He continues to soar..and go higher I supposed after he meets up w Bono again.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diamond

ONE love, blood, life
Bush shows highest ratings in a year
By Jill Lawrence, USA TODAY
WASHINGTON — Americans gave President Bush his highest approval rating in more than a year and showed cautious optimism about Iraq in a USA TODAY/CNN/Gallup Poll taken days after historic elections in Iraq.

According to the poll, health care costs, education and the economy were the top three items considered 'extremely important' for Americans.
By Ron Edmonds, AP

In reversals from a month ago, majorities said that going to war in Iraq was not a mistake, that things are going well there and that it's likely democracy will be established in Iraq.

Bush's approval rating of 57% was his highest since he reached 59% in January 2004. Strategists from both parties attributed the rise to timing.

The public remains skeptical about Bush's plans to partially privatize Social Security, however. Only 44% said they approved of his approach, compared with 50% who said they disapproved.

And Bush's domestic agenda continues to diverge from the priorities cited in the poll. Health care costs, education and the economy were the top three items considered "extremely important" for Bush and Congress to deal with. The last four — Social Security, taxes, same-sex marriage and limits on lawsuits — all are on Bush's front burner.

The poll of 1,010 adults was conducted Friday-Sunday — after the Jan. 30 elections in Iraq and Bush's State of the Union address Wednesday highlighting the vote. The poll's margin of error was +/—3 percentage points.

"Nothing breeds success like success," said Matthew Dowd, a Bush strategist. People now feel the decisions Bush made "were the right ones," he said, and that translates into a general increase of trust in his leadership.

Geoffrey Garin, a Democratic pollster and strategist, said Bush's high numbers are a temporary function of "a positive news event" (the Iraqi elections) and a well-received State of the Union address. He predicted they would be superseded in coming weeks by "Social Security privatization and a budget proposal that is deficit-laden, even with huge cuts in domestic programs."

The Iraq numbers were striking in their consistency. Six in 10 people said the elections there went better than they expected. In other measures:

• 55% said the United States did not make a mistake sending troops to Iraq, up from 47% last month.

• 53% said things are going very or moderately well in Iraq, compared with 40% last month.

• 64% said it is very or somewhat likely a democratic form of government will be established in Iraq, up from 47% last month.

• 10% said more U.S. troops are needed in Iraq, down from 24% who said that before the elections.

• 50% said they approved of how Bush is handling Iraq, up from 42% last month; 48% said they disapproved, down from 56% last month.

Dowd said Bush is at the high end of his approval range, given "how polarized the country is." But he said the elevation should last longer than the usual blip, because "people see President Bush's presidency as so linked to Iraq."

The poll suggests a positive environment for Bush's party. Republicans received a 56% favorable rating, compared with 46% for Democrats — a 10-point advantage, up from 6 points in September. And 55% said Bush's policies would move the country in the right direction — up from 51% last month.

Garin called it "a difficult time for Democrats to get their message across." He said that would get easier as domestic issues move to center stage.

"We're likely to see a more even balance" between the parties when the debate turns to Social Security and the budget, he said.
bush-poll.jpg

[Random Macfistowannabe reply]The poll of 1,010 adults was conducted Friday-Sunday — after the Jan. 30 elections in Iraq and Bush's State of the Union address Wednesday highlighting the vote. The poll's margin of error was +/—3 percentage points.[/Random Macfistowannabe reply]

Most of the respondents were drunk due to the Super Bowl, thus the poll is invalid

Even if it wasn't SuperBowl weekend, they were getting an early start

Last edited:
In my opinion, neither his Social Security plan nor his budget are going to help him gain (or maintain) altitude. What happens in Iraq remains to be seen. Sorry if I stepped on your toes, Diamond. I didn't realize this thread for reserved only for positive comments.

:wink:

GW is one of the most misunderstood leaders living in the present but will go down in history as a shining star of the new milenium.

Gina youre beautiful:)

db9

If he could speak proper english, maybe he would have less trouble being misunderstood.:wink:

Well, maybe this might dispel a bit of the current fluff going around FYM about how "close" Bono and Bush are:

Bono's Reaction to Pres. Bush 2006 Budget Request

REACTION FROM BONO, U2 LEAD SINGER AND FOUNDER OF DATA:

"Good intention at the highest levels of the Bush Administration was not enough to deliver on the Millennium Challenge promise to the world’s poorest people in this year’s budget request. To make 2005 the year of a global breakthrough in the fight against poverty, we need the tens of millions of Americans who care -- who go to every church and rock concert -- to raise the volume before President Bush leaves for the G8's Africa summit in July."

REACTION BY JAMIE DRUMMOND, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF DATA:

“Not only has President Bush broken his word on funding for the Millennium Challenge, he has not put in the effort required to turn this excellent idea into a lifesaving reality for the world’s poorest people in the three years since it was announced. The pressure is now on for the President to demonstrate a serious commitment to helping the world’s poorest at the international Africa summit in July.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Doesn't seem liking a rousing round of support for Bush to me from Bono and his cohorts.

I NEED SOMETHING OTHER.....:yes:

People are fickle.

Nothing like a complete takeover of the media for a few days to get these kind of results.If the sun seems to be shining, people will believe the sun is shining.

Events on the ground will make this honeymoon fade fast.

najeena said:
Bush's policies have been breathtakingly irresponsible, and history will judge him accordingly.

The American people have already made that judgement, and they re-elected him!

I like the way that there was no comment from our original poster regarding Bono and DATA's latest appraisal of Mr. Bush.

Maybe because Bono's own words would be refuting the contentions made by the original post?

PLEASE LET BONO SPEAK FOR HIMSELF! ( I do) :yes:

Jamila-
Don't worry.

Bono and GW will work together and will accomplish important items the next few yrs, and then I ask you will you say good things about GW?:sexywink:

Have you every said anything good about GW?:)
Bono has.

thx,
db9

Last edited:
diamond said:
Jamila-
Don't worry.

Bono and GW will work together and will accomplish important items the next few yrs, and then I ask you will you say good things about GW?:sexywink:

Have you every said anything good about GW?:)
Bono has.

thx,
db9
I have one good thing to say about Bush. Did he say he will stop his effort to stop Gay marriage by chancing the constitution?

that would be his first broken promise to his right wing christian voters :up:

MrsSpringsteen said:
Most of the respondents were drunk due to the Super Bowl, thus the poll is invalid

Even if it wasn't SuperBowl weekend, they were getting an early start

:lmao: I almost spit out my lunch laughing!

Thanks, I needed it. :)

Wednesday :: Feb 9, 2005
Yesterday's Gallup Poll Showing Bush Approval At 57% Had 9% More Republicans Than Democrats

The more things change, the more things stay the same. And Gallup is showing us that a leopard doesn’t change its spots.

On the heels of the Iraqi election, and with the White House needing a boost in Bush’s image and approval ratings as he tries to ram through a terrible budget and Social Security privatization plan to a wavering GOP, much was made yesterday about the most recent CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll done over the weekend. This poll, bull-horned through the media and rightwing blogosphere, showed an incredible jump in Bush’s approval rating to 57%, a five-point jump from the polls done in early January. Yet even those earlier January polls it turned out were suspect because, you guessed it, they were based on a sample that had more Republicans in it than Democrats (37.2% GOP, 35.6% Democrat, and 27% Independent).

So is this recent poll, showing Bush with a growing and mandate-building approval rating of 57% a clear sign of emerging Bush strength?

Hardly. The poll trumpeted far and wide yesterday by CNN, USAT, and the right wing blogosphere was based on a sample constructed by Gallup that contained 37% Republicans, 35% Independents, and only 28% Democrats.

You read that correctly.

CNN/USA Today/Gallup Poll
February 4-6, 2005
Bush Approval/Disapproval 57%-40%

Republicans: 378 (37%)
Independents: 353 (35%)
Democrats: 279 (28%)

Last edited:
well just because the democrats refused to pick up their phones (for the polling) being all depressed after the bitch-slap they got in the last election, shouldn't make them have sour grapes.

thank u
db9

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom