Have you changed since 9/11? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 08-10-2005, 06:23 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Irvine511

while it's not quite the same, my brithday is september 13th. i think i totally forgot about it in 2001, though now the two events are linked.
and it's not just on my birthday either. Anytime I have to give my birthday for any service over the phone or here at school, I think about it....

Old 08-10-2005, 06:27 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 12:43 AM
I don't feel like I changed personally after 9/11.

Old 08-10-2005, 06:45 AM   #18
love, blood, life
Local Time: 01:43 AM
It certainly made me more interested in politics and current affairs. This would have been the main change. It did not make me afraid to take aeroplanes or anything like that.

My birthday is September 12 funnily enough.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:58 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 06:43 PM
Yes, but not because of 9/11 exactly. It just so happened that my best friend of 20 years died suddenly about a month after that so the two are forever linked in my mind. That was my personal 9/11.

I suppose there are other ways I've changed but that's what comes to mind first.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:21 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 05:43 PM
only thing i can think of is that i was such a tv junkie before 9/11 happened. then when the news were filming people jumping from the towers, i stopped watching tv on a regular basis.

and i am more defensive of, and attached to my country.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:43 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:43 PM
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
If people are going to despise me simply because I'm American w/ out even knowing me, well that's their problem. That doesn't speak very well about them in my humble opinion. I judge people as individuals, not based upon their nationality.

Also, you more cynical of humanity? Funny, your posts in FYM and all that tended to make me think otherwise, 'cause you're always trying to find happier stories to talk about and stuff .

to all those whose birthdays are forever linked with that day. My birthday's October 6th, which isn't even a full month after that day, but it's far enough away that I can still keep the two things separate.

And to LivLuv and all the others who volunteered around that time. See, that's another thing-people talk all the time about being proud of their country and stuff, but I could put a flag on my front door and that alone wouldn't show my pride.

No, when I saw images of people helping carry others out of the rubble of the buildings, when I heard stories of people holding others' places in the lines where people stood to find missing loved ones so that someone could sit and rest for a few minutes after having been on their feet for so long (or, in some cases, random people would help someone look for a missing loved one), when I heard stories of donations and people risking their own lives to save others, be it on the planes or in the buildings while the event was happening, or afterwards when there were areas that were still dangerous to tread into, and things along that line...those were the kinds of stories that made me proud to live here, made me proud to be American. Nobody was judging anyone else by their race or religion or political affiliation or sexual orientation or gender or whatever else. Everyone was just working together to get through a hellish event, everyone, for a time, really seemed to give a damn about each other and cared about each other. Why that kind of thing isn't more common in the news and in the world, I don't understand. Why does it seem it only takes a tragedy for that kind of thing to happen? Why can't people be like that all the time? People say it's not possible, it can't happen-I dunno, seemed pretty easy then. How hard is it to smile at someone and say a kind word to them?

One other thing that will stick with me regarding 9/11, something I've mentioned on occasion before-the pictures from my New York City trip will never be the same to me. We went to that city in April of 2001. And by September of that very same year, that city was forever changed. It was the weirdest feeling ever when I saw the towers falling on the news that day. I look at those photos now...those towers stuck out like sore thumbs, you couldn't escape them, they were in practically every outdoor picture I had. It's really eerie to look at them now. But at the same time, I'm glad I got to have those captured, it's a nice trip back to a happier time, and something for future generations to see, too.

Old 08-10-2005, 12:56 PM   #22
The Flower
Local Time: 04:43 PM
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
I'm not sure if any of my core values and religious or political opinions have changed, but since Sept 11 is my birthday, it's really hard not to think about.

Same here (my birthday is also 9/11)

For a while, I dreaded giving anyone my date of birth because I either got a look of pity or someone would say "I"m so sorry" or "that must be weird"

And it just feels strange to want to celebrate on a day like 9/11, especially the first 2 years afterward, so I guess my birthday will forever be changed in that regard.