Hate!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope. Catholic here. Tom Cruise is crazy. But I will not judge their religion. Can some one please explain to me why it is so hard to understand my theory of actually being born with it but not being released until someone does it.

And how do we know 100% we don't are we going by what scientists who continuily revise there theories? Why because they have a phd? or MD?

They continually revise their theories because they are continually experimenting and learning more about the subject matter! For you to be so dismissive of them only highlights your ignorance on the matter.

I am not ignorant my ideas on this subject get blasted down and only want what everyone else wants to hear. Example. All those Hugo Chavez threads I made. I was telling all of you to watch out for this guy, now guess what he wants to turn Venezuela into the new Cuba? But no before hand almost everyone was saying oh but he is such a good man???:huh:

Justin24 said:
I am not ignorant my ideas on this subject get blasted down and only want what everyone else wants to hear. Example. All those Hugo Chavez threads I made. I was telling all of you to watch out for this guy, now guess what he wants to turn Venezuela into the new Cuba? But no before hand almost everyone was saying oh but he is such a good man???:huh:

Where is Headache's Bunny Picture?

ah, here it is:

Headache in a Suitcase said:

bunny_pancake.jpg

Justin, I was not saying you were ignorant in general, but your comment about scientists is ignorant. You still have not given any valid evidence supporting your claims, and trying to dismiss the extensive research done by scientists with an ignorant comment does not change that.

Without evidence and, more importantly, without a desire on your part to actually find evidence to support your claim, your "theory" is nothing more than a personal hunch.

I have looked all over google on the theories of hate, but nothing comes up. The only thing I see is sites telling us that metal music causes hate.

MrPryck2U said:
Stop looking on the internet and open a book. There's your problem.

Yeah well you can find articles online from scientists. Plus even with reading and responding to this, all it will be is an opinion.

Diemen said:
Wait a minute, now you're interested in what scientists have to say?

Never said I wasn't. But it just seems like I say something and it's irrelivant. I am told to read a book, which is supposed to do what make a greater opinion?

Dude, the hell with scientists! Talk to a SOCIOLOGIST!
Being a Catholic, why do you care about what a scientist says anyway? Don't scientists believe in the theory of evolution. As a Catholic, you're supposed to believe in creationism.(You know, we all started from Adam and Eve)So why are you giving a shit about what a scientist might think?

MrPryck2U said:
Being a Catholic, why do you care about what a scientist says anyway? Don't scientists believe in the theory of evolution. As a Catholic, you're supposed to believe in creationism.(You know, we all started from Adam and Eve)So why are you giving a shit about what a scientist might think?

Oh thats being smart. So all catholics are supposed to believe that. We have brains to think too. Look at how narrow minded you are!!!:mad:

MrPryck2U said:

Whoa, hold your horses. Catholics do believe in evolution. We may be old fashioned and a little crazy, but we're not crazy enough to believe in creationism. I'm a product of catholic education and evolution has been taught every step of the way.

Maybe I should start a thread. "Catholics are only supposed to believe in creationism.

Hey, that was pretty funny! Sorry dude, you've got all that scripture on your signature, I just assumed you bought that creationism mumbo jumbo. I'm gonna go put my horses away.

So what if I have that scripture. I believe in God. I am catholic and I am not ashamed of it either.

Okay, I'm losing the train here, so I need some clarification.

Justin, I find this topic very interesting.

1. Are you talking about almost everybody being born with the
capacity for hatred or kind of a bad seed sort of thing?
2. When you are talking about somebody releasing it, do you
mean someone triggering it by his behavior and incurring
your hatred toward him...do you mean this is a specific hatred
or is that hatred associated with anyone who reminds you of
him? Or can it mean both? I'm not quite sure what the
ultimate focus of this thread is--some of the posts have dealt
with individual hatred, some of them with hatred of a
group which is why I was looking for how we are defining it
for the purposes of discussion. This is your thread so I'm
looking for your definition.
3. Do you also mean that once that capacity is awakened, it
becomes easier to hate more people?

I think the responses have run the gamut of positions. My take is very close to Wanderer's on this. It may be close to yours, but I am not sure yet.

I see no moral issue in feelings. I only see it (for want of a better term) in behavior. We are animals. We respond to stimuli.

BonosSaint said:
Okay, I'm losing the train here, so I need some clarification.

Justin, I find this topic very interesting.

1. Are you talking about almost everybody being born with the
capacity for hatred or kind of a bad seed sort of thing?
2. When you are talking about somebody releasing it, do you
mean someone triggering it by his behavior and incurring
your hatred toward him...do you mean this is a specific hatred
or is that hatred associated with anyone who reminds you of
him? Or can it mean both? I'm not quite sure what the
ultimate focus of this thread is--some of the posts have dealt
with individual hatred, some of them with hatred of a
group which is why I was looking for how we are defining it
for the purposes of discussion. This is your thread so I'm
looking for your definition.
3. Do you also mean that once that capacity is awakened, it
becomes easier to hate more people?

I think the responses have run the gamut of positions. My take is very close to Wanderer's on this. It may be close to yours, but I am not sure yet.

I see no moral issue in feelings. I only see it (for want of a better term) in behavior. We are animals. We respond to stimuli.

1. Everyone is capable of hating, we are human that is a flaw with in us. That flaw can arise with the help of people who only hate.

2. You can or some one can trigger that to be released from your inner being to hate someone or hate your self, or a race, religion etc...

3. Yes, because then it must be controlled and people must learn to unhate because in the end we are human we are the same and we need to learn to respect each other.

I tried my best to respond to this.

Justin, I'm glad you believe in God. I don't know if you heard, but he always seems to have a hand in sports victories. Just recently he helped the Colts win the Super Bowl.

Justin24 said:

1. Everyone is capable of hating, we are human that is a flaw with in us. That flaw can arise with the help of people who only hate.

2. You can or some one can trigger that to be released from your inner being to hate someone or hate your self, or a race, religion etc...

3. Yes, because then it must be controlled and people must learn to unhate because in the end we are human we are the same and we need to learn to respect each other.

I tried my best to respond to this.

Sounds perfectly rational to me. Seems to be you are willing to deal with what some might consider a dark side of yourself, rather than keeping it hidden. I respect that.

While many responses are socialized behavior, I think that most of our emotions/responses are innate (not that I think we are always subject to the same triggers) and the socialization end of it comes with how to handle them.

Justin24 said:

I like this thought that hate is embedded in us and it's the environmental triggers that bring it out. I really think it's foolish to think that someone is capable of not hating. The true, disturbing hate is something I have difficulty understanding and find it hard to believe that it's all learned.

The same can be said for love. There has to be something inside of us that allows us to love. It's a fascinating topic and very speculative in nature. The brain has some deep dark areas that don't really get used much, but are still there - the limbic system is one example. They have to still be there for a reason right? Perhaps hate lives in the seldom used areas of the brain, but in some people this area isn't so seldom used.

Last edited:
I think I can better understand where you're coming from now, Justin, but I still think your theory is dangerously close to "but it's not my fault that I hate ____."

Justin24 said:

1. Everyone is capable of hating,

Ok, now you're confusing me.

First you say:

"It's part of our instinct to hate" and "it's also part of us no matter what we say"

Now you say "everyone is capable".

So which one?

Of course we're all capable, we are born capable of any and every emotion, that's kind of a no brainer. :huh:

MrPryck2U said:
If it is a question of whether hate or the capacity to hate is inborn or not then it can be approached from a sociobiology perspective; I feel that sociology can be very useful in informing things like textual criticism, historical analysis and the motivations of people but when it is done badly then it get's really bad (there is no such thing as objective fact in the universe, science is merely a social construct etc.). That sort of fashionable nonsense was brilliantly exposed with the Sokal Affair.

And the Roman Catholic church does accept theistic evolution.

As Christians though the idea that hate has to be taught seems to make trying to live a life without hate and emulate Christ as best you a much simpler excercise than if you do have to overcome the urge to hate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom