Hello Everyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

80sU2isBest

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Hello all,
Nice to "see" ya'll again.

I just wanted to drop in and say Hi.

I will mention a few words about some changes I've gone through since I left last August. It was only supposed to have been a 2 month hiatus, but it was extended, partly because I found not arguing a lot more peaceful than arguing.

I've lost one friend and am on the verge of losing another over something that I consider a big issue, but they don't. I've seen a side of both people that I don't care for, and I'm sure they're thinking the same about me.

Even as my financial situation got a much needed shot-in-the-arm (Thanks, God!), I have altered my thinking about the healthcare situation in the United States. While I do not advocate a national health care, I am more sensitive to the medical needs of the indigent. The working poor and those who are willing but unable to work really have a hard time with meeting their medical needs. I've come to realize that the governmental welfare organizations of this nation are in drastic need of overhaul; they often do not help those who need it most. In my opinion, the government shouldn't HAVE to help the poor, but are trying to do so because the church has dropped the ball. If more churches would stop the etxravagant spending on their "mega church" dreams, and would lend a hand in the fight against poverty, we could put a big dent in the poverty problem. I know a hard working, 54 year old man who will soon be on medical disability because of Lupas. The word got out, and some local church kids helped him out by painting his house for free. That's the kind of thing all of us, especially Christians, should be doing. And yes, the change must start in my own heart.

My thinking on "hate crimes" has also changed a little bit. I used to think "an assault is an assault, a murder is a murder; what's the need to distinguish certain crimes as "hate crimes". Well, I've decided that it does need to be done, and here's why. Crimes motivated by racial, ethnic and religious prejudice as well as crimes against homosexuals because they are homosexual have a certain "contagious" quality about them; it's sort of a copy-cat situation. One bigot is emboldened by another bigot's actions. If appropriate crimes are labelled as "hate crimes", it shows that the government is very serious about punishing this kind of specialized behavior. It sends a strong signal that we will not allow another Nazi-type uprising.

I'm beginning an interesting book written by a president of the Commission On Human Rights. It's about the origins of psychiatry and the damaging effect it has had on society.

Anyways, those are just some of my thoughts of the last 10 months. I am still a died-in-the-wool social and political conservative, so don't be thinking I've flipped on ya. That would never happen.

Mike

Hey, I've been thinking about you a lot--yesterday as a matter of fact--and wondering where you'd got to and how long that 2 months had been, lol. Missed you. Welcome home.

I guess I wasn't on Interference back when you last posted, so you wouldn't know me, but I just wanted to say that I thought your point about "hate crimes" was a good one. I hadn't really thought of that perspective.

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

80sU2isBest said:
I'm beginning an interesting book written by a president of the Commission On Human Rights. It's about the origins of psychiatry and the damaging effect it has had on society.Mike

Hey, could you tell me how to get hold of this book? I'd like to read it.

Nice to see you here again, sounds like things are going well for you and you've been up to some serious thinking about some things :). I hope you'll stay.

Things like that happen between friends unfortunately, but don't give up-maybe it can be worked out.

Re: Re: Hello Everyone

verte76 said:

Hey, could you tell me how to get hold of this book? I'd like to read it.

Well, it's called "Psychiatry: The Ultimate Betrayal", by Bruce Wiseman.

I just found out that it's commissioned by the Citizen's Commission On Civil Rights, which has some sort of affiliation with the Scientologists. I didn't know that when I started reading.

However, it doesn't promote Scientology, and doesn't really promote any one religion. However, the moral and social values it represents are Judeo Christian.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Nice to see you here again, sounds like things are going well for you and you've been up to some serious thinking about some things :). I hope you'll stay.

Things like that happen between friends unfortunately, but don't give up-maybe it can be worked out.

Thanks. I've missed talking to people here, especially you, actually.

Mike,
You mention health care.
Come to Canada and explore our health care system.
It leaves some things to be desired and is definately not perfect but it beats the hell out of the United States system.

80sU2isBest said:
My thinking on "hate crimes" has also changed a little bit. I used to think "an assault is an assault, a murder is a murder; what's the need to distinguish certain crimes as "hate crimes". Well, I've decided that it does need to be done, and here's why. Crimes motivated by racial, ethnic and religious prejudice as well as crimes against homosexuals because they are homosexual have a certain "contagious" quality about them; it's sort of a copy-cat situation. One bigot is emboldened by another bigot's actions. If appropriate crimes are labelled as "hate crimes", it shows that the government is very serious about punishing this kind of specialized behavior. It sends a strong signal that we will not allow another Nazi-type uprising.

I'm beginning an interesting book written by a president of the Commission On Human Rights. It's about the origins of psychiatry and the damaging effect it has had on society.

Nice to see that some of our beliefs have finally converged. :wink:

Melon

Re: Re: Re: Hello Everyone

80sU2isBest said:
Hate Crimes and psychiatry?

Partly tongue and cheek, because I'm not entirely sure what your exact opinion on psychiatry is, but I'm not exactly a fan of the profession either.

But that justification in support of "hate crime" laws is why I support them too.

Melon

Welcome back, 80s_U2_Is_The_Best, although I've not decided yet if I'm "back" or not; my life has gotten decidedly busier but in a very good way. It is good to see an old familiar friend such as yourself. I visited your large state over New Years for a certain football game in Dallas.

~U2Alabama

U2Bama said:
Welcome back, 80s_U2_Is_The_Best, although I've not decided yet if I'm "back" or not; my life has gotten decidedly busier but in a very good way. It is good to see an old familiar friend such as yourself. I visited your large state over New Years for a certain football game in Dallas.

~U2Alabama

I liked the outcome of that certain game.

I hate Tech.

U2Bama said:

~U2Alabama

Good to see you back, 80s :)

Hope to see you return, too Bama.

Irvine511 said:

Hey :wave:

Maybe we can start anew, Irvine?

I'm going to try not to argue this time around (but I try that every time upon my return), though I might still pop up with an opinion or two.

MrsSpringsteen said:

Well there's at least one person around here who would say you're nuts for saying that, but thanks all the same-I really appreciate that :)

Bollocks to that person! There's plenty more who'd agree with 80s.
:)

:hug:

80sU2isBest said:
Hello all,

This group (CCHR) is a front for scientology.

Back
Top Bottom