Help stop a new nuclear reactor in Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooropamanda

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I live in a suburb which sits beside another suburb which inhabits a nuclear reactor.
At present we are fighting to stop a new bigger reactor being built in Sydney. The government isn't backing down, or using their brains and or hearts in the slightest. Children live here. Its a completely built up suburban bushland area full of families.
Yet they continue to make plans for the newer bigger nuclear reactor.

There are many campaigns to try and stop it. But they need help. I know many of you think that Sellafield is an issue worth fighting for. Lucas Heights is no different.

I signed my name to a petition yesterday and inked my handprint onto a banner to go around the country.

Please help by going here to write emails or link to banners for your webpages
http://www.reactnow.org/front.html

and then go here to sign 2 online petitions
http://www.cat.org.au/spannr/

Please sign, or email, every voice counts.
Thank you if you decide to protest.

reactionlink.gif

are you able to provide any information on the reactor design/company behind the construction and proposal?
believe it or not there is a 'right' way to build a reactor and to take care of it and there are companies who are fully capable of maintaining the reactor over time.
they are not neccessarily bad.
sellafield and chernobyl are extreme cases that should never have occured and hopefully won't be repeated. but a good design coupled with a responsible management utility can make nuclear power the best option.
if you feel it is intrusive within your community or everyone is inevitably going to end up with cancer then i would say go ahead. but in many cases nuclear power is the best option for power supply/environmental effects/cost feasibility.

*my father works for one of the world leaders in reactor design, atomic energy of canada. just thought i would mention that so if you consider me biased, feel free to do so, but i do believe what i say-->they are putting me through school
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by kobayashi (edited 04-25-2002).]

Originally posted by kobayashi:
are you able to provide any information on the reactor design/company behind the construction and proposal?
believe it or not there is a 'right' way to build a reactor and to take care of it and there are companies who are fully capable of maintaining the reactor over time.
they are not neccessarily bad.
sellafield and chernobyl are extreme cases that should never have occured and hopefully won't be repeated. but a good design coupled with a responsible management utility can make nuclear power the best option.
if you feel it is intrusive within your community or everyone is inevitably going to end up with cancer then i would say go ahead. but in many cases nuclear power is the best option for power supply/environmental effects/cost feasibility.

*my father works for one of the world leaders in reactor design, atomic energy of canada. just thought i would mention that so if you consider me biased, feel free to do so, but i do believe what i say-->they are putting me through school
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by kobayashi (edited 04-25-2002).]

Maybe there is a right way to build a reactor but where do we dump the nuclear waiste?

Read you, Rono.

There is no nuclear Power into the national grid in australia - Lucas heights to date has just been a source of medicinal radioactive products, research and a few other things. it was built out in the bush in the 1950's - and then sydneys suburbs migrated around it.

Also, i know someone who has done research on risk assessment of the SA site as a nuclear waste repository. He and I know that the risk is almost negligable, the area under consideration is one of the most stable places on earth.

Im against it.

Originally posted by Rono:
Maybe there is a right way to build a reactor but where do we dump the nuclear waiste?

Read you, Rono.

presently aecl and their candu series of reactors put waste into pools where it stays for some number of years before going into dry storage.
it's certainly not totally clean and there is risk present. but as with all things you have find a balance of reasonable risk assessment, cost, quality of the solution.

Back
Top Bottom