Hate!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Are we all born with Hate in us? Is it hidden and only opened when we want it to be part of our lives? Have you or do you still hate anyone, anything?

Do I hate? I'd lie to you if I said no. I think hate is born out of a feeling of powerlessness, real or perceived injustice over which you feel you have no control. I think hate is personal. I'm not sure you can hate an abstract, but I think you can fear an abstract which may feel like hate.

I don't know that hate is inborn. The capacity for it probably is but I do not know whether everyone has the capacity to hate or not. Nor do I know whether everyone has the capacity to love.

Interesting question.

MrPryck2U said:
We're not born to hate. We are taught to hate.

Agreed.

I think people can be born with such severe psychological disorders that they have no conscience (some serial killers), but even then it's not that they hate, they just don't care.

Like BonosSaint said, the capacity to hate is there, but it takes socialization to go from the potential to hate to actually hating.

To me, hate is feeling so strongly against someone you'd kill them yourself if you got the chance. I can't think of anyone alive at the moment I could kill and feel good about it. Generally, when I start to learn things about people that might lead me to hate them, I just get angry, then bitter, then apathetic. I'd rather not care about them one way or the other. I'm not excusing that either because apathy is as dangerous as hate.

BonosSaint said:
How are we defining hate here?

here's one

Hatred is an emotion of intense revulsion, distaste, enmity, or antipathy for a person, thing, or phenomenon, generally attributed to a desire to avoid, restrict, remove, or destroy the hated object. It can be based on fear of an object or past negative consequences of dealing with that object.

Is it wrong to hate someone, for something they may have done to you or your family?

Depends on your value system, I guess. I'm not the forgiving sort if you've maliciously or callously hurt somebody I love. You got a better shot at it if you hurt me.

Doesn't mean I'll necessarily exact revenge.

It sounds like you have a specific event/ person in mind.

What is wrong is to have the quality of your life diminished by being consumed by hate.

It is not productive.

Don't let it consume you.

Justin24 said:
Is it wrong to hate someone, for something they may have done to you or your family?

so are you seeking advice here then?
i don't know the circumstances of the situation, but i think a good examine of conscience is in order. you gotta look into your heart.

hating someone for what they've done isn't going to alleviate the situation, nor make it undone. perhaps you need closure, or some sort of confrontation with that person? there are definitely ways of voicing your feelings without saying something hateful or resorting to violence.

i think it takes more effort to hate someone than it does to talk to them about it and bring closure and forgiveness.

No, no one in mind, but there are times when I will tell someone or my brother:)( ) I hate them and have said pretty mean things after.

Are you talking actual hate here? Or momentary hate? Or ambiguity? When you thought about it later, did you mean it?
Cause we all (well, I'm assuming) say stuff we don't mean.

some times momentary and sometimes permanantly but the permanantly is for other things.

Yes hate can be tought but it's also part of us no matter what we say.

OK, I'm clear now. I don't see how anybody escapes the momentary thing.

I don't know why I have so much hate when I have a family who loves.

Justin24 said:
Yes hate can be tought but it's also part of us no matter what we say.

How can you say this? Seriously this is one of the most misguided views I've ever seen.

Are you just trying avoid all personal responsibility?

No, I am not. It's part of our instinct to hate or to say you hate sometimes, but you may not mean it.

I think that it can be safely said on the basis of human interactions; it is one of the most common emotions.

A_Wanderer said:
I think that it can be safely said on the basis of human interactions; it is one of the most common emotions.

True, so I don't know why people deny it.

I'm not of the belief that hate is always learned, although it can be.

Sometimes hate is the consequence of loving strongly, feeling a strong sense of empathy, wanting to protect and not being able to. And sometimes hate is a consequence of needing protection you are being denied.

Justin24 said:
No, I am not. It's part of our instinct to hate or to say you hate sometimes, but you may not mean it.

That is such crap!!!

In fact, the majority of experts will tell you humans don't have true instincts. But if we did, hate wouldn't be one of them.

But now some of your threads are making sense.:|

Back
Top Bottom