Heated Confrontation? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2007, 07:48 PM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:05 AM
Yes, having a country of three hundred million individual minds you are very likely to offend someone by doing or saying something, especially if it is such a controversial and emotional topic as it is the Iraq war.

But you can't limit freedeom of speech so that everybody always feels fine about everything.
There are some restrictions, like hate speech, or like in Europe the denial of the Holocaust, which some claim even does more bad than good, recently broad up by one of the most important representatives of the Jews in Germany, but overall freedom of speech is one of the most important values gained by our society, and has to be protected.

So many people have died for it, and are still dying or suffering for it, and we don't do ourself any favour if we cut it only always someone disagrees with something.

You can't make everybody feel comfortable.
If they want their son's name removed, make an appointment, meet in a nice atmosphere and discuss it in a quiet temper.
Then a compromise could be reached.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:49 PM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by randhail

Just out of curiosity, why is it that there nothing wrong with saying "something is so gay," but using a person's name in a memorial is wrong?
The problem is here in the bay area this sign has been a huge controversy. Some parents of dead US soldiers did not want their childs name used for propoganda means.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:50 PM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega
Yes, having a country of three hundred million individual minds you are very likely to offend someone by doing or saying something, especially if it is such a controversial and emotional topic as it is the Iraq war.

But you can't limit freedeom of speech so that everybody always feels fine about everything.
There are some restrictions, like hate speech, or like in Europe the denial of the Holocaust, which some claim even does more bad than good, recently broad up by one of the most important representatives of the Jews in Germany, but overall freedom of speech is one of the most important values gained by our society, and has to be protected.

So many people have died for it, and are still dying or suffering for it, and we don't do ourself any favour if we cut it only always someone disagrees with something.

You can't make everybody feel comfortable.
If they want their son's name removed, make an appointment, meet in a nice atmosphere and discuss it in a quiet temper.
Then a compromise could be reached.
I know denying the holocaust can get you jail time in some european countries, do you think that is wrong?
Old 03-08-2007, 07:50 PM   #64
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
Do you really want to know what the problem is? People get offended by one word and then they want it banned or they person should not be allowed to speak and usually they gather a croud of supporters.

So freedom of speech should only be allowed when someone is offended by a word?
Old 03-08-2007, 07:51 PM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Good grief!

This is what I mean by you not really understanding the topic because it's patently obvious that there are limits on your freedom of speech (and expression) and those limits have been enforced.

Sometimes I think you start these threads and then just keep arguing for the sake of arguing rather than actually having some point for which you truly stand.
I have made my stance, but you don't seem to understand.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:57 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:05 PM
Not quite what I meant by balance. I meant how do you balance freedom of speech with the consequences it can have?

Someone could balance it out by a yearly memorial to murder victims if they wanted to. I'm still thinking on suicides. What would the statement be on suicides?
Old 03-08-2007, 07:57 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24

I know denying the holocaust can get you jail time in some european countries, do you think that is wrong?
I can try to gather the interview with the Jewish representative.
He made some very good points.

I'm not too sure what to think about it.
He said by not allowing them to openly admit that they don't believe the Holocaust happened there can't be any publicly argument showing the youth, which is especially vulnerable to the shit from the Nazis, how stupid those people are and how weak their points made.

Especially here in Germany this public discussion rarely takes place because either there are restrictions on what you are allwoed to say, or these people just get ignored. But by ignoring them they get out their wrong propaganda unchallenged.

To deny the Holocaust is outright stupid, and there are of course aguments for banning it, and arguments for allowing it.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:58 PM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

You can't prepare for what people say.

That people need help and you should know the signs of someone who is suicidal???
Old 03-08-2007, 07:59 PM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega

To deny the Holocaust is outright stupid.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:02 PM   #70
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

No, it's you who doesn't understand this topic, Justin. Your stance is incredibly inconsistent, and downright contradictory with the established law of freedom of speech. It's a basic right, and yet you seem to be perfectly ok to take it away because there's "controversy."

But do you? A few post back you said:
Quote:
Do you really want to know what the problem is? People get offended by one word and then they want it banned or they person should not be allowed to speak and usually they gather a croud of supporters.
The way that comes across is that you're complaining about those people who gather a crowd of supporters. Well tell me, how is your stance on this topic any different? Aren't you trying to gain support because you're offended that these people won't take the names off?

If you didn't contradict yourself so often, your stance might have a little more credibility.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:06 PM   #71
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen

If you didn't contradict yourself so often, your stance might have a little more credibility.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:08 PM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
No, it's you who doesn't understand this topic, Justin. Your stance is incredibly inconsistent, and downright contradictory with the established law of freedom of speech. It's a basic right, and yet you seem to be perfectly ok to take it away because there's "controversy."

The way that comes across is that you're complaining about those people who gather a crowd of supporters. Well tell me, how is your stance on this topic any different? Aren't you trying to gain support because you're offended that these people won't take the names off?

Yes or No do you think there should be limits?
Old 03-08-2007, 08:10 PM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

Umm but by having them ban a word, would mean freedom of speech is being taken away?
Old 03-08-2007, 08:10 PM   #74
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Why? Why do you want limits? In this instance?
Old 03-08-2007, 08:11 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Why? Why do you want limits? In this instance?
I don't want limits I just want those people who put up the memorial to respect the parents wishes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!