Help! Mom! There are liberals under my bed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:

Any stereotype is troublesome, but a stereotype in a child's hand is far more dangerous.

You are right on here.

I was involved with a divorced mom with 7 and 9 year old sons.

I chose my words very carefully, it was amazing what empty vessels they were to be influenced.

Little bits of racism, sexism and intolerance were being absorbed daily.

I was careful to be respectful of Government officials, religion, and authority figures in their presence.

With my adult friends, I may pop off in certain situations.

I was raised in an environment where there was subtle intolerance.

It has taken me a lifetime to understand this.

I am letting go of prejudices,
that many would not even admit to having.

btw, I read quite a bit about this author, publisher a few weeks back

Adults can say it is a satire.

She intends it to be used as a teaching tool by conservative parents.

It is ugly, children deserve better.

In my third grade class when they announced that Kennedy had been killed

I said, "Good, he was a communist"

I wonder what poison some parents are putting into children’s heads today.

I have read some of it in their replies,
in these threads.

Last edited:
This review is telling:

This is the kind of garbage that makes me embarrassed to be a conservative. Degrading the opposition is the rule of sport in American politics, of course, but this reminds me of the type of propaganda taught to Hitler's Youth. Gross. Both parties need to grow up!

(emphasis mine)

Katherine DeBrecht's `Help! Mom! There are Liberals Under My Bed!' is an interesting book which shows readers how liberalism affects society as illustrated through the story of two boys and lemonade stand. It also encourages readers to deeply consider this ideology and its policies so as to seek a solution regarding why one should be fearful of liberalism, its tenets, and its followers.

This book tells the story of two brothers, Tommy and Lou, who have decided to open a lemonade stand in an effort to raise money for a swing set. Unfortunately, the likelihood of that dream actually becoming a reality is halted by outrageous obstacles imposed upon them by liberal authorities who govern the city where the boys live. For instance, a liberal mayor taxes the brothers' profits, which ends up amounting to half their total earnings. A liberal lawmaker opposed to sugary beverages makes them sell each glass with a serving of broccoli. On top of the brothers' stand is an image of Jesus, but faced with opposition from the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), they are forced to remove it. Exacerbating matters even further, the liberals not only take over the children's lemonade stand, but they offer sour lemonade to the public at prices which are hardly affordable.

`Help! Mom! There are Liberals Under My Bed' is sure to be a useful tool for conservative parents seeking to instill conservative values within their offspring. Moreover, it will also be a valuable resource for anyone seeking knowledge relative to the influence of liberalism upon society in general. This fun children's story not only features an underlying, important political message, but also promotes industrious work, lucid thinking, and conservative ideas.

VertigoGal said:

:lol:

BVS, I don't see any hate, just reactionary fear-mongering. Does the fact that it's put into words kids understand (as opposed to the dinnertime conversation) turn it into hate?

The difference between liberals and blacks/Jews/etc is that liberals do have an agenda, of course they do. While it'd be wrong to write a children's book called "All Liberals Should Be Shot," this is just a pathetic attempt to impress upon kids a conservative mindset.

You don't need violence to define hate.

"Would you let your child read blatantly liberal stories with titles such as King & King; No, George, No; or It's Just a Plant?

Unless you live in Haight-Ashbury or write for the New York Times, probably not. But with the nation's libraries and classrooms filled with overtly liberal children's books advocating everything from gay marriage to marijuana use, kids everywhere are being deluged with left-wing propaganda. "

Yeah this doesn't sound like hostility or detest towards a group. It's propaganda against a certain group of Americans :| But I guess that's OK now?

My thoughts-it's a book. It's no more or less influential than any other book out there. As long as the parents take it upon themselves to teach their children to not stereotype or not treat people disrespectfully based on political affiliation or whatever else, I don't think they should have anything to fear when their child starts coming across things like this.

That said...

indra said:
Better to have Liberals under your bed, dears, than Conservatives standing around your bed deciding what you can and cannot do in it.

:wink:

:laugh: :up:. Good one :D.

Angela

nbcrusader said:
Which is more troublesome: the perceived stereotypes contained in the book (I take it that no one has read the book) or the stereotypes tossed around in FYM?

well a certain amount of this stuff was re-ignited ....back in the earlym 90's when Newt Gingrich a a few others compilded a list of strong derogatory words to start using repeatedly against Democrats in a concentrated effort leading up to the US COngress turning Republican & Neo-conservative. :madspit: :madspit: :madspit:

real "wholesome", nb. hey?

IF i didn't have a general stress & eye-headache headache/quesy stomach for the past 2 hours- which limits my ability to go though the net fast with limited time i have.........I'd google up to find this right now- cuase i've hesard parts of it over the last 10 yrs or so from time to time.}.....and i 'll try to do it in the next few days.

dazzledbylight said:
IF i didn't have a general stress & eye-headache headache/quesy stomach for the past 2 hours- which limits my ability to go though the net fast with limited time i have.........I'd google up to find this right now- cuase i've hesard parts of it over the last 10 yrs or so from time to time.}.....and i 'll try to do it in the next few days.

Hope you do find the stuff whenever you can-it sounds interesting.

Also, feel better soon :hug:.

Angela

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You don't need violence to define hate.

"Would you let your child read blatantly liberal stories with titles such as King & King; No, George, No; or It's Just a Plant?

Unless you live in Haight-Ashbury or write for the New York Times, probably not. But with the nation's libraries and classrooms filled with overtly liberal children's books advocating everything from gay marriage to marijuana use, kids everywhere are being deluged with left-wing propaganda. "

Yeah this doesn't sound like hostility or detest towards a group. It's propaganda against a certain group of Americans :| But I guess that's OK now?

Well in the legal sense, yeah I think it's fine. Look, I think the book is kind of pathetic, but there are always fringe groups who think the other side is out to get them. I'm not exactly concerned by it. And I have a feeling if the book were called, "Help Mom! There are conservatives peeking in my window!" it would get little more than a chuckle from a lot of people here.

i suppose what it comes down to is this: it isn't satire. it's an indoctrination book for little tykes. the author claims its some sort of riposte or defense from the million-and-one liberal books out there.

just what are those books? the ones that tell you about different ways to help the environment? the ones that explain, gently, that, yes, hundreds of thousands of children have same-sex parents?

there simply isn't (unless i am mistaken ... and i'd love to see the quivalent) a liberal equivalent to this Maoist-like little book. come on. it has caricatures of the HRC-bomb and Teddy Kennedy. it has a Democratic donkey under the bed, posing as a member of the press (get those "liberal media" charges started good and early). it goes into tax policy and the "liberal media" canard.

oh, and it's #44 on Amazon.

And I suppose what it comes down to for me is that the guy who wrote it is an idiot. Just like the people who burn Harry Potter books are idiots. All you can do is have a laugh at their expense and move on. :shrug:

It is pretty sad that it's at no.44 though. I'd like to think there aren't that many people who would buy a book like that.

VertigoGal said:

And I have a feeling if the book were called, "Help Mom! There are conservatives peeking in my window!" it would get little more than a chuckle from a lot of people here.

There are extremes on both, we all know that.

I just don't think the left has the paranoia the right does, I don't think the left uses the word "conservative" as a bad word as much as the right has turned liberal into one, just look at Bush's campaign speeches.

deep said:
Katherine DeBrecht's `Help! Mom! There are Liberals Under My Bed!' is an interesting book which shows readers how liberalism affects society as illustrated through the story of two boys and lemonade stand. It also encourages readers to deeply consider this ideology and its policies so as to seek a solution regarding why one should be fearful of liberalism, its tenets, and its followers.

This book tells the story of two brothers, Tommy and Lou, who have decided to open a lemonade stand in an effort to raise money for a swing set. Unfortunately, the likelihood of that dream actually becoming a reality is halted by outrageous obstacles imposed upon them by liberal authorities who govern the city where the boys live. For instance, a liberal mayor taxes the brothers' profits, which ends up amounting to half their total earnings. A liberal lawmaker opposed to sugary beverages makes them sell each glass with a serving of broccoli. On top of the brothers' stand is an image of Jesus, but faced with opposition from the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), they are forced to remove it. Exacerbating matters even further, the liberals not only take over the children's lemonade stand, but they offer sour lemonade to the public at prices which are hardly affordable.

`Help! Mom! There are Liberals Under My Bed' is sure to be a useful tool for conservative parents seeking to instill conservative values within their offspring. Moreover, it will also be a valuable resource for anyone seeking knowledge relative to the influence of liberalism upon society in general. This fun children's story not only features an underlying, important political message, but also promotes industrious work, lucid thinking, and conservative ideas.

I think the story deserves a new twist:

Tommy and Lou decide to open a Lemonade Stand. They make a profit of 25 cents per glass. Soon, their piggy bank is at $25.00, but Tommy decides that it is not enough. He decides to double the price per glass of lemonade. Lou decides to join in on the action, but, instead of raising the price of lemonade, he decides to replace the lemons with a "lemon substitute" that costs half as much to purchase, along with a questionable sugar substitute that may or may not cause cancer.

"Tommy, if it caused cancer, why would it be on the market?"

Tommy agrees. The Lemonade Stand opens the next day, and they rake in 1.5 times the profit that they received yesterday. Tommy is upset, though; they should be making double profit. And they see their culprit: a couple of Mexican children across the street selling lemonade for a nickel.

Lou cries, "Those f***ing illegal immigrants are taking away our profits!" Tommy nods his head in agreement.

"We will make sure they pay."

Tommy asks his parents, Fritz and Juanita, to do something about those "illegal immigrants" across the street.

"But, Tommy, how do you know they're illegal immigrants? You know, your grandparents were immigrants too," Juanita retorted.

"Mother, have you become a terrorist sympathizer? You're a traitor to America!"

Tommy and Lou run out of the house, angry.

"If our parents aren't going to do anything about these terrorists, then we will have to form a band of 'Minutemen' to take care of it ourselves," Tommy said, with conviction.

"But, Tommy, there's an easier solution than that!" Tommy's interest was piqued. They decided to approach the Lemonade Stand.

"Hola," said one of the Mexican children. The other one smiled and asked,

"Would you like to buy some lemonade? It's for a good cause. Our sister needs an operation, and we're doing everything we can to help."

"Heh," Tommy thought to himself. "If they'd only get a real job, they'd have health insurance. Only lazy people don't have health care."

"We have a proposition for you," Lou said. "The market for lemonade is getting tight. Competition is rough out there, and we would like to propose a merger."

"Oh no. We're not for sale."

"You mistake our intentions. This isn't a 'buy-out." This is a 'merger of equals.' We would all run the Lemonade Stand, taking the best elements of both stands and operating with higher profits and lower operating expenses."

"I don't know. I like our business as it is. We're not interested in selling."

"Fine," Lou stormed. "Have it your way." Tommy was mad. "Our profit margin has slashed, and we're going into debt."

"I think we should take out a loan. Then we can see if we can reposition ourselves better."

Tommy and Lou made a stop at the nearest bank, and approached a loan officer. They inquired about an operating loan to continue their Lemonade Stand.

"...so, you see, we would like a million dollar loan to expand and franchise our Lemonade Stand."

"I'm sorry, boys. To give you that loan, you need sufficient collateral."

Lou laughs. "Who said we didn't have collateral? Just give us an application." Lou filled out the application, being generous with the numbers.

"But, Lou. We didn't actually have $2 million in revenue last year. And our stand does not have a value of $1.5 million dollars!"

"Nonsense, Tommy. Our business is important enough that they can't say 'no.'"

(To be continued...)

Melon

Part 2:

Lou hands the loan officer his application.

"I think this application will be to your satisfaction, sir. As you can see, we are valuable customers with your bank, and I don't think you'd like it if I approached the bank across the street, now do you?"

The loan officer looks nervously.

"N..no. Of course not. Lemme look at the application." He calculates some numbers. "These numbers check out. Congratulations on your loan."

Tommy and Lou walk out with a million dollars. They take a look at their old stand.

"Pathetic. I wish we could build our stand across the street next to the other stand. We might be in a better position to compete," Tommy said.

"We should ask Mrs. Camden if we can move our stand in front of her house," Lou replied. They walked over to her house, and an old woman appeared at the door.

"We'd like to build our Lemonade Stand in front of your house to compete with the stand next door. We're willing to offer you $1000 for a 99 year lease."

"I'm not interested, boys. Go home." She closes the door in their faces. Lou get infuriated.

"How dare she insult our fair market price? I want this property, and I won't take 'no' for an answer."

"Maybe we can ask the Mayor for advice." Tommy and Lou go to City Hall, and ask to see the mayor. The secretary laughs in their faces and says that the Mayor is busy for the next three weeks. Lou takes out the $1000 he was going to give to Mrs. Camden and slips it to the secretary and gives her a sexy look.

"Would you mind checking the schedule again? I have a feeling there's an opening you might have missed." She takes the money and looks in her appointment book.

"Oh. My mistake. You can see the Mayor now." The boys were then given an audience with the Mayor who was actually using the hour to take a nap. He wakes up, and gets cross.

"What is the meaning of this?"

"Relax, Mayor. Everyone needs a midday nap. 'Mayoring' is hard work." Tommy and Lou have a heart-to-heart with the Mayor and discuss their situation, and how they would like some advice on how they can force Mrs. Camden to let them build their Lemonade Stand in front of her house.

"I understand your situation, boys, but I don't know if there's much I can do. There's such a thing as 'private property' in America."

"B...but...it's not fair! Our business will generate far more tax revenue than Mrs. Camden's fat ass. Isn't there anything that can be done?" Lou took out another $25,000 and handed it to the Mayor.

"I think there IS something that we might be able to do for you, boys."

(To be continued...)

Melon

BonoVoxSupastar said:

There are extremes on both, we all know that.

I just don't think the left has the paranoia the right does, I don't think the left uses the word "conservative" as a bad word as much as the right has turned liberal into one, just look at Bush's campaign speeches.

I agree, liberal has become a dirty word while Bush still tries desperately to convince people he's a conservative.

melon, that's funny because I was just imagining what the liberal version of that book would be. :wink:

Part 3:

The next day, Tommy and Lou approached Mrs. Camden's house with the police and a court order.

"But you can't do this! This is MY property," Mrs. Camden cried.

"Eminent domain, ma'am," the police replied. "These boys will contribute to the local treasury, while all you do leach off of our hard earned wages and get diabetes supplies through the mail and bill it to Medicare. Who cares about you?!"

Mrs. Camden was handed $800 and told to leave the boys alone.

"I told you she would pay for ignoring our original offer," Lou laughed.

"I don't feel so good about this, though. Isn't 'eminent domain' librul?"

"Nonsense, Tommy! It's only 'librul' if Ted Kennedy does it. And we're not Ted Kennedy, right?"

"You're right, Lou. We're good patriots, unlike that terrorist sympathizer communist, Ted Kennedy."

In the meantime, their Lemonade Stand had not operated in over a week, and many of their former customers had now discovered the Lemonade Stand that was formerly across the street and now next door to them.

"A nickel? How are we supposed to operate with such highway robbery?"

"We need to first reestablish our business, Lou. And then we can start a marketing campaign." So they spend $10,000 to build a shiny new Lemonade Stand with neon lights, and, to offset the expenses, started adding water to their lemonade substitute. The next day, they approached an advertising agency and hired them for $900,000 to create a glitzy campaign with Paris Hilton as their spokesperson. Tommy and Lou watched it with excitement, but Tommy looked puzzled.

"Lou, why isn't Paris Hilton drinking our lemonade?"

"Because she's taking a bath with it, stupid."

(To be continued...)

Melon

well, in all seriousness, how is what melon's writing any different from this book? (aside from the fact that melon's book wouldn't make it to no. 44 on amazon.) the only difference is that a lot of people here would agree with his view.

VertigoGal said:
well, in all seriousness, how is what melon's writing any different from this book? (aside from the fact that melon's book wouldn't make it to no. 44 on amazon.) the only difference is that a lot of people here would agree with his view.

The difference: Melon's is being read by adults not marketed to "security moms".

How come we can't see the difference here?:huh:

Part 4:

The ad campaign worked to bring in all kinds of new customers, where they raked in $2000 on the first day. The boys were excited and dreamed about all the things they could do with their hard earned money.

The next day, however, they were shocked to see the neighboring Lemonade Stand already open for business.

"They're taking away all of our customers!"

"Don't they ever sleep? It's 12 fricken o'clock!"

"That's it, Tommy. We need to get our friends to help out, so we can be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week!" Tommy and Lou crossed the street again to their friends, Adam and Steve.

"Adam, we need your help. We work the Lemonade Stand from noon to 5 pm and we need you and Steve to work it from 5 pm through noon on the next day."

"What are you going to pay us if we do?" Steve replied.

"Pay? What do you think we are...made of money?"

Tommy responded to Lou, "We can part with some money. We've been blessed." He then turned to Adam and Steve. "How about 25 cents a day?" Adam and Steve laughed in their faces.

"I make $5 an hour mowing the lawn."

"Fine, you ingrates. We'll find someone who appreciates our fine business!" Tommy and Lou angrily walked away. "How DARE they reject our offer? What's wrong with this country?"

Tommy looked at the money in his pocket, which now less than $100,000.

"Damn taxes. Eating up all of our profits!"

"I agree with you, Lou. The government is stealing all of our hard earned money. How are we supposed to pay back the loan with all these taxes eating up our money?"

The boys rushed back to City Hall, where both the secretary and the Mayor knew the boys on a first name basis.

"Tommy...Lou...what can I do for you today?"

"These TAXES are insane, Mayor. How are we supposed to do business in this socialist environment?"

Lou added angrily, "Mayor, if you don't give us a tax abatement, we might have to approach the mayor in the next city over and relocate our business over there. Would you like that?"

"No, of course not. We can give you a tax abatement for the next ten years, but you still have to pay state and federal taxes."

"Communists!"

"I'm sorry, boys. If you want to lower your taxes, you'll have to lobby the state and federal Congress to lower those taxes."

"Thank you, Mayor," Tommy said. "We'll keep this knowledge in mind." Lou left, fretting.

"We need to 'lobby' the state and federal government to lower our taxes or we'll go out of business."

"And then the terrorists will win," Tommy frowned. Lou pulled out a bunch of papers.

"And now the bank wants us to make our first payment. We don't have the money!" They went over to the bank to ask for another loan, but the bank laughed in their faces. But, luckily for them, a member of the local Chamber of Commerce just happened to be finishing his loan and striked up a conversation with the boys.

"Those liberals are driving you out of business with those high taxes that only Joseph Stalin and maybe Mao Tse-tung could love," the chamber member said. "But don't fret. We're here to help."

Tommy and Lou followed him to the local Chamber of Commerce, where they were having a meeting. The head of the Chamber took a liking to them.

"Boys, we're here to help. Things like minimum wages, health insurance, worker's compensation, and labor laws...all of them were created by Satan, whose minions, the 'Libruls,' were sent up from hell to destroy us true believers in Christ." Tommy recognized the head of the Chamber of Commerce. It was Rev. Chet Martin from his church!

"A house of God cannot survive with taxes. That is why Jesus created something we call 'tax exemption.' As such, my $35 million Christian complex can serve many consumers...I mean, 'believers'...that would otherwise never be saved if we had to pay taxes to Satan."

"I understand everything now," Lou said. "So it is our Christian duty to not pay taxes, which fuel the power of Satan?"

"My boys, you are smart. By the way, how much revenue have you brought in this year?"

"$1 million. From our operating loan."

"Excellent. So I assume you have your 10% tithe to give me to prevent yourself from going to hell?"

"What?! We only have about $70,000 left!" Rev. Chet hastily took the money.

"Consider it a down payment," Rev. Chet said. "Jesus should prevent you from being homeless now, but you'll still go to hell unless you come up with the other $30,000. Are you willing to risk eternal damnation and hellfire?"

"Oh no!" Lou cried. "Tommy, we need to come up with $30,000 or we're going to hell!"

(To be continued...)

Melon

Part 5:

"Get a hold of yourself, Lou. We need to get our business back and running, so we can make $30,000 and be saved!" The boys had a lot left to do. They had to save their Lemonade Stand from illegal immigrants and the evil "Libruls" bent on sending the world into the depths of hell.

Tommy and Lou asked all around their neighborhood to find people who would be willing to work their stand. All laughed in their faces. The Chamber of Commerce and Rev. Chet, however, did not abandon them.

"Boys, fear not. There are many companies in God's country that are in the same situation as you. That's why we successfully petitioned the federal government to allow for migrant workers to come and run your Lemonade Stand."

"You mean we're going to have illegal immigrants working our Lemonade Stand?" Tommy replied to Rev. Chet.

"Nonsense, Tommy. Have you been watching CNN? The Libruls are always on guard to corrupt young minds and bring you over to the side of Satan. No, migrant workers are a perfectly legal way to bring in laborers to perform jobs that Libruls are too pampered to perform. And the best part is? You can pay them a quarter a day working 12 hours a day, seven days a week and they will live like kings!"

"Golly, Rev. Chet. That's a great idea! How can we get migrant workers of our own?" Lou inquired.

"Fear not, my children of God. I have instructed that four migrant workers be sent to your stand right away. In fact, they are already there!"

Tommy, Lou and Rev. Chet rushed over to the stand, where the migrant workers were already making and selling lemonade.

"Praise Jesus! We're back in business!" Tommy and Lou cried with joy.

"But you forget, boys. You may be making enough to pay your migrant labor, but there is still the issue of the $30,000. But, rest assured, I still have one more piece of advice for you: if you get a group of investors together, you can form a corporation and franchise out all across God's country."

"And we'll be able to make the $30,000 and prevent ourselves from going to hell?"

"Yes, boys. Not only that, but the money that the investors contribute can also help you pay off the bank loan you have. With Jesus, all is possible, my children!"

(To be continued...)

Melon

Okay...I'll finish this later.

And before anyone gets offended, remind yourselves of the "South Park conservatives." A lot of this plays like an episode of South Park would play out, parody and all. I am purposely cracking out all the stereotypes possible, and it is purposely way over the top. Maybe then you'll see why it is silly to write a children's book with political leanings. :|

Melon

...simple text, readers can follow along with Tommy and Lou as they open a lemonade stand to earn money for a swing set

Sounds pretty gay to me

Shouldn't they be playing football?

: offbeatsarcasm :

Irvine511 said:
oh, and lest you think this is limited to just one silly book ... come meet Russell, the Cat.

of course, Russell is also a Republican ...

http://www.russellrepublican.com/index.html

Naturally. Cats are stand-offish, will like you one minute and spurn you the next, and only come to you when they really need something.

Dogs, on the other hand, wear their hearts on their sleeves, make lots of noise, and let you know when they love you.

Back
Top Bottom