Haven't had a Wal Mart thread in awhile... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2007, 12:10 PM   #1
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:59 AM
Haven't had a Wal Mart thread in awhile...

The lawsuit, filed by six female employees, alleges the Bentonville, Ark., retailer systematically paid women with similar qualifications less than men and frequently overlooked women for promotions.

A lawsuit against America's largest employer is serving as a reminder that concerns about gender discrimination persist despite four decades of focus on equal workplace rights.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com....aspx?GT1=9114

Old 02-09-2007, 01:52 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:59 AM
Wow, now that's a shocker. Pathetic.

Of course like the article says it's not just WalMart. But women aren't discriminated against anymore, right?

Old 02-09-2007, 03:00 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:59 PM
WalMart.

Need.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:47 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:59 PM
Why does this not surprise me? Who, Walmart, practicing discrimination?
Old 02-09-2007, 06:05 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:59 AM
walmart is of the devil.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:12 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:59 PM
from http://www.coolfer.com/blog/archives...mortor_retail/

The Eagles' Don Henley spoke to The Los Angeles Times' Geoff Boucher about many topics, one being its exclusive retail deal with Wal-Mart and the band's upcoming album.

""A lot of the people who have criticized us are obviously unaware of what Wal-Mart is doing in overhauling their operation," he said, rattling off the company's well-publicized initiatives to open eco-friendly "green stores," reduce packaging and use its market share to pressure vendors into pursuing environmentally conscious approaches.

And there's the fact that the Wal-Mart deal offered a promising escape route for Henley and his band mates; they have no traditional record label deal, and, after watching the file-sharing websites rise to power, they were open to any path to keep their connection with fans.

"This is the world we live in," Henley said. Then, with a chuckle, he added: 'In the big picture, they can't be any more evil than a major record label.' ...

Wal-Mart is happy with the deal, at least so far; David Porter, Wal-Mart's vice president of home entertainment, gushed back in October that the retailer was 'very pleased to be able to bring our customers an alliance with America's greatest rock icons.'

Still, in the bargain Wal-Mart gets a cranky star promising to keep an eye on the promises made ('I will be watchful.') and to make a stink if they don't come through ('You can always get a divorce.')

The album that Wal-Mart will be getting won't be the predictably neutral material it always got from its other corporate troubadour, Garth Brooks. Henley said the lyrics are laced with dark humor and war protest."
Old 02-10-2007, 09:33 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

while i'm all about some wal-mart bashing, i just wanna add something positive (sorta) to the thread. in an article i read last semester "The Within-Job Gender Wage Gap" by Trond Petersen and Laurie A. Morgan, they did a study that discovered that within-job wage discrimination occurred less, because the Equal Pay Act of 1963 was keeping that in line (obviously to a certain extent.) Keep in mind, that walmart is just one corporation. This is more of a national study. Anyway, they discovered that wage differences between the sexes were generated moreso by occupation-establishment than within-job wage discrimination.

It found that certain positions were being reserved for certain sexes. And that jobs primarily occupied by women paid less than the jobs occupied by men.

so...yeah. wal-mart sucks, we all know, for many reasons. but i just wanted to point out that it is in no way a microcosm of the rest of the workforce in the united states. there is still discrimination, but it is because of how the occupations are being allocated, which, is due to traditional conservative gender roles.

I'd include a link to the article, but it is through jstor. Do a search for the title and authors and that should do it. However, this article is from 1995. I haven't read a follow-up article to this one, but if anyone here knows of one, please share!
Old 02-10-2007, 11:39 AM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 06:59 AM
I don't doubt for one second that walmart, being the evil bastards they are, are guilty of this. However the fact that there's a lawsuit proves nothing. Companies will settle rather than fight as it's often more cost-effective to do so.

Anyone thinking that because there's a lawsuit it must be true isn't too bright. The legal profession is only slightly behind walmart in the evil bastard category
Old 02-10-2007, 12:14 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:59 PM
In Germany and the USA (and most probably in the other countries as well) the salary/wage for women is about 60 to 80 per cent of that men are earning.
The glass ceiling is a very big problem as well.
Wal Mart now is a case where they finally try to do something, and they also announced that this will just be the warning for other companies to change their policy on wages and promotions.

I also have to think about this oil company in Alaska that wouldn't promote the one female employee, that was just brilliant in her job.
After some years watching how her male colleagues got promoted even though she presented the better results, she decided to open her own business.
Just a few years later her company has grown so much so that she overtook the other company. Her first action was to change the management of that company.

That story was one example of succesful women who had to fight for their career in the Business Spotlight.

I'm not a supporter of this anti-discrimination rules that state that when a man and a woman are applying for the same job/position, and both are equally skilled, the woman has to get the job, but something certainly has to be done.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:15 AM   #10
War Child

Well I guess there's another place I don't want to work
Old 06-21-2007, 09:09 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Wal-Mart told to pay $2m to fired pharmacist

By Keith Reed, Boston Globe Staff | June 21, 2007

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. must pay $2 million in damages to a former pharmacist who said she was fired from its Pittsfield store after complaining that she was being paid less than her male counterparts.

A Berkshire County Superior Court jury on Tuesday awarded Cynthia Haddad $1 million in punitive damages, more than $800,000 in compensatory damages, and $125,000 for emotional distress. Barring an appeal from Wal-Mart, the verdict ends a three-year battle between Haddad and the nation's largest retailer.

"The message in our case is you can't take a professional pharmacist and fire her for reasons that aren't enforced for male pharmacists. Their reasons were just laughable," said Richard E. Fradette , one of Haddad's lawyers.

John Simley , a Wal-Mart spokesman, said the company is reviewing the verdict and hasn't decided whether to appeal. He added that the company has an anti discrimination policy and encourages women to take leadership roles.

The Haddad verdict comes as Wal-Mart is defending itself against a sex discrimination class action that could have much larger implications for the company. That suit, filed in 2001 , includes nearly all women who worked for Wal-Mart after December 1998 , as many as 2 million , according to estimates by the plaintiffs' attorneys.

"It's very similar and probably draws upon the same practices that we're talking about in our case," said Joseph Sellers , an lawyer with Cohen, Milstein, Hausfeld & Toll in Washington, D.C., and co-lead counsel in the class action .

Wal-Mart is appealing a February 2-to-1 ruling by the US Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco that allows the lawsuit to keep its class action status.

While both cases involve women's claims of gender discrimination against Wal-Mart employees, Simley said "they're two completely different cases with different circumstances."

At the heart of the Haddad case was her allegation that her 2004 dismissal was retaliation for complaining about her pay. She was a Wal-Mart pharmacist from 1993 until she was fired.

In 2003 , she accepted a temporary job managing the Pittsfield store's pharmacy, a position that was supposed to come with a bonus and an hourly pay raise of $1 . But after nine months, she had received neither, her lawsuit claimed. After complaining to her supervisors, Haddad eventually received a check for nine weeks' worth of bonuses, but none of the manager's differential, her suit alleged.

After several more months of complaining about her pay, she was given another bonus check in April 2004 , the suit said. Five days later, she was fired for allegedly violating Wal-Mart policy by leaving a technician in the pharmacy without supervision.

But Fradette, her attorney, said that incident occurred in 2002 , 18 months before she was fired and after Haddad had witnessed and reported misconduct by male pharmacists to Wal-Mart.

Lawyers who specialize in workplace discrimination said there were some similarities between the Haddad case and the national class action , but they also noted important distinctions.

"The difference is that this case involved retaliation," said Paul Holtzman , a partner Krokidas & Bluestein in Boston and co chairman of the Boston Bar Association's labor and employment section.

"The largest verdicts and the most exposure for companies often comes in retaliation cases where the managers act out of anger against an employee for asserting their rights."
Old 06-21-2007, 12:23 PM   #12
War Child

Have you seen the new commercial where some activist group is trying to get you to boycott them for buying more and more Chinese made stuff and less and less American? They said Sam would be ashamed, and they had pics of a Communist Chinese Military review, saying WalMart was in cohoots with them.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:40 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Wal-Mart Warns of Democratic Win - WSJ.com

The Wal-Mart human-resources managers who run the meetings don't specifically tell attendees how to vote in November's election, but make it clear that voting for Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Barack Obama would be tantamount to inviting unions in, according to Wal-Mart employees who attended gatherings in Maryland, Missouri and other states.

"The meeting leader said, 'I am not telling you how to vote, but if the Democrats win, this bill will pass and you won't have a vote on whether you want a union,'" said a Wal-Mart customer-service supervisor from Missouri. "I am not a stupid person. They were telling me how to vote," she said.

"If anyone representing Wal-Mart gave the impression we were telling associates how to vote, they were wrong and acting without approval," said David Tovar, Wal-Mart spokesman. Mr. Tovar acknowledged that the meetings were taking place for store managers and supervisors nationwide.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:41 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

The best part about living in Manhattan is that there is no Walmart anywhere to be seen.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:02 AM   #15
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
The best part about living in Manhattan is that there is no Walmart anywhere to be seen.
I'd love to live in a world like that.