Help! Mom! There are liberals under my bed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The fact that some can't see the difference between this and Harry Potter scares me, because some of you may be parents.

And no where did anyone say they shouldn't have the right to write this.:huh:

Irvine511 said:
your first sentence doesn't make any sense.

Sorry, it was you "two" replies. My bad.

Irvine511 said:
i could care less if there were a leftist equivalent, and i'd think it just as silly, but notice that there isn't one. why not? and what makes this book a bit different, and more sinister than your attempt to link this with typical children's literature, is the (not very good) caricaturing of contemporary politicans.

It's "sinister" now? Because you see Ted & Hillary on the cover? The distinction is meaningless.

Irvine511 said:
this thread isn't about the book, but more about what the book tells us about the author and the republican party. i know it's easier to think that people are outraged at the existence of the book; but if you take a closer look you'll see that most thoughtful posts are centered not around the portrayal of the left, but about how the book is meant to function (regardless of political agenda ... it just so happens that this is a right wing book, and thus, because books are cultural artifacts, it tells us something about the book's intended audience).

Back to the VRWC (vast right-wing conspiracy)? A commentary on the Republican party?

Under that standard, there is plenty of agenda driven writtings that we can now attribute to the DNC.

nbcrusader said:
It's "sinister" now? Because you see Ted & Hillary on the cover? The distinction is meaningless.

Back to the VRWC (vast right-wing conspiracy)? A commentary on the Republican party?

Under that standard, there is plenty of agenda driven writtings that we can now attribute to the DNC.

i think a loose political allegory (i.e., "the wizard of oz") versus the cartooning and placing under the bed of current politicans is very different. yes, it is more sinister. not because they are Democrats, but because there is no allegory or satire. it would be just as sinister/Maoist as if it were Tom DeLay and Rove.

i mentioned nothing about the VRWC -- what do you mean? yes, the book does fashion one sort of commentary on both the author, the drive to publish the book (all books are published for a reason, and that reason is, primarily, that it will sell), and those who purchase the book. sew these things together, and cultural commentary you have.

and what agenda-driven writings aimed at 5 year olds can be attributed to the DNC?

other than communist books about sharing. ;)

(i've not once brought up the RNC, btw)

Irvine511 said:
i think a loose political allegory (i.e., "the wizard of oz") versus the cartooning and placing under the bed of current politicans is very different. yes, it is more sinister. not because they are Democrats, but because there is no allegory or satire. it would be just as sinister/Maoist as if it were Tom DeLay and Rove.

The book is allegory - just get past the cover illustration.

Irvine511 said:
(i've not once brought up the RNC, btw)

Irvine511 said:
(the republican party

???? I guess there may be an inside the beltway distinction.

nbcrusader said:

How? It's like it changes them to pixies vs. hobbit. It's still Conservative vs. Liberal with Liberal's being the bad guys.

I see no allegory, they didn't even bother to change the names for security of the victim.:wink:

How will I ever get any sleep now, now I have this morbid fear that Rush Limbaugh will be under my bed :no:

That book is freaky :huh: , it would seem just as freaky to me if it said "help Mom there are conservatives under my bed". If people would seriously use that w/ their kids then I think they should take a good hard look at their parenting skills.

nbcrusader said:

???? I guess there may be an inside the beltway distinction.

then we have different interpretations of allegory. can we at least agree that it is deficient in imagination?

it's a very clear distinction.

www.rnc.org

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Better than in your bed.:wink:

Made me simultaneously gag on AND spray my Coke everywhere...it was quite painful, actually...

I certainly support anything or anyone that gets all you libs foaming at the mouth.

The reactions are priceless.

theblazer said:
I certainly support anything or anyone that gets all you libs foaming at the mouth.

well, i found it on a conservative website that pointed to it as evidence of the party having fully drunk the Kool-Aid and transformed from a political party into a religion or movement. the words Maoist were used as well.

but i suppose independent thought is to be discouraged.

theblazer said:

*Sighs* While I agree that it is just a book and can only be as influential as someone lets it, at the same time, can we at least agree that if the situation were reversed, there would be some conservatives reacting in similar fashion? Both sides have people that would be offended by this sort of thing.

Also, on a lighter note...

MrsSpringsteen said:
How will I ever get any sleep now, now I have this morbid fear that Rush Limbaugh will be under my bed :no:

...don't give me nightmares, MrsSpringsteen!

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
*Sighs* While I agree that it is just a book and can only be as influential as someone lets it, at the same time, can we at least agree that if the situation were reversed, there would be some conservatives reacting in similar fashion? Both sides have people that would be offended by this sort of thing.

But, you can agree it gets a little foamier in FYM when the liberals are poked a bit. :wink:

I think what amuses me the most is that you could probably change the book from "liberals" to "conservatives," switch the organizations and specific people around to conservative organizations and people, and the plot could remain the same.

Melon

melon said:
I think what amuses me the most is that you could probably change the book from "liberals" to "conservatives," switch the organizations and specific people around to conservative organizations and people, and the plot could remain the same.

only you'd hear cries of religious discrimination and mutterings about how the liberal media conspires against them.

not to mention those lefty academics.

Back
Top Bottom