Here we go America! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2002, 06:47 PM   #1
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:18 PM
Here we go America!

President Bush just overturned or repealed clean air initiatives. Next we will be drilling in our pristine most northern state. We will pay for this for the next two years and you haven't seen shit yet. Reap what you sow. Get in involved, add your voice.

Old 11-22-2002, 06:54 PM   #2
Kid A

i hope you don't drive a car or heat your home

Old 11-22-2002, 07:13 PM   #3
New Yorker

Yes I do. So it's all in how you conserve not only in how you use.
edited cause

I can heat my home without creating more greenhouse gases. You should read up on real scientific journals, not Rush Limbaugh's bullshit.

Sorry if I'm belligerant, but I'm pissed. Does no one care what kind of world we hand off to our children.
Old 11-22-2002, 07:20 PM   #4
New Yorker

Soory, I'm off again. The headlines for tomorrow are already reading "Bush's Rape of America's Enviroment"
Old 11-22-2002, 07:32 PM   #5
Kid A

Rush?? haha, I've posted many times when his name has popped up that i have no respect for him.

I respect your concerns, I have them too, but I read and hear time and time again on this website and from politicians and political pundits, what's wrong with this or with that, but I never hear any ideas or solutions being put forth into action. People will say, "don't pollute, less oil drilling" that's fine, but then no one wants nuclear power plants, no one's supporting new research and alternatives that are within our grasp; oil will still be a fact of life until we find solutions with clean alternative energy sources.

You can't just expect to stop something so vital to millions of people and not have a replacement waiting to fill the void.
Old 11-22-2002, 07:34 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Time to invest in the drilling companies and the pipe making companies that are going to be working up there in that state. Any idea as to whom will be doing the drilling?

Peace
Old 11-22-2002, 07:42 PM   #7
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer

I respect your concerns, I have them too, but I read and hear time and time again on this website and from politicians and political pundits, what's wrong with this or with that, but I never hear any ideas or solutions being put forth into action. People will say, "don't pollute, less oil drilling" that's fine, but then no one wants nuclear power plants, no one's supporting new research and alternatives that are within our grasp; oil will still be a fact of life until we find solutions with clean alternative energy sources.

You can't just expect to stop something so vital to millions of people and not have a replacement waiting to fill the void.
I couldn't agree with you more, but in Time magazine a month or so ago they laid down several alternatives. Some are being promoted by the gov't., but most are by energy com[anies themselves. They also laid out how our gov't could promote alternative energy sources (if the administrations and special interest groups could lay off) for very little money. The major thing our gov't could do is promote alternative energy in gov't buildings. This would force competition and force prices down.
Old 11-22-2002, 07:45 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

The problem with new oil is that it takes at least a decade to explore the area. That means that we'll likely have hydrogen fuel cells working by then...and we'll be wasting money looking for oil to make Bush's patrons happy.

Melon
Old 11-22-2002, 07:49 PM   #9
New Yorker

Melon

Dang, I haven't read a post youve write for two months that I've more than minorly diagreed with.

That is why Bush's Hawk's are after the Middle East.

edited cause - my son is talking to me and I can't type and talk
Old 11-22-2002, 09:24 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 03:18 AM
Normal

I just sent an email to pres. Bush about this, and I'm not usually a letter-writer.

I couldn't believe he would take away air pollution regulations when only a week or two ago a scientific study came out that reported emissions from power plants and coal burning were causing toxic levels of mercury in fish. They found people who eat more than two servings a week had over the allowable amount of mercury. Too much mercury causes fatigue and memory loss.

Those are exactly the symptoms I had after taking fish-oil supplements last summer, thinking it would be good for my health. I didn't connect the problems with the fish oil, but since I stopped taking them I have felt much better.

There are solutions to this, if our country will commit to them. Hybrid technology is already out, hydrogen engines, that emit NO pollution are almost ready to market, and solar power is still a possibility. San Francisco is investing in it for all city buildings. And conservation. To the oil companies, I say "diversify."

I'm very sad I can't enjoy tuna anymore.
Old 11-22-2002, 11:22 PM   #11
She's the One

Local Time: 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer
no one's supporting new research and alternatives that are within our grasp
Hmmm, could that have anything to do with the oil companies contributions to the men who have been president for the last few years/decades? I dunno. You tell me.
Old 11-23-2002, 02:50 AM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 08:18 PM
Wanderer, you ask for an alterneative. Kyoto?

I dont agree with it wholey but some of the things propsed are good ideas. You say there is no alternatives but even if you say Kyoto isnt an alternative anything is better then the current state.
Old 11-23-2002, 03:34 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:18 PM
i agree bonoman.

though i wish our government would stop saying that it wont even cost us financially. kyoto will, but thats fine, thats not even the point.

its funny how too much is not enough.

we have created this world where we "depend" on oil, gas, mcdonalds (fast food) and everything else that is making us worse as a society for several reasons. there is noone to blame but us.
Old 11-23-2002, 08:30 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by DebbieSG
To the oil companies, I say "diversify."

Well, someday they'll realize that they need to do so, or else they'll cease to exist in about 50-70 years...
Old 11-25-2002, 12:52 AM   #15
Kid A

yes, oil lobbyists block alternative energy, no secret there

question: i read that kyoto is costing the global community about 250,000 - 500,000 jobs, is this accurate?