Hate!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:

That's not an instinct. It's a misuse of the word. It's just a feeling, based on years of news and superhero movies.

OMG :huh:

We live in reality not in some comic book. You believe in God correct, so why don't you believe in instinct? We are animals, but evolved.

And as I have said before. Hate is in all of us. It lies dormant until someone triggers it.

MrsSpringsteen said:

So gay people just triggered Tim Hardaway's hate?

No, I am sure when he was a child he could care less about gay people and just thought hey they like everyone else. Then someone, family, friends instilled and woke up the hate in which brings us to him hating gay people?

Justin24 said:

OMG :huh:

We live in reality not in some comic book. You believe in God correct, so why don't you believe in instinct? We are animals, but evolved.

Yes my movie comment was somewhat tongue in cheek given the cliche that bad things always happen in dark alleys.

What does God have to do with instinct?

Name one pattern of behavior that is true throughout all of humanity that in given to us at birth, that is not a reflex. For that would be the true defintion of an instinct.

Justin24 said:

And as I have said before. Hate is in all of us. It lies dormant until someone triggers it.

It's not in me. Please prove to me otherwise.

Justin24 said:

Then someone, family, friends instilled and woke up the hate in which brings us to him hating gay people?

How do you instill and wake up? You are contradicting yourself. Instill means to infuse slowly into the mind, therefore it has to be taught.

The truth is, this is just a theory you came up with, one that takes away all personal responsibilty, and it has no backing.

Why don't you show me something that backs this theory of yours up. Until then quit stating it, like it's fact, please.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Yes my movie comment was somewhat tongue in cheek given the cliche that bad things always happen in dark alleys.

What does God have to do with instinct?

Name one pattern of behavior that is true throughout all of humanity that in given to us at birth, that is not a reflex. For that would be the true defintion of an instinct.

It's not in me. Please prove to me otherwise.

If God is the creator of all and made us into his image then god must have instinct. He must have given us and all animals some sort of warning system.

Are you telling me in your childhood you never said, I hate this day, or I hate you or I hate going to school?? How do I know your not self denying you dont have that in you?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

How do you instill and wake up? You are contradicting yourself. Instill means to infuse slowly into the mind, therefore it has to be taught.

The truth is, this is just a theory you came up with, one that takes away all personal responsibilty, and it has no backing.

Why don't you show me something that backs this theory of yours up. Until then quit stating it, like it's fact, please.

Then quit stating that it's fact that we don't have instinct, when it's still up for debate as you said.:wink:

Justin24 said:

No, I am sure when he was a child he could care less about gay people and just thought hey they like everyone else. Then someone, family, friends instilled and woke up the hate in which brings us to him hating gay people?

Nobody made Tim Hardaway hate or instilled anything in him. He is a grown man and needs to take responsibility for his CHOICE to hate. He possesses free will and the ability to be self aware-and he has the power of personal responsibility. What did gay people ever do to him to warrant such hate, to bring back some of your earlier references in this thread. What would be your guesses as to why he hates gay people-it would always be a guess of course because only he knows for sure.

MrsSpringsteen said:

Nobody made Tim Hardaway hate or instilled anything in him. He is a grown man and needs to take responsibility for his CHOICE to hate. He possesses free will and the ability to be self aware-and he has the power of personal responsibility. What did gay people ever do to him to warrant such hate, to bring back some of your earlier references in this thread. What would be your guesses as to why he hates gay people-it would always be a guess of course because only he knows for sure.

whoooooooooooa hold on there. A few messages ago others said that hate is taught, which also means it's instilled in them by the teacher, soooooooooo explain this to me please.

Justin24 said:

If God is the creator of all and made us into his image then god must have instinct. He must have given us and all animals some sort of warning system.
A "warning system" isn't an instinct. Do a quick google search on "do humans have instincts" and you'll find papers on both sides. None of which define instinct the way you do.

Justin24 said:

Are you telling me in your childhood you never said, I hate this day, or I hate you or I hate going to school?? How do I know your not self denying you dont have that in you?

You can't honestly think a child stating he hates homework is the same thing we're talking about here, if so this threads a waste of time. If this is how we're defining hate then this thread doesn't belong in FYM, we can put it in Lemonade Stand and list all the things we "hate" like skunk smell, homework and papercuts.

The irony is that the straight players are probably checking each other out much more-if that's what he's worried about. I think he flatters himself way too much, among other things. [/B]

That's the thing I never got about the homophobes. Just because a guy is gay doesn't mean he's checking out every man's ass that passes by. Why is every gay man assumed to be a raving sex-crazed hairy-palmed pervert?

I also think it was pretty chickenshit of him to apologize...what's more arrogant, thinking that gay men across the country are losing sleep because the great Tim Hardaway hates gays, or that they'll feel all warm & fuzzy because he apologized (and not for his thoughts, but for articulating them). Tool.

Sorry for the hijack, but that's just stupid.

Seriously, does anyone have any knowledge as to whether people in all cultures experience hate, or even have a word for hate? I'm really curious, and I can't figure the right word combination to google :(

Well of course hate can be taught Justin-but it is always the "student's" choice to accept or reject it.

I had a bigoted grandfather who would try to teach me to hate certain people, but even as a kid I made the conscious choice to reject that.

Justin24 said:

Then quit stating that it's fact that we don't have instinct, when it's still up for debate as you said.:wink:

But I have defined instinct and discussed the issue with others in here, and I've stated time and time again it's debatable. Never once have I sold it as fact. I've just tried to give examples to back up my belief.

Why, because this is exactly what they teach in any sociology class. That humans are different from animals and DO NOT possess instincts. That they are taught everything. They are taught to love or to hate by either actions or words. You're naivete in this subject is showing. I think you better quit while you're behind!

BonoVoxSupastar said:

A "warning system" isn't an instinct. Do a quick google search on "do humans have instincts" and you'll find papers on both sides. None of which define instinct the way you do.

You can't honestly think a child stating he hates homework is the same thing we're talking about here, if so this threads a waste of time. If this is how we're defining hate then this thread doesn't belong in FYM, we can put it in Lemonade Stand and list all the things we "hate" like skunk smell, homework and papercuts.

Ok bad example. I am sure you have been angry to the point you told someone you hate them. Think hard on it.

MrPryck2U said:
Why, because this is exactly what they teach in any sociology class. That humans are different from animals and DO NOT possess instincts. That they are taught everything. They are taught to love or to hate by either actions or words. You're naivete in this subject is showing. I think you better quit while you're behind!

yeah and psycologist love to dope up people. Over paid to listen to peoples problems.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

But I have defined instinct and discussed the issue with others in here, and I've stated time and time again it's debatable. Never once have I sold it as fact. I've just tried to give examples to back up my belief.

Yes and that is your belief and I have mine. So we both can't be wrong can we?

MrsSpringsteen said:
Well of course hate can be taught Justin-but it is always the "student's" choice to accept or reject it.

I had a bigoted grandfather who would try to teach me to hate certain people, but even as a kid I made the conscious choice to reject that.

Well some can handle it and some can't

Justin24 said:

Well some can handle it and some can't

What exactly do you mean by that? I'm just confused by that statement.

I was just reading an article on Yahoo and John Amaechi answered some of your other questions much better than I can..

Former NBA center John Amaechi, who disclosed last week he's gay, said anti-gay comments by another retired player "demonstrate the need to continue the conversation."

"I don't need Tim's comments to realize there's a problem," Amaechi told The Associated Press in a phone interview Thursday. "People said that I should just shut up and go away -- now they have to rethink that."

Amaechi also detailed his life, in his autobiography "Man in the Middle," which was released Wednesday. He hoped his coming out would be a catalyst for intelligent discourse.

"His (Hardaway's) words pollute the atmosphere," Amaechi said. "It creates an atmosphere that allows young gays and lesbians to be harassed in school, creates an atmosphere where in 33 states you can lose your job, and where anti-gay and lesbian issues are used for political gain. It's an atmosphere that hurts all of us, not just gay people."

"Famously, they're saying in 2007 that homophobia is not an issue," Amaechi said. "While (Hardaway) is not a representative of the NBA or of straight men, there's no point pretending it's not an opinion that is out there."

I guess he was appearing at some pre All Star Game stuff, and he has been removed from all of that

Hardaway has reportedly been removed from further league-related appearances.

"It is inappropriate for him to be representing us given the disparity between his views and ours," NBA commissioner David Stern said in a statement to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Wanderer, did you read what I was responding to? Justin briefly mentioned psychologists doping their patients.
Plus he was also stating that his belief was indeed fact.

Justin24 said:

Yes and that is your belief and I have mine. So we both can't be wrong can we?

This isn't about belief in the sence of believing in the tooth fairy or something.

I have stated facts to back my beliefs up. There are many sociologists and experts that state the same thing. Many in here have agree with me.

You just have a personal theory.

Justin, surely you see that saying you hate something or someone is not anywhere near the same as having actual hatred in your heart for that thing or person, right?

Also, are you starting to dabble in Scientology?

Back
Top Bottom