Hate!!! - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2007, 10:21 AM   #76
War Child

Local Time: 05:00 PM
I believe some are more prone to anger than others but I do believe hate is acquired by each individual in their own ways for their own reasons, good or bad.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:31 AM   #77
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
We are animals with the capacity for complex social interactions; things like pareidolia, empathy and the capacity for language are derived traits that have been positively selected for by our ancestors in their environments. What a society regards as sexy is correlated to fecundity, and there are common ties across all human cultures; human beings are more or less the same ~ and it isn't because we are learning the same knowledge.
I see what you are saying, but if you're still trying to prove humans have instincts you're not understanding what an instinct is. None of this explains instinct.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:41 AM   #78
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen
I don't know about having no instincts, but I sure as hell don't believe we can absolve ourselves of being responsible for fostering hate by saying it's an instinct.
Absolutely...

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen

Finding food & shelter and escaping danger are instincts - basic survival stuff.
When it comes to the instinct debate this is usually what it comes down to. And where most are divided is do humans have built in basic instinct when it comes to food, shelter, or danger. We have reactions to being hungry but do we automatically know how to gather food? When it rains we react but do we know how to shelter ourselves? Birds have instinct to fly south or dig in the ground for food.

Anyways it's a very in depth discussion that I don't have time for right now...
Old 02-14-2007, 10:42 AM   #79
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by jacobus
3 Questions:
1) Are we all born with Hate in us?
2) Is it hidden and only opened when we want it to be part of our lives?
3) Have you or do you still hate anyone, anything?

1) YES! its in our genes
2) YES!
3) YES!
Who were you born hating?
Old 02-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #80
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24

Those yeses do not excist to some.
Wait, didn't you say something different earlier?
Old 02-14-2007, 02:18 PM   #81
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

I see what you are saying, but if you're still trying to prove humans have instincts you're not understanding what an instinct is. None of this explains instinct.
The strict textbook definition of instinct is basically a fully programmed behaviour that operates identically across all individuals in a species; that isn't true of human emotion, what I think deserves illustration is that we are biological entities and the way that we operate is just as much a product of nature as elaborate courtship ceremonies, laying parasitic larvae or playing dead against a predator.

Just becaues it is too difficult to reduce all social interaction and mind function to it's smallest elemetns and have to rely on paradigms like sociology doesn't make that any less the case.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:21 PM   #82
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
The strict textbook definition of instinct is basically a fully programmed behaviour that operates identically across all individuals in a species; that isn't true of human emotion, what I think deserves illustration is that we are biological entities and the way that we operate is just as much a product of nature as elaborate courtship ceremonies, laying parasitic larvae or playing dead against a predator.

Just becaues it is too difficult to reduce all social interaction and mind function to it's smallest elemetns and have to rely on paradigms like sociology doesn't make that any less the case.
Fair enough...
Old 02-15-2007, 09:12 AM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:00 PM
Well here's some hate for you. Straightforward blatant public honesty about his hate too. Of course now he's "sorry".

Tim Hardaway: 'I hate gay people'
'I’m homophobic,' says former All-Star a week after Amaechi's revelation
The Associated Press
Feb 15, 2007

MIAMI - Retired Miami Heat guard Tim Hardaway said Wednesday that he hates gay people, but later said he regretted the remarks.

“You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known. I don’t like gay people and I don’t like to be around gay people,” he said while a guest on Sports Talk 790 The Ticket. “I’m homophobic. I don’t like it. It shouldn’t be in the world or in the United States.”

The discussion was sparked by last week’s announcement that retired NBA center John Amaechi is gay. The host asked Hardaway how he would interact with a gay teammate.

“First of all, I wouldn’t want him on my team. And second of all, if he was on my team, I would, you know, really distance myself from him because, uh, I don’t think that is right. I don’t think he should be in the locker room while we are in the locker room.”

If he did find out that a teammate was gay, Hardaway said he would ask for the player to be removed from the team.

“Something has to give,” Hardaway said. “If you have 12 other ballplayers in your locker room that’s upset and can’t concentrate and always worried about him in the locker room or on the court or whatever, it’s going to be hard for your teammates to win and accept him as a teammate.”

He later apologized for the remarks during a telephone interview with Fox affiliate WSVN in Miami.

“Yes, I regret it. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have said I hate gay people or anything like that,” he said. “That was my mistake.”
Old 02-15-2007, 09:14 AM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I was never a Hardaway fan anyway
Old 02-15-2007, 09:18 AM   #85
Blue Crack Addict

I love how he says it was a "mistake". Gee, I wonder if he means it's a "mistake" and wrong to hate gay people or if it's a "mistake" only to say it publicly. I have my hunches...

I am curious to see if anyone will defend him saying that. If it's ok to use the word fag, is what he said ok and acceptable too?
Old 02-15-2007, 09:29 AM   #86
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Yeah, I think the mistake was saying it publically. He didn't say anything about a change of heart, or a desire to change, nor did he apologize to the gay community. He just said he was sorry for saying it.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:48 AM   #87
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Maybe Tim Hardaway was just born that way. Maybe he should attend rehab along with guy from Desperate Housewives.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:10 PM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Maybe Tim Hardaway was just born that way. Maybe he should attend rehab along with guy from Desperate Housewives.
You mean Gray's Anatomy. Why did he apologize. If he feels that way, then so be it. Are we going to force people to change? Since when did we start becoming a ClockWork Orange society?

The only reason he apologized is because groups out there forced him to??? (Don't know for sure.)

And yes people have instincts Bloody hell!!!

If your instinct tell you not to walk down that alley you don't and if you do your instinct tells to put your guard up.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:23 PM   #89
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

You mean Gray's Anatomy. Why did he apologize. If he feels that way, then so be it. Are we going to force people to change? Since when did we start becoming a ClockWork Orange society?

The only reason he apologized is because groups out there forced him to??? (Don't know for sure.)
Yes I meant Grey's, my bad, I don't watch either show but they seem like the same show to me just different settings.

No one forced him, it was to save face. No one likes to look like a hateful bigot. Haven't you ever noticed most bigots says they aren't a bigot.

Quote:

And yes people have instincts Bloody hell!!!

If your instinct tell you not to walk down that alley you don't and if you do your instinct tells to put your guard up.
That's not an instinct. It's a misuse of the word. It's just a feeling, based on years of news and superhero movies.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:32 PM   #90
Blue Crack Addict

Do you think that a white NBA player should say that he hates black people Justin?

Hate is a negative powerful force in this world. Tim Hardaway is one small part of it, but part of a much larger problem. Silence about it and acceptance of it is endorsing it.

And the stereotypical, primitive ways in which he thinks (which are evident in his locker room and court comments)-well people should be beyond that in 2007. The irony is that the straight players are probably checking each other out much more-if that's what he's worried about. I think he flatters himself way too much, among other things.