headscarf madness - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2004, 11:08 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:28 PM
headscarf madness

Some of you know that I participate in a medieval re-enactment group. We get together on weekends and pretend like we're medieval characters. Some of us are interested in Middle Eastern cultures, and wear headscarves, the way women did in Middle Eastern countries during our period of study. This has nothing to do with modern politics. Alot of these people are in the military, and served in Iraq. Unfortunately people who don't know what we're doing have harassed some of the women wearing headscarves. No one can stop idiots from getting drunk on a Saturday night and going after someone who is simply playing a game. But it's scary how far the madness over Islamic religious clothing is getting. These women are not even Moslems in real life---but what if they were? Does that make them terrorists? No. Now I have a Middle Eastern costume for an event some friends of mine are doing in two weeks. I'd better not get harassed. I will be pissed if I do.

Old 02-02-2004, 11:46 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:28 AM
Your re-enactments may be prohibited under the Patriot Act...

Old 02-02-2004, 12:33 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Your re-enactments may be prohibited under the Patriot Act...
It's crazy........the local group has two people serving in Iraq right now. Someone else came home just in time for the birth of his child last summer. His wife wears headscarves. European women used to cover their heads. All of this madness over a piece of fabric? Maybe the Department of Homeland Security should hire some psychiatrists.
Old 02-02-2004, 03:13 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

I think that just gives you an insight into the way Muslim women are often treated. I know several women from my university who were harrasssed because they were wearing a headscarf: one was confronted by two men shouting obscenities at her, another had her headscarf pulled off while she was walking in the city centre and I can't even count how many stories I've heard of women being called terrorists because they choose to wear a headscarf.
Old 02-02-2004, 03:55 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:28 AM
Argh, that's awful, verte and FizzingWhizzbees! I hate this, I can't believe people are actually acting this way.

I wonder how those who do the harassing would feel if the tables were turned?

Angela
Old 02-02-2004, 04:54 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees
I think that just gives you an insight into the way Muslim women are often treated. I know several women from my university who were harrasssed because they were wearing a headscarf: one was confronted by two men shouting obscenities at her, another had her headscarf pulled off while she was walking in the city centre and I can't even count how many stories I've heard of women being called terrorists because they choose to wear a headscarf.
Damn. This madness is going on all over.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:38 PM   #7

Local Time: 11:28 AM
It's just like the poor Japanese here in America after WWII. Someday we'll look back on how we treated muslims and think to ourselves "how did we let this happen in America?"
Old 02-02-2004, 07:59 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2andPolitix
It's just like the poor Japanese here in America after WWII. Someday we'll look back on how we treated muslims and think to ourselves "how did we let this happen in America?"
Absolutely. These women are just trying to be modest. This is a disgraceful violation of human rights.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:18 PM   #9
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:28 PM

Be safe, Verte!! Take care and here's another to those mindless idiots.

sd
Old 02-03-2004, 10:26 PM   #10
War Child

Local Time: 05:28 PM
Some people will never learn. The fact that governments and so on have let it become a political issue - i.e not done anything to educate people about the Islamic culture - is something I'm not very pleased with.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:46 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ~*Buffalo*~
Some people will never learn. The fact that governments and so on have let it become a political issue - i.e not done anything to educate people about the Islamic culture - is something I'm not very pleased with.
That's so true. Much of the American public is shamefully ignorant on Islamic culture. For example, they don't have any idea that only 18% of the Islamic population lives in the Middle East, and also, for the record, that about half the Arabic population of the U.S. is actually Christian and not Moslem. Most of these Christian Arabs are Eastern Rite Catholic (I am Western, or Roman Rite, Catholic). It's a global era, and unless we get educated about this *globe* we live on we are in trouble. I am going to be writing the politicians about my ideas about educating our kids to be global citizens. I'm not saying anyone has to compromise anything in the way of beliefs, values, traditions, or whatever. But we've all got to work together or we'll clash--a disaster.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:38 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
That's so true. Much of the American public is shamefully ignorant on Islamic culture. For example, they don't have any idea that only 18% of the Islamic population lives in the Middle East, and also, for the record, that about half the Arabic population of the U.S. is actually Christian and not Moslem. Most of these Christian Arabs are Eastern Rite Catholic (I am Western, or Roman Rite, Catholic). It's a global era, and unless we get educated about this *globe* we live on we are in trouble. I am going to be writing the politicians about my ideas about educating our kids to be global citizens. I'm not saying anyone has to compromise anything in the way of beliefs, values, traditions, or whatever. But we've all got to work together or we'll clash--a disaster.
Exactly. That's the way our government can win the war on terror.

Angela
Old 02-04-2004, 04:15 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
That's so true. Much of the American public is shamefully ignorant on Islamic culture. For example, they don't have any idea that only 18% of the Islamic population lives in the Middle East, and also, for the record, that about half the Arabic population of the U.S. is actually Christian and not Moslem.
It's exactly the same here in the UK. I remember numerous people describing my university's Islamic society as the "Arabic society" or talking about "the arabs in the Islamic society." Apparently they hadn't figured out that the majority of Muslims at this university were from countries such as Pakistan and Indonesia, with comparatively few from the Middle East.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:12 AM   #14
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:28 PM
Eh, they all look alike.

sd
Old 02-04-2004, 10:36 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

Exactly. That's the way our government can win the war on terror.

Angela
Yes. I think about 90% of the war on terrorism is really war on ignorance. Most Moslems in the Middle East and elsewhere around the globe want peace. Only the terrorist nutcase minority wants a "holy war". Jihad is an Arabic word which means a personal struggle against sin, and only a very few use it as an excuse for violence.