Has it ever occurred to you that... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2002, 05:10 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 04:32 PM
Has it ever occurred to you that...

Bush might actually have in front of him, on his desk, tangible, touchable, visible evidence of an impending, immediate threat to our national security and the security of our allies regarding Iraq/Hussein?

I've read alot of naive comments on this board, about the current Iraqi situation, and none of you seem to get this?

Can any respect the fact that we have means to gather intelligence in these matters, and at times, immediate action is needed?

Or do you demand that we expose all of our means of obtaining this evidence before you believe it?

Do you think Daschle and Gephardt would just blindly fall in line without seeing such evidence?

Anyone?

Mark

Old 09-18-2002, 05:19 PM   #2
you are what you is

Local Time: 10:32 PM
couldn't he at least show that evidence to 1 or 2 other people who have something to say in the UN ?

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 09-18-2002, 05:43 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:32 PM
Well, Salome, apparently he has convinced one of your fellow Dutchmen, the guy who presides over the UN. I couldn't find the quote, but last night he expressed his skepticism of Iraq's offer by saying something like "We better sleep with our eyes wide open and our boots on."

~U2Alabama
Old 09-18-2002, 05:52 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 08:32 AM
I really think that probably the only imminent threat that Sadam could pose towards both the US and their allies is a trade embargo on oil
Old 09-18-2002, 06:20 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by OzAurora
I really think that probably the only imminent threat that Sadam could pose towards both the US and their allies is a trade embargo on oil

agreed. with a contingency.

i do believe that saddam has wmd's, but i'm not sure what gives the united states alone jurisdiction on who can and cannot have wmd's (not that i am at ease at all with saddam having them *shudder*).

i want the u.n in on this with us, it just feels strange going in alone.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:22 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

I am hovering somewhere around 90-99% certain that there was some evidence introduced.

Why?

Explain why Saudi Arabia and even more importantly Egypt would through their support behind a UN authorized action against Iraq within 24 Hours.

As for a threat to America....I think the Oil Embargo comment is way off.

What about the man lobbing Nuke/Bio weapons into Israel?

Do you think that may be enough to cause WWIII?
Old 09-18-2002, 08:27 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Lilly

i do believe that saddam has wmd's, but i'm not sure what gives the united states alone jurisdiction on who can and cannot have wmd's (not that i am at ease at all with saddam having them *shudder*).

i want the u.n in on this with us, it just feels strange going in alone.
HI Lilly!!!!!

I think the cease fire agreement which was agreed upon through the United Nations and Saddam and their Resolutions pretty much gave the Untited Nations jurisdiction.

The real question is will they enforce them. If we do have evidence and Bush is not being a cowboy, then do we wait for Saddam to attack Israel? He did so during Desert Storm and they were not a part of any action agains him at that time.

The scary thing is if the UN does not enforce their own Resolutions it is clearly a dead organization with no power over anything.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:04 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

He has only violated 16 UN resolutions since 1991; give the guy a break. Sure he probably won't "launch" anything at the U.S. He might launch something at Israel, but I guess we should stay out of that one too. Right?

~U2Alabama
Old 09-18-2002, 10:27 PM   #9
New Yorker

Yeah really, the worst Saddam could do is bomb Israel right? I mean, think about it, do you think someone in Afghanistan would have the power to blow up part of NYC? Its impossible right......?

I am a bit skeptical about this indeed. How do we know Bush isn't trying to finish what his father started? What about the oil?

But where did that anthrax come from last year? How much people can you take out by releasing nerve gas from Iraq in the Times Square subway station during rush hour? And was bin Laden was the sole monetary backer of the 9/11 attacks?

I don't want to go to war. And if we do, I don't want things to be unfinished like they were ten years ago. But the world we live in today is not the world we lived in ten years ago. If Bush was able to persuade Powell to his side that says alot about possible evidence. And if Bush strong armed Powell in to changing his position, that says alot about Bush. But I don't think Sec. Powell just changed his position because the president said so.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:35 AM   #10
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama
He has only violated 16 UN resolutions since 1991; give the guy a break.
I will never say the guy is a saint and that he doesn't deserve to be banished from this planet, but speaking of UN resolutions, who is counting the ones Israel has violated?, I guess we need less hypocrisy in the US exterior politics to make this kind of arguments valuable.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:41 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

rafmed:

I agree that Israel's violations need to be addressed as well. Thank you.

~U2Alabama
Old 09-19-2002, 01:11 AM   #12
you are what you is

Local Time: 10:32 PM
Quote:
Well, Salome, apparently he has convinced one of your fellow Dutchmen, the guy who presides over the UN.
our government has already said that Holland will support the US to invade Iraq even without support of the UN
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 09-19-2002, 01:33 AM   #13
Jesus Online

Local Time: 08:32 AM
All we can do is speculate regarding this evidence Bush says he has. What a lot of people are wondering is why he isn't forthcoming to those who can and will help him and America if need be. I just think if the evidence is that credible, why is Canada and previously England, holding out? Whatever info is available shouldn't have to be made public knowledge exactly for those reasons of security, but I'm wondering about other leaders who still remain unconvinced. Its not too much to ask is it, when you are faced with making a possibly horrendous mistake plus endangering countless innocent Iraqi's and countless innocent service men and women of the US military, in the name of 'collateral damage'?
Your points are valid MadelynIris, just like the questions are.
Old 09-19-2002, 02:29 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:32 PM
Normal

I'm watching the 11oclock news...

The newscast said that Bush has satellite photos of Iraq and Hussein's factory of mass destruction.
Old 09-19-2002, 03:43 AM   #15
Thom's Bitch

Local Time: 07:32 AM
Quote:
He has only violated 16 UN resolutions since 1991

Why is it okay for the US to not follow the UN but not Iraq? The US has defied the UN by not signing the Kyoto Protocol yet, when another nation defies them they get speak out. Is this okay?

I am not saying I am for or against an attack on Iraq, I havent made up my mind yet. I just would like to know why this is okay.