Heroin and cocaine and acid -- Oh My!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you realized how much or our tax dollars are housing first time offenders for pocession? It's ridiculous. I just saw one case where the state (can't remember which one) has a minimum 10 year sentence for a FIRST time offender.

Now pot is the safest drug known to man, much safer than alcohol or ciggarettes. When it's legalized; hemp can be used for so many things rope, clothes, etc, the food industry will rise due to late night munchies, people are for the most part calm, and you don't have hangovers.

Some argue it makes you lazy etc but I know many of high powered executive types that smoke pot on a regular basis.

I don't know exactly how I feel about other drugs, the only thing I do know is that at least it would be regulated if legal. Personally I'd like to see clinics such as over in Europe here in the states where they actually ween heroin users slowly off the drug, it's regulated, and it's legal.

BostonAnne said:

indra, do you think addictive drugs should be legal too?

Yes.

Alcohol is an addictive drug and it is legal. Nicotine is an addictive drug and it is legal.

I think that the legalization of marijuana could possibly lead to the legalization of much more harmful drugs, which would cut into any health care budget. Healthy, drug-free citizens would then pay higher taxes to compensate for those who abuse the system. I am completely against the legalization of hardcore drugs like cocaine and crack, and I believe it will represent a massive societal failure. Once we legalize it, we would get hammered trying to make it illegal once again. Take prohibition for example. Alcohol was very common, then we tried making it illegal. The backfire was an overhaul, and we ended up repealing prohibition. This is not what I want to happen with harmful drugs, and I think legalizing marijuana for anybody out there - not just for medical purposes - could be the first step in the wrong direction.

nbcrusader said:

Does the freedom of another include the freedom to not hire them because of their drug use?

probably not. if there is no illegal activity, not hiring someone because of what they do while away from work would be illegal. it would have no more credibility than not hiring someone because they were left handed, or Morman, or were vegetarian (or were not vegetarian). the "freedom not to hire" is a false one, i think -- once upon a time, we had the freedom not to hire the Irish, for example.

Macfistowannabe said:
and I think legalizing marijuana for anybody out there - not just for medical purposes - could be the first step in the wrong direction.

I understand your opinion on drugs like heroin, it's a very difficult issue. But why pot? It's less destructive then alcohol, it's made by God, and it's not addictive(according to the majority of studies out there).

Irvine511 said:
probably not. if there is no illegal activity, not hiring someone because of what they do while away from work would be illegal. it would have no more credibility than not hiring someone because they were left handed, or Morman, or were vegetarian (or were not vegetarian). the "freedom not to hire" is a false one, i think -- once upon a time, we had the freedom not to hire the Irish, for example.
The distinction between a drug addict and an Irish person are so far apart. We already give workers smoke breaks, often more than necessary. Should we give them dope breaks, so they would not only return with bad breath, but trashed? This should be forced upon businesses?

Do Miss America said:
I understand your opinion on drugs like heroin, it's a very difficult issue. But why pot? It's less destructive then alcohol, it's made by God, and it's not addictive(according to the majority of studies out there).
I feel that pot - if it HAS TO BE legalized - should not be permitted in public. I've gone to concerts and had to smell it, it's very unpleasant. It may be only 10% as addicting as cigarettes, but I don't believe in promoting a deadbeat society. I think pot could lead to illegal drugs, for the person who smokes it, they may want to try something a little harder. Your argument about God making it, if it is so, it could be of use to those who need it medically.

Macfistowannabe said:
The distinction between a drug addict and an Irish person are so far apart. We already give workers smoke breaks, often more than necessary. Should we give them dope breaks, so they would not only return with bad breath, but trashed? This should be forced upon businesses?

He's already made the distinction of being at work under the influence and not a few posts ago.

Irvine511 said:

Illegality may be avoided, but is may be considered a characteristic that many may reject.

See, by legalizing drugs, you are not only suggesting increasing personal freedom to take drugs, but also requiring the rest of society to accept you for taking drugs.

Macfistowannabe said:
I feel that pot - if it HAS TO BE legalized - should not be permitted in public. I've gone to concerts and had to smell it, it's very unpleasant. It may be only 10% as addicting as cigarettes, but I don't believe in promoting a deadbeat society. I think pot could lead to illegal drugs, for the person who smokes it, they may want to try something a little harder. Your argument about God making it, if it is so, it could be of use to those who need it medically.

You smell cigarette smoke don't you? How is it worse?

A deadbeat society? Where do you come up with this stuff, it's funny. Like I said I know high power executive types that smoke pot on a regular basis. Brad Pitt sitting on a couch constantly stoned out of his mind in the movie 'True Romance' is not what all people who smoke pot are like.

Believe me alcohol is much more of a gateway drug than anything. Studies have shown that most users will admit the first time they tried certain drugs was when they were drunk.

If that is so? Are you not sure God made marijuanna? That's pretty much a fact.

nbcrusader said:

See, by legalizing drugs, you are not only suggesting increasing personal freedom to take drugs, but also requiring the rest of society to accept you for taking drugs.

But if you function in society and at your work then where is the accepting come in? I don't hear people say well so and so had some drinks last night at the bar and we have to accept his drinking because it's legal.:huh:

nbcrusader said:
Looks like DARE will become illegal, and we will become less educated about harmful substances if this becomes the new low standard.

Do Miss America said:

Heroin and cocaine are also grown. They are more further processed than pot, but they aren't manufactured. And of course there are the delightful "magic mushrooms" which are used in their natural state too.

:mad: I just had a huge post typed up and I wiped it out! :mad: Arrrggghhh!!!! And now I have actual stuff I need to do...maybe I'll give it another try when I get back in....

Macfistowannabe said:
Looks like DARE will become illegal, and we will become less educated about harmful substances if this becomes the new low standard.

You still have groups that dare to keep children off of alcohol and cigarettes, so why would it be illegal?

nbcrusader said:

And that's a problem how? I accept many people who do things I personally do not accept. So do you really want to only deal with people just like you?

indra said:

Heroin and cocaine are also grown. They are more further processed than pot, but they aren't manufactured. And of course there are the delightful "magic mushrooms" which are used in their natural state too.

Mushrooms yes.

But heroin and cocaine are not used in their natual forms. You are right they aren't manufactured like X or what not, but you don't just grab some heroin off a plant and go for it.

Do Miss America said:
You smell cigarette smoke don't you? How is it worse?
I don't enjoy being around smokers, and would support a public smoking ban if given the opportunity.

Do Miss America said:
A deadbeat society? Where do you come up with this stuff, it's funny. Like I said I know high power executive types that smoke pot on a regular basis. Brad Pitt sitting on a couch constantly stoned out of his mind in the movie 'True Romance' is not what all people who smoke pot are like.
I don't believe that promoting pot and more harmful drugs will result in a society that promotes higher standards. It will lead to a self-destructive society.

Do Miss America said:
Believe me alcohol is much more of a gateway drug than anything. Studies have shown that most users will admit the first time they tried certain drugs was when they were drunk.
I'll take your word for it. Alcohol isn't always abused, but those who abuse it cause our society to face serious consequences for their own behavior. Wife beatings, drunk driving, and vandalism to name only a few examples.

Do Miss America said:
If that is so? Are you not sure God made marijuanna? That's pretty much a fact.
Okay, let's say God made marijuana after all. Should the purpose of a God-given gift be to help those who suffer serious illnesses, or should it be wasted by people who may cause a danger to society? By this, drunk driving is a serious concern already, why should we make it any more possible for anyone to drive under the influence of marijuana?

Macfistowannabe said:

DARE has been shown to be not terribly effective, so it's demise is hardly worth crying about.

Do Miss America said:

Mushrooms yes.

But heroin and cocaine are not used in their natual forms. You are right they aren't manufactured like X or what not, but you don't just grab some heroin off a plant and go for it.

Most people don't eat wheat or soybeans right off the plant either. ;)

Macfistowannabe said:
I don't enjoy being around smokers, and would support a public smoking ban if given the opportunity.

If there was a ban on smoking in public (which I also support), that would include pot too, so I don't see the problem there.

Macfistowannabe said:

I don't believe that promoting pot and more harmful drugs will result in a society that promotes higher standards. It will lead to a self-destructive society.
Well if this is your argument then you should really stand for banning all drugs including alcohol. Good luck.
Macfistowannabe said:

I'll take your word for it. Alcohol isn't always abused, but those who abuse it cause our society to face serious consequences for their own behavior. Wife beatings, drunk driving, and vandalism to name only a few examples.

Okay, let's say God made marijuana after all. Should the purpose of a God-given gift be to help those who suffer serious illnesses, or should it be wasted by people who may cause a danger to society? By this, drunk driving is a serious concern already, why should we make it any more possible for anyone to drive under the influence of marijuana?

It's called responsibility. Like I said it sounds like you should really stand for the banning of everything because you haven't shown one argument that differentiates alcohol and pot.

Do Miss America said:
Do you realized how much or our tax dollars are housing first time offenders for pocession? It's ridiculous. I just saw one case where the state (can't remember which one) has a minimum 10 year sentence for a FIRST time offender.

Now pot is the safest drug known to man, much safer than alcohol or ciggarettes. When it's legalized; hemp can be used for so many things rope, clothes, etc, the food industry will rise due to late night munchies, people are for the most part calm, and you don't have hangovers.

Some argue it makes you lazy etc but I know many of high powered executive types that smoke pot on a regular basis.

I don't know exactly how I feel about other drugs, the only thing I do know is that at least it would be regulated if legal. Personally I'd like to see clinics such as over in Europe here in the states where they actually ween heroin users slowly off the drug, it's regulated, and it's legal.

:up: I agree with you completely. Pot is so benign compared to half the things in a typical American medicine cabinet. I have a friend in rehab as we speak from life-threatening addictions and everyone in his group is there because they tested positive for marijuana from their employer. These are responsible people who smoke pot occasionally at home. So here my friend is with his serious stuff and there's not one person in the whole group who can relate to what he's going through so he feels like a freak. What a waste of time for these people who like to smoke weed now and then.

I've smoked a fair amount of pot in my life and still do sometimes, and yeah, it makes me a little lazy but big fucking deal; I can be lazy on the occasional weekend if I want to because I work my ass off and travel a lot for my great job which I'm very on top of. I can't stand to be around drunk people but stoners don't bother me at all.

The only reason pot is illegal is because pharmaceutical companies can't make money off it. It's a completely political decision and has absolutely nothing to do with it being a dangerous substance.

nbcrusader said:

Illegality may be avoided, but is may be considered a characteristic that many may reject.

they may reject it, but they will have no legal grounds upon which to terminate employment. they may concoct other ways, if they are so opposed to drug use (how would they know, anyway?), but to dismiss someone purely because they smoked marijuana on a random Friday night would not be legally acceptable if marijuana were to be made legal.

if you're trying to make some kind of point, as indicated by "see," you've failed to do so. people can remain opposed to all kinds of behavior based upon their particular moral code, but society does not have to recognize their moral codes through its laws. you can reject it on a personal/moral level, but when it comes to hiring, or housing, or whatever, drug use would not be acceptable legal criteria upon which to base an acceptance or rejection.

joyfulgirl said:

The only reason pot is illegal is because pharmaceutical companies can't make money off it. It's a completely political decision and has absolutely nothing to do with it being a dangerous substance.

it is also illegal due to racism -- in the early part of the 20th century, it was closely associated with Mexicans. and then in the 60s the Right Wing feared that the hippies were going to get everyone stoned and turn us all into Communists.

marijuana makes me forgetful and eat too much, so that's why i avoid it. i have no problems with people who smoke as much as they want, though i will say that i have seen some smart people have their ambition eroded by constant pot use. and i've also seen people completely fuck up their lives while drunk, and in my experience, there is a much greater psychological dependence on alcohol than on marijuana.

drhark said:
just say no!

because that was such an effective slogan/campaign.

i remember the Onion headline ... Nancy Reagan Ends Nation's Drug Problem with Appearance on A Very Special 'Different Strokes'

BostonAnne said:
do you think addictive drugs should be legal too?

Soft drinks, cigarettes, nose sprays, chocolate and coffee all contain addicitive substances and are legal. They don't particularly alter your mood, but many "herbal rememdies" that can be purchased completely legally from your local health food store do -- yet these also are perfectly legal to purchase.

Why shouldn't marijuana and other illicit drugs be made legal? The government can grow them, sell them, regulate them & tax them, providing billions in additional revenue. You can still be arrested for driving while stoned - just like DWI - and then money can be made from those fines as well.

I read a great book several years ago by Peter McWilliams called, "Ain't Nobody's Business If You Do - The Absurdity of Consenual Crimes in our Free Country" (you can find it on Amazon -- I just checked! :) ). I'm not a radical by any stretch of the imagination, but this man makes some brilliant points. Not just about the legalization of drugs, but things like consensual sex, etc. etc. I HIGHLY reccommend it for anyone interested in the idea of legalizing drugs. Matter of fact, I haven't read it in about 5 years, so I might drag it out of mothballs & check it out again myself. :D :up:

Irvine511 said:

marijuana makes me forgetful and eat too much, so that's why i avoid it. i have no problems with people who smoke as much as they want, though i will say that i have seen some smart people have their ambition eroded by constant pot use. and i've also seen people completely fuck up their lives while drunk, and in my experience, there is a much greater psychological dependence on alcohol than on marijuana.

Yes, I agree. There are certainly degrees of marijuana use and the daily stoner can certainly fall short of his/her potential. I just see more problems with addictions to alcohol and prescription meds than with the responsible use of marijuana.

Irvine511 said:

because that was such an effective slogan/campaign.

i remember the Onion headline ... Nancy Reagan Ends Nation's Drug Problem with Appearance on A Very Special 'Different Strokes'

just a joke, mind you

no opinion on the subject but I'm sure that will change when I have children

How many pot-fueled riots, high speed car accidents, fights or murders have you heard about? Booze makes you want to do reckless things, pot makes you want to relax. If we had our priorities straight, alcohol would be the villain here, not pot.

Back
Top Bottom