Has the New Tech Bubble Burst?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
Google Falls 16%

A sudden chill fell on Google's red-hot share price on Tuesday as the stock market's latest internet darling unveiled earnings that for the first time failed to far exceed Wall Street expectations.

The search engine company's shares slumped by more than 16 per cent in after-hours trading, wiping more than $20bn from its stock market value.

I can't believe I did not move $200,000 into google before this happened?

My timing is usually impeccable.

I see another bubble bursting. It was bad when it first happened here in the Bay Area. I think Google just fucked themselfs.

I'm not even close to being a market expert, but other than Google what tech stocks are seemingly absurdly high or inflated? Is Google really that powerful to bring other stocks down with it?

I can't wait for that housing market bubble to burst. I'll be a potential buyer in short time and want there to be a glut of houses out there at cheaper prices. :drool:

randhail said:
I can't wait for that housing market bubble to burst. I'll be a potential buyer in short time and want there to be a glut of houses out there at cheaper prices. :drool:

Wait until 2007 and 2008 when all those ARM loans start adjusting up. It's going to be a bloodbath.

I'll be primed to buy with my 20% down payment.

My bigger concern is it's effect on the overall economy. Cheap loans and 100% appreciation have been propping the US economy up. A rash of foreclosures could kill it. Depression, not recession.

MrBrau1 said:
My bigger concern is it's effect on the overall economy. Cheap loans and 100% appreciation have been propping the US economy up. A rash of foreclosures could kill it. Depression, not recession.

why do you hate freedom?

Irvine511 said:

why do you hate freedom?

:lmao:

NYC Mayor Bloomberg hates freedom too.

He's predicting 10% price drops and 14% sales drops in NYC.

ALOT of people who think they're rich, are about to find out they're poor.

Hooray for $0 debt!:dance:

MrBrau1 said:

Interest rates have been rising for over a year. Some people will be at risk if they jumped on an overpriced property. Though it is usually done with the expectation that the home will continue to grow in value (with big profit in mind).

But the vast majority of homeowners are far better off today than they were 5-10 years ago - even with a price drop.

The factors leading to a depression are not in sight.

nbcrusader said:

Interest rates have been rising for over a year. Some people will be at risk if they jumped on an overpriced property. Though it is usually done with the expectation that the home will continue to grow in value (with big profit in mind).

But the vast majority of homeowners are far better off today than they were 5-10 years ago - even with a price drop.

The factors leading to a depression are not in sight.

National Association of Realtors

check is in the mail

It is clear that our consumer appetite causes many to live beyond their means. Today's generations want what their parents have, without spending the time to build savings first.

^^ :hmm:

"Do not put a stumbling block in front of a blind man" (Lev 19:14).

And one contemporary rabbi's interpretation of this:
When a person seeks advice, he has a right to expect that the guidance being offered is intended solely for his benefit. If, for some reason, his advisor feels incapable of offering neutral advice he is obligated to explain why or to offer no advice at all...it is forbidden to pretend to help someone by giving advice, when that advice is actually intended to benefit the person offering it.
Brazen and unrealistic incompatibility with free market values and an ethos of individual responsibility, or a collective ethical challenge worth taking on?

yolland said:
Brazen and unrealistic incompatibility with free market values and an ethos of individual responsibility, or a collective ethical challenge worth taking on?

Definitely an ethical challenge worth working on (though, you better drop the biblical reference :wink: ).

We currently have rules and regulations regarding fiduciary responsibilities. The more challenging part of these rules is the ability to show that a loss was due to a breach of fiduciary responsibility, instead of other market forces.

nbcrusader said:
It is clear that our consumer appetite causes many to live beyond their means. Today's generations want what their parents have, without spending the time to build savings first.

you may recall

after 911

the President's first advice

go spend money.

I think America is consuming way too much
and I am more guilty than most.

I don't need a Plasma TV
I don't need a new second car

but I may buy them both, soon

deep said:
I think America is consuming way too much

This "trend" started back in the late 70's.

The boom of the 80's made it a reality for many.

Now we, as a country, are hooked on are consumption.

High school students' cars are nicer than mine.

And, looking at the wealth of the community, we joke that a Newport home without a plasma screen is a home in need.

nbcrusader said:

High school students' cars are nicer than mine.

A friend of mine would let her son drive her BMW to Newport Harbor High.

I asked her why?

She said he could not drive a several year old Japanese car without being ridiculed.

Gotta love the O C

I for one enjoyed the days of driving around in my grandparent's old chevy station wagon. Kids today are really missing out by not driving a beater. Driving a crappy car is a badge of honor amongst the people that I know. :wink:

Reminds me of that old Camper van Beethoven song about Club Med and Newport Beach...

Here in Southern Indiana a needy home would be one without a pickup truck :wink: .

We used to make fun of the BMW/Jaguar kids in high school (all the way back in 1991)

Nothing said "Mama's Boy" more than a 16 yr old w/ a $30,000 car.

Then again, I rode to school in a '76 Chevy Malibu, roll painted with flat black alluminum siding paint, a white skull & crossbones painted on the doors.

Across the back were the words:

Mo's War Wagon

We chopped the roof off for homecoming, and the car actually broke in 1/2.

Good times.

Last edited:
Another big problem with the current housing bubble. ARM and Interest Only Loans. Like your "low monthly payment"? People are in for a rude awakening when these loans adjust.

MI-AG664_LONG_20060131202810.gif

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB113876196684961752-lMyQjAxMDE2MzA4MTcwNjExWj.html

MrBrau1 said:
Another big problem with the current housing bubble. ARM and Interest Only Loans. Like your "low monthly payment"? People are in for a rude awakening when these loans adjust.

This happens with every economic cycle. When rates increased in the 90's, those with ARMs got their rude awakening.

It is all about risk and reward.

Back
Top Bottom