Have you ever gone on a religious pilgrimage? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2005, 12:02 AM   #1
She's the One

Local Time: 03:02 PM
Have you ever gone on a religious pilgrimage?

Seriously. Have you ever traveled to a place that holds spiritual and/or religious significance for you? Would you like to tell me about it?

And if anyone decides to post a bunch of horseshit about how religious pilgrimages are lame because there is no God, you will get one of these : and a kick in the pants.

Old 12-30-2005, 12:14 AM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 12:02 AM
you may think i'm joking, but i'm not.

i have travelled to see u2 live 24 times. it's had the effect you are talking about, on me

Old 12-30-2005, 12:32 AM   #3
She's the One

I understand. I really do.

I was looking for more traditionally religious themed pilgrimages here, however.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:34 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:02 PM
I've actually always wanted to go to one particular place, just never got around to it.

But I have been away on religious retreats for a few days, on two or three separate occasions. I really enjoyed one of them. It was a Catholic retreat at something akin to a monastery in the wilderness. During the day we did a lot of group activities, indoors and outdoors, and it was a great spiritual experience. Working in a small group outside in snow up to your butt, and you get a real appreciation for the people you are with, their backgrounds and what they have to contribute to your little group which if you extrapolate to the world is important on a small scale as well. We did have small single rooms at night and I very much liked that. Another time I went to a place that had more of a dorm-like setting which resulted in basically somewhat of a party at 2 am, kind of defeated the purpose.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:02 AM   #5
War Child

I bet there is atleast one Muslim on board who has pilgrimmed to Mecca
Old 12-30-2005, 02:03 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:02 AM
Not yet.

I met a great girl from Spain on the ship to Ometepe, and she was from Santiago de Compostela and she and her brother told me to visit. She worked in the north of Nicaragua, a shame I lost her address.

This year I still have to make a small pilgrimage to a little town called "Holy Cross" to thank for my exams. Some people are crazy, walking for days and days, but I would maybe do it. At an interesting place.

Reminds me of Tibet, lotsa pilgrimage there.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:31 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

I went to Knock Shrine in Ireland-not specifically for that purpose but I was in Ireland already.

It was beautiful. I found it very peaceful there, the church there is gorgeous. I didn't much care for the tacky souvenir shops(but I assume some of that money goes back into the shrine and the local economy) and the fact that people were drinking the Holy Water there out of spigots. That's just what they do there.

http://www.knock-shrine.ie/

"The Story of Knock began on the 21st August 1879 when Our Lady, St. Joseph and St. John the Evangelist appeared at the south gable of Knock Parish Church. The apparition was witnessed by fifteen people, young and old. From this miraculous occurrence Knock has grown to the status of an internationally recognised Marian Shrine.

The personal pilgrimage of Pope John Paul II in 1979, commemorating the centenary of the apparition, inspired an even greater devotion to the Shrine and endorsed the indelible seal of Vatican approval. Mother Teresa of Calcutta visited the Shrine in June of 1993. One and a half million pilgrims visit the Shrine annually. "
Old 12-30-2005, 10:25 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

I've wanted to visit the Holy Lands, but have resisted the idea because I don't want to worship the place, but worship God.

I have engaged in periods of fasting with the express intent of shutting off the fleshly desires and focus on prayer and worship of God.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:12 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I've wanted to visit the Holy Lands, but have resisted the idea because I don't want to worship the place, but worship God.

I have engaged in periods of fasting with the express intent of shutting off the fleshly desires and focus on prayer and worship of God.
Maybe you and I can take a field trip someday. I too have wanted to go there.

Great thread idea Martha.

For me, I would have to say that anytime I go into the mountains, and away from civilization, it feels like a pilgrimage to me. When I was younger I would take my clarinet or saxaphone out and play a piece. I felt closest to God at that time.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:27 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:02 AM
To talk about what feels like a pilgrimage, I can relate to Dread´s post. I have found the holy spirit to be ever-present in nature and in music as well.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:28 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:02 PM
In June of 2000, I went to Baltimore to visit the Shrine of St. Jude, my patron saint. My sister, who's not Catholic, met me in Baltimore and we went to the Shrine together. I spent about an hour and a half in prayer. My sister is normally not the praying type, but she was moved and knelt beside me in the little chapel. We had time for a secular activity after that and visited the house of Edgar Allan Poe, which was fascinating and sort of a secular pilgrimage itself if that makes any sense.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:37 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Why would you assume that you'd worship the place?

I didn't find that to be the case at all. In fact, while the place may be inspirational to people, it's more often the common bond of going there with somebody you love, or meeting there with people who share a common experience which allows you to worship God than the place itself.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:37 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

Maybe you and I can take a field trip someday. I too have wanted to go there.

I'd like that
Old 12-30-2005, 11:42 AM   #14
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:02 PM
Well, there was the pint I had at Docker's and my trip to the Stone Pony in Asbury Park.

Seriously, yes, I have. Back in high school, Pope JP II visited Denver for World Youth Day and I went with a youth group I was involved in at the time. A great experience.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:50 AM   #15
The Fly

Although I was an Atheist then and still am, I did go on a 30 day tour of the "Holy Land" about 6 years ago. Tour included Israel, Jordan and Egypt. It was a great time and Jordan was definitely the highlight of the trip for me.