Help! Mom! There are liberals under my bed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Customers who bought this book also bought

* 100 People Who Are Screwing Up America by Bernard Goldberg
* Liberwocky: What Liberals Say and What They Really Mean by Victor Gold
* How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must): The World According to Ann Coulter by Ann Coulter
* The Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam (And the Crusades) by Robert Spencer
* South Park Conservatives : The Revolt Against Liberal Media Bias by Brian C. Anderson
* A Patriot's History of the United States : From Columbus's Great Discovery to the War on Terror by Larry Schweikart

:coocoo:

That's garbage about libraries being filled with books advocating marijuana use. We have anti-pot books in my library. We have plenty of kids' anti-drug books, we don't have one single one advocating drug use.

Ha! That's funny.

(step back and realize that this is adult humor in the form of a children's book)

I guess were back to no humor around here. :angry:

The problem isn't that there's no sense of humor; I'm sure that the book is meant to be a satire. What scares the heck out of me is the possibility that some people might not get the joke and actually give it to a kid.

nbcrusader said:
Ha! That's funny.

(step back and realize that this is adult humor in the form of a children's book)

I guess were back to no humor around here. :angry:

no, it's not a satire. that's the thing. i love satire. this isn't it.

read:

Book Description
This full-color illustrated book is a fun way for parents to teach young children the valuable lessons of conservatism. Written in simple text, readers can follow along with Tommy and Lou as they open a lemonade stand to earn money for a swing set. But when liberals start demanding that Tommy and Lou pay half their money in taxes, take down their picture of Jesus, and serve broccoli with every glass of lemonade, the young brothers experience the downside to living in Liberaland.

From the Publisher
Would you let your child read blatantly liberal stories with titles such as "King & King," "No, George, No," or "It's Just a Plant"?
Unless you live in Haight-Ashbury or write for the New York Times, probably not. But with the nation’s libraries and classrooms filled with overtly liberal children’s books advocating everything from gay marriage to marijuana use, kids everywhere are being deluged with left-wing propaganda.

"Help! Mom! There Are Liberals Under My Bed" is the book conservative parents have been seeking. This illustrated book — the first in the "Help! Mom!" series from Kids Ahead — is perfect for parents who seek to share their traditional values with their children, as well as adults who wish to give a humorous gift to a friend.

Hailed as "the answer to a baseball mom's prayers" by talk radio host Melanie Morgan, "Liberals Under My Bed" has already been the subject of coverage in The Wall Street Journal and Harper’s magazine. Written by a self-proclaimed "Security Mom for Bush" and featuring hilarious full-color illustrations by a Reuben Award winning artist, it is certain to be one of the most talked about children's books of the year.

nbcrusader said:
That's part of the satire.

Hook - Line - Sinker

so Amazon has been fooled?

i suppose we could get very artsy, deconstructing the whole thing; however, i think we all know that there are people out there who are going to buy this for their children and read it to them as if it were a storybook.

those people are idiots.

but still ... what does it say about a movement that is looking more and more maoist in propaganda tactics?

All it says is someone is trying to make money on the whole "conservative/liberal" divide.

I'd worry more about the stuff that is handed out for free.

"South Park Conservatives" cracks me up, considering the show is a parody of small-town conservatism and their narrow POVs. When they make fun of "liberal celebrities," how is that any different than how a small town hysterically would perceive Hollywood?

The show is decidedly anarchist.

Melon

DrTeeth said:
Customers who bought this book also bought

* 100 People Who Are Screwing Up America by Bernard Goldberg

has anyone seen the Daily Show interview with this guy? it's hilarious!

anyway, satire or not, the lemonade stand example of what liberals will do to you is pretty funny.

Humor around here generally gets tossed out the window when liberals are made fun of...personally, I think political satire on both sides of the spectrum is pretty darn funny.

If this were political satire it wouldn't be marketed as a true children's book.

It's conervative paranoia, plain and simple. We live in a country full of it.

If were truly satire, I would enjoy a laugh, but this is just brainwashing bullshit.

Which is more troublesome: the perceived stereotypes contained in the book (I take it that no one has read the book) or the stereotypes tossed around in FYM?

nbcrusader said:
Which is more troublesome: the perceived stereotypes contained in the book (I take it that no one has read the book) or the stereotypes tossed around in FYM?

Any stereotype is troublesome, but a stereotype in a child's hand is far more dangerous.

nbcrusader said:
:lmao:

Your stereotype is worse than mine

FYM IS a funny place.

:huh: Growing up, I wasn't aware of overtly political stereotypes. Not until teenage young adult years did I deal with these stereotypes, hopefully by then most are intelligent enough to not let their life be ruled by these stereotypes. But if you feed your children these stereotypes you'll basically be raising the next Ann Coulter or worse, where they won't be able to live beyond those stereotypes.

Take racism for example. You have a racist raising a kid, they are still probably reading children's books that deal with getting along with everyone, or the may be learning Jesus loves the little children, they have some other influences outside of what they see their parents and still may have a chance of growing up and not being a racists. But if every learning tool they've ever been given contributes to that logic they have almost no chance. In fact there's a great chance that they will grow up to be the next leader of the KKK.

All I'm saying is that a stereotype in a child's hand will have a lot longer to compoud and you have a greater chance at have an extremist on your hands.

nbcrusader said:

would you feel the same way if the book, aimed, as we have determined, at children, used the same kind of language and stereotypes only instead of "liberals" they used "black people" or "jews" or "conservative christians"?

Irvine511 said:
would you feel the same way if the book, aimed, as we have determined, at children, used the same kind of language and stereotypes only instead of "liberals" they used "black people" or "jews" or "conservative christians"?

Good idea. I think I'll write a children's book.

"Help! Mom! The Christian Taliban Is Under My Bed!"

Melon

It keeps getting better! Now satire about liberals = racism!!

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I think the universe would implode if FYM had a sense of humor for more than three days. :wink:

The universe is safe for now.

Depending on the parents, kids are going to pick up a certain amount of their parents' politics. Some parents are going to try more overtly to raise their kids to follow a certain party, but in the end you have to hope most people will make up their own minds as they become adults. A book about why liberals are bad is no worse than having a conversation at the dinner table about why you dislike liberal policies. :shrug:

To compare it to racism or anti-semitism is kind of extreme, in my opinion...

Better to have Liberals under your bed, dears, than Conservatives standing around your bed deciding what you can and cannot do in it.

:wink:

VertigoGal said:
A book about why liberals are bad is no worse than having a conversation at the dinner table about why you dislike liberal policies. :shrug:
Adults having a conversation about politics around children and a book geared towards their understanding and putting it in terms they'll understand are two entirely different things.
VertigoGal said:

To compare it to racism or anti-semitism is kind of extreme, in my opinion...

Hate is hate, it doesn't matter why or who you hate. Hate is hate.

This isn't a matter of not agreeing with policy this is going out of the way to instill fear and equate them with monsters, that if liberals run the office their Jesus and jobs are taken away.

Irvine511 said:

:up:

indra said:
Better to have Liberals under your bed, dears, than Conservatives standing around your bed deciding what you can and cannot do in it.

:wink:

:lol:

BVS, I don't see any hate, just reactionary fear-mongering. Does the fact that it's put into words kids understand (as opposed to the dinnertime conversation) turn it into hate?

The difference between liberals and blacks/Jews/etc is that liberals do have an agenda, of course they do. While it'd be wrong to write a children's book called "All Liberals Should Be Shot," this is just a pathetic attempt to impress upon kids a conservative mindset.

Back
Top Bottom