Hello Everyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Re: Hello Everyone

80sU2isBest said:

Well, it's called "Psychiatry: The Ultimate Betrayal", by Bruce Wiseman.

I just found out that it's commissioned by the Citizen's Commission On Civil Rights, which has some sort of affiliation with the Scientologists. I didn't know that when I started reading.

However, it doesn't promote Scientology, and doesn't really promote any one religion. However, the moral and social values it represents are Judeo Christian.

If it's affiliated in any way with Scientology (or an associated group), you can bet it has an agenda.

http://www.clambake.org/

Angela Harlem said:
Oh, 80s. :(
Are you buying what this book says?

I believed what this book said long before I ever even started reading it.

I have been very distrusting of Psychiatry for years and years.

And no, I am not a Scientologist.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hello Everyone

VintagePunk said:

If it's affiliated in any way with Scientology (or an associated group), you can bet it has an agenda.

http://www.clambake.org/

I'm telling you; Scientology is not promoted in the book. It's only mentioned once, and that's not even in the body of the content. It's at the beginning, crediting the church for the funding.

Scientology's value system isn't even promoted in the book; the Judeo Christian value system is.

80sU2isBest said:

I believed what this book said long before I ever even started reading it.

I have been very distrusting of Psychiatry for years and years.

And no, I am not a Scientologist.

What do you think of things like mental illness?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hello Everyone

80sU2isBest said:

I'm telling you; Scientology is not promoted in the book. It's only mentioned once, and that's not even in the body of the content. It's at the beginning, crediting the church for the funding.

Scientology's value system isn't even promoted in the book; the Judeo Christian value system is.

They don't have to be promoting the "religion" itself, the fact that the book was 1) commissioned by a group affiliated with Scientology; 2) written by someone who, reports say, is a Scientologist; and 3) continues to show hostility toward a valid field whose methods run contrary to a science fiction writer who devised his own "treatments" (and it pains me to even use that word in this context) for mental illness which are non-scientific in nature, based on nothing, dangerous, in some cases deadly, cost people a ton of money, and essentially lures them into the cult with the promise of better mental health.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scient...McPherson_and_the_.22Introspection_Rundown.22

Lisa McPherson and the "Introspection Rundown"
Main articles: Lisa McPherson and Introspection Rundown
Over the years, the Church of Scientology has been accused of culpability in the death of several of its members.

The most widely publicized such case involved the 1995 death of 36-year-old Lisa McPherson, while in the care of scientologists at the Scientology-owned Fort Harrison Hotel, in Clearwater, Florida. Having experienced symptoms usually associated with mental illness (such as removing all of her clothes at the scene of a minor traffic accident), the Church intervened to prevent McPherson from receiving psychiatric treatment, and to return her to the custody of the Church of Scientology. Records show that she was then placed in isolation as part of a Scientology program known as the Introspection Rundown. Days later, she was pronounced dead on arrival at a local hospital, exhibiting signs of severe dehydration.

Criminal charges were filed against the Church of Scientology by Florida authorities. The Church of Scientology denied any responsibility for McPherson's death and they vigorously contested the charges; the prosecuting attorneys ultimately dropped the criminal case. After four years, a $100 million civil lawsuit filed by Lisa McPherson's family was settled in 2004. The terms of the settlement were sealed by the court.

The suit resulted in an injunction against the distribution of a film critical of Scientology, The Profit, which the Church claimed was meant to influence the jury pool.

Seriously, no matter what your feelings about the field of psychiatry/psychology are, investigate Scientology before you accept the word of anyone associated with this cult at face value. It is their best interest to vilify the field. They're very well known for putting out bad research, funded by organizations they're associated with, as well as taking good research/articles and quoting out of context and generally just misrepresenting it. Check out the website I posted earlier in this thread, it's an excellent resource.

ETA - The fact that the book was written from a Judeo-Christian perspective is meaningless. Scientology claims to be a way of life that can be followed in conjunction with other religions. Their members come from all religions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom