heaven is hell - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2006, 10:41 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:53 AM
I think his answers are interesting. I'm going to come back later and give my thoughts.

Old 03-24-2006, 11:44 AM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AliEnvy
Personally I find The Serenity Prayer comes as close to a universal truth as we can currently get.

i totally understand that as a good answer to the whole Best Life Now -- but, if we are to deal with notions of the eternal, where does this get us beyond the day-to-day? and even after a while, doesn't the consistent maintenance of the day-to-day attitudes of acceptance and resiliance wear you down? isn't something like this prayer like soothing aloe on a sunburn -- makes it more bearable, but doesn't treat the problem, and the problem is what are we to do with out two choices: 1) from existence to non-existence, and how these might just be opposite sides of the same coin, and 2) if we are eternal, how do we deal with precisely that, eternity?

i know, i know ... pointness, ultimately, but i think there's some worth in trying to investigate the borders of human perception of the "big" questions, and i think what i'm expressing is that i really want an Answer, but what might that Answer be? and would it be a "good" Answer? and how do we deal with the Answer to the fundamental question(s) of human existence? is self-awareness a blessing or a curse?

Old 03-24-2006, 01:08 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:53 AM
I think of heaven as a state, not a place. I mean, if it's a place, wouldn't it have to be near some planet or galaxy or something? I just don't see it in any place. It doesn't make sense that it's in a place that supposedly isn't habitable by human beings. Could it be that the part that limits us in that way is the perishable part of our beings and it is indeed a place where we've gotten rid of that limitation, and therefore we can live there after all? Does this make sense?
Old 03-24-2006, 03:38 PM   #19
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

i totally understand that as a good answer to the whole Best Life Now -- but, if we are to deal with notions of the eternal, where does this get us beyond the day-to-day? and even after a while, doesn't the consistent maintenance of the day-to-day attitudes of acceptance and resiliance wear you down?
Hmm I guess I interpret the day-to-day philosophy more as steps forward to the eternal and an evolving learning process as opposed to maintenance. The further along you go, the more you discover and differentiate between what you must accept (surrender to His Will and let go of fear) and what you can change (i.e. learning from mistakes)...and then hopefully summon the courage and confidence to act accordingly and find peace with it. Because this journey is from the inside out and is so personal and individual, it makes it hard (for me anyway) to travel it in a conventional "church" framework where conformity to a prescribed common path is the norm.

Quote:
isn't something like this prayer like soothing aloe on a sunburn -- makes it more bearable, but doesn't treat the problem, and the problem is what are we to do with out two choices: 1) from existence to non-existence, and how these might just be opposite sides of the same coin, and 2) if we are eternal, how do we deal with precisely that, eternity?
For some people maybe this prayer simply makes the struggle bearable. For me it inspires me to enjoy my struggle as much as possible, constantly move forward in a quest for enlightenment, prioritze and reprioritize the things that are important to me and not sweat the small stuff (and the constant discovery of what encompasses the small stuff lol).

Answers to eternity...hmmm, I think the closer you are to REAL peace with yourself and the way you live your life the less you will view eternity as problematic and something to fear.

Quote:

i know, i know ... pointness, ultimately, but i think there's some worth in trying to investigate the borders of human perception of the "big" questions, and i think what i'm expressing is that i really want an Answer, but what might that Answer be? and would it be a "good" Answer? and how do we deal with the Answer to the fundamental question(s) of human existence? is self-awareness a blessing or a curse?
Oh I like pushing the boundaries myself cause for each of us, the Answer evolves with learning and experience.

But...if you were given 6 months to live, would you worry about finding the absolute Answer or focus your time-and -place-bound energy on the here and now accomplishments?
Old 03-24-2006, 03:42 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
But...iIf you were given 6 months to live, would you worry about finding the absolute Answer or focus your time-and -place-bound energy on the here and now accomplishments?

great post, but i'll just respond to this part.

if given 6 months to live, i think i'd probably fill my days on filling the here-and-now with as much joy as possible, but i don't see how i could be able to NOT dwell on the fear of what happens next/where do i go from here/what is going to happen to me, especially during quieter and more reflective moments. how could that not induce anxiety in someone?

i also wonder where we draw the line between acceptance, and submission, and ultimately we must submit to things larger than ourselves, is this not ultimately a defeat? have we not been set up from the beginning?
Old 03-24-2006, 04:05 PM   #21
Refugee

Quote:

but i don't see how i could be able to NOT dwell on the fear of what happens next/where do i go from here/what is going to happen to me, especially during quieter and more reflective moments. how could that not induce anxiety in someone?
Oh I imagine it's horribly fearful at first, and maybe for some who don't (or won't) make peace with themselves and God, it's fearful all the way to the end. I think being given a deadline so to speak just speeds up the process and allows you to focus only on what's important to you and how to prepare.

Quote:

i also wonder where we draw the line between acceptance, and submission, and ultimately we must submit to things larger than ourselves, is this not ultimately a defeat? have we not been set up from the beginning?
Excellent points. I think you draw the line between acceptance and submission at the point where you feel no nagging doubt (as in complete peace with the decision of acceptance). That way it's not defeat. If you submit to something larger than yourself and feel defeated, keep fighting.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:53 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:23 AM
Quote:

great post, but i'll just respond to this part.

if given 6 months to live, i think i'd probably fill my days on filling the here-and-now with as much joy as possible, but i don't see how i could be able to NOT dwell on the fear of what happens next/where do i go from here/what is going to happen to me, especially during quieter and more reflective moments. how could that not induce anxiety in someone?

I used to dwell on the big questions quite a bit when I was younger. I still do, and in many ways, I'm much more intrigued now with the possibilities than ever before. However, I've reached the point now where I'm in complete awe of existence, instead of overanalyzing it, or fearing it, like I once did.

Heaven? I think it's in our hearts, as corny as that sounds. I don't think it's a mysterious, cloudy place where they play Radiohead all day in the elevators (although that would be sweet). I believe we are vessels for something greater that's beyond our grasp and comprehension right now; maybe our bodies are just suits for our souls.

I'm not afraid of dying...my own death. The only concern I have about death is wondering about everyone I care about here on earth. It would be great to meet up with them again on the other side of the galaxy, in some form or another.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:53 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:53 PM
Wow Irvine this reminds me of the film "Afterlife" by Japanese director Koreeda. You might enjoy renting it out.

foray
Old 03-25-2006, 02:15 PM   #24
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:53 AM
Quote:
if we have existence, we must then have non-existence, so would we know non-existence if it were to occur?...does a consciousness ever creep into non-existence?
if we are eternal, how do we deal with precisely that, eternity?

...pointness, ultimately, but i think there's some worth in trying to investigate the borders of human perception of the "big" questions, and i think what i'm expressing is that i really want an Answer, but what might that Answer be?...is self-awareness a blessing or a curse?
It strikes me that these are three very good reasons to pursue your interest in Buddhist study and practice further. I know of no other religion that has the particular place you seem to be at mapped out more thoroughly.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 03-25-2006, 02:17 PM   #25
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:53 AM
Quote:
I think you draw the line between acceptance and submission at the point where you feel no nagging doubt (as in complete peace with the decision of acceptance). That way it's not defeat. If you submit to something larger than yourself and feel defeated, keep fighting.
beautifully said.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 03-26-2006, 07:50 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

It strikes me that these are three very good reasons to pursue your interest in Buddhist study and practice further. I know of no other religion that has the particular place you seem to be at mapped out more thoroughly.

i think i might do that.

got a bunch of Tich Naht Hahn books sitting on my shelf right now.

a formal course might be great as well.

thanks.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:08 PM   #27
War Child

I believe notions of an eternal afterlife -- immortality -- are really human desires to continue that one thing that we experience constantly, i.e. life. In fact, if people think about it, what we have right now is itself immortality. All we individual minds have ever known is life, to exist, and all we'll ever know and experience and perceive (at least for this athiest) is life. Isn't that immortality? The fact that we see others' death and what we infer from it (i.e. notion of non-immortality) can be a mere(!) psychological hurdle to overcome (ironically, most seem to want to overcome it by inventing an eternal afterlife).