore drugs like cocaine and crack, and I believe it will represent a massive societal failure. Once we legalize it, we would get hammered trying to make it illegal once again. Take prohibition for example. Alcohol was very common, then we tried making it illegal. The backfire was an overhaul, and we ended up repealing prohibition. This is not what I want to happen with harmful drugs, and I think legalizing marijuana for anybody out there - not just for medical purposes - could be the first step in the wrong direction.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:28 AM   #34
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Does the freedom of another include the freedom to not hire them because of their drug use?

probably not. if there is no illegal activity, not hiring someone because of what they do while away from work would be illegal. it would have no more credibility than not hiring someone because they were left handed, or Morman, or were vegetarian (or were not vegetarian). the "freedom not to hire" is a false one, i think -- once upon a time, we had the freedom not to hire the Irish, for example.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:34 AM   #35
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
and I think legalizing marijuana for anybody out there - not just for medical purposes - could be the first step in the wrong direction.
I understand your opinion on drugs like heroin, it's a very difficult issue. But why pot? It's less destructive then alcohol, it's made by God, and it's not addictive(according to the majority of studies out there).
Old 01-18-2005, 11:34 AM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
probably not. if there is no illegal activity, not hiring someone because of what they do while away from work would be illegal. it would have no more credibility than not hiring someone because they were left handed, or Morman, or were vegetarian (or were not vegetarian). the "freedom not to hire" is a false one, i think -- once upon a time, we had the freedom not to hire the Irish, for example.
The distinction between a drug addict and an Irish person are so far apart. We already give workers smoke breaks, often more than necessary. Should we give them dope breaks, so they would not only return with bad breath, but trashed? This should be forced upon businesses?
Old 01-18-2005, 11:38 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Do Miss America
I understand your opinion on drugs like heroin, it's a very difficult issue. But why pot? It's less destructive then alcohol, it's made by God, and it's not addictive(according to the majority of studies out there).
I feel that pot - if it HAS TO BE legalized - should not be permitted in public. I've gone to concerts and had to smell it, it's very unpleasant. It may be only 10% as addicting as cigarettes, but I don't believe in promoting a deadbeat society. I think pot could lead to illegal drugs, for the person who smokes it, they may want to try something a little harder. Your argument about God making it, if it is so, it could be of use to those who need it medically.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:46 AM   #38
War Child

Quote:
The distinction between a drug addict and an Irish person are so far apart. We already give workers smoke breaks, often more than necessary. Should we give them dope breaks, so they would not only return with bad breath, but trashed? This should be forced upon businesses?
He's already made the distinction of being at work under the influence and not a few posts ago.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:50 AM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
Illegality may be avoided, but is may be considered a characteristic that many may reject.

See, by legalizing drugs, you are not only suggesting increasing personal freedom to take drugs, but also requiring the rest of society to accept you for taking drugs.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:53 AM   #40
War Child

Quote:
I feel that pot - if it HAS TO BE legalized - should not be permitted in public. I've gone to concerts and had to smell it, it's very unpleasant. It may be only 10% as addicting as cigarettes, but I don't believe in promoting a deadbeat society. I think pot could lead to illegal drugs, for the person who smokes it, they may want to try something a little harder. Your argument about God making it, if it is so, it could be of use to those who need it medically.
You smell cigarette smoke don't you? How is it worse?

A deadbeat society? Where do you come up with this stuff, it's funny. Like I said I know high power executive types that smoke pot on a regular basis. Brad Pitt sitting on a couch constantly stoned out of his mind in the movie 'True Romance' is not what all people who smoke pot are like.

Believe me alcohol is much more of a gateway drug than anything. Studies have shown that most users will admit the first time they tried certain drugs was when they were drunk.

If that is so? Are you not sure God made marijuanna? That's pretty much a fact.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:56 AM   #41
War Child

Quote:

See, by legalizing drugs, you are not only suggesting increasing personal freedom to take drugs, but also requiring the rest of society to accept you for taking drugs.
But if you function in society and at your work then where is the accepting come in? I don't hear people say well so and so had some drinks last night at the bar and we have to accept his drinking because it's legal.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:56 AM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Looks like DARE will become illegal, and we will become less educated about harmful substances if this becomes the new low standard.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:56 AM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Do Miss America

Heroin and cocaine are also grown. They are more further processed than pot, but they aren't manufactured. And of course there are the delightful "magic mushrooms" which are used in their natural state too.

I just had a huge post typed up and I wiped it out! Arrrggghhh!!!! And now I have actual stuff I need to do...maybe I'll give it another try when I get back in....
Old 01-18-2005, 11:57 AM   #44
War Child

Quote:
Looks like DARE will become illegal, and we will become less educated about harmful substances if this becomes the new low standard.
You still have groups that dare to keep children off of alcohol and cigarettes, so why would it be illegal?
Old 01-18-2005, 11:59 AM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

And that's a problem how? I accept many people who do things I personally do not accept. So do you really want to only deal with people just like you?