Has Hollywood Gone Too Far With DVD Control? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2006, 11:13 AM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

You may have not paid your friend, but do you really think all it costs is the price of a blank DVD for your friend? He had to buy the software and equipment and he probably spent hours editing it; time is money.
So, you've proved my point, they ARE making money. There's no WAY a for-profit business is only charging the cost of "services". How do they pay the employees?

You can't pay someone to purchase books, pre-print them without parts of the content, make a profit selling them publicly (which we have to assume since they aren't a non-profit), and think that's perfectly legal....

Old 07-27-2006, 12:01 PM   #32
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:32 AM
Quote:
BVS,
Let's imagine you have a favorite photographer. He releases a big book full of his photos, and you buy a copy. Now let's imagine that one of the photos just bugs the crud out of you to the extent that you don't even want to see the photo while flipping through the pages.

Do you think that you should not be allowed to rip that photo out of your book and throw it away?
If you want to edit the movie yourself, that's fine. Just don't edit it then sell it.

I don't believe in third parties editing for distribution.

Old 07-27-2006, 12:21 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:32 AM
Given that movies are edited and distributed regularly for television and airlines, does a contractual permission for such work really act as the deciding factor?

Or is the underlying political statement expressed by the work of Clean Films the true source of contention?
Old 07-27-2006, 12:26 PM   #34
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Given that movies are edited and distributed regularly for television and airlines, does a contractual permission for such work really act as the deciding factor?

Or is the underlying political statement expressed by the work of Clean Films the true source of contention?
Why are you making this political?

Of course if the editing is done with permission it's entirely different.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:37 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

Quote:
it would be one thing if the studio did it themselves.

it is quite another for Clean Films to do it for them.

write a letter to Universal and tell them that you'd like to have cleaned-up versions of their movies.
yup, what irvine said. this is a clear case of copyright infringement me thinks.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:40 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

My question was "is this the deciding factor"? Many artists do not retain such a degree of control that they could object to the specific edits that occur for television or airlines. Yet, if you follow the contracts, technically "permission" has been granted. The artistic integrity is degraded as contracts begin to water down the bundle of rights originally held by the artist.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:59 PM   #37
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
My question was "is this the deciding factor"?
Deciding factor for what?

Quote:

The artistic integrity is degraded as contracts begin to water down the bundle of rights originally held by the artist.
Dangers of the business.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:18 PM   #38
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
My question was "is this the deciding factor"? Many artists do not retain such a degree of control that they could object to the specific edits that occur for television or airlines. Yet, if you follow the contracts, technically "permission" has been granted. The artistic integrity is degraded as contracts begin to water down the bundle of rights originally held by the artist.

i think you're confusing the rights of "artists" -- by which we would mean, in this instance, directors -- with the rights of distributors, which would be production companies like Universal, Warner Bros, etc.

depending upon the terms of the contract (i.e., only a handful of directors ever get "final cut" rights, for example, usually the final cut of a film you see is what the studio wants not necessarily what the director wants), permission is not for the director to give but for the studio to give. artistic integrity is beside the point. the finished film is a product to be distributed, and the studio determines in what form that product will be distributed.

you'll note that this isn't a new issue. for example, Blockbuster will not carry films rated NC-17. so, many studios go back and re-edit films themselves in order to get an R rating so that their films can be rented from Blockbuster. one example that leaps to mind is "Showgirls."

it's about $$$, not politics, at least from the perspective of a studio.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:23 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

If I understand the service correctly, the studio is still receiving its full share of $$ on each DVD sold by Clean Films. The editing is a service paid for separately from the price of the film.

I also understand the difference between the rights of the artist and the rights of a distributor. The initial objection to Clean Films was based on the artist retaining control over their work.

I would understand completely if Clean Films downloaded a movie and sold it after editing (no money for the studio).
Old 07-27-2006, 01:37 PM   #40
Blue Crack Supplier

A company like CleanFilms should go to a Universal-type company, and say, "Look, these films have some things that could be edited out and distributed to those who want a cleaner viewing experience. We could team up. We'll do the work, you can still make some royalty on it, and everyone wins." It's not complicated. If they don't want to do it, then, well, you're out of luck.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:52 PM   #41
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
If I understand the service correctly, the studio is still receiving its full share of $$ on each DVD sold by Clean Films. The editing is a service paid for separately from the price of the film.
How is this possible unless they have a deal with the studios?

They only need one copy to edit and then they distribute from that copy.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:59 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

If they are not paying for each copy of the movie, then they are no better than anyone who illegally downloads media.

For purposes of discussion, let's assume they do pay the studio for each copy. Remove the $$$ component.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:59 PM   #43
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
As an artist, I wouldn't want my work changed because it offended someone. I do use self-censorship. I don't take certain paintings out of the studio because I'm afraid they'll offend someone. Last year I abandoned a piece with too much blood and guts. I don't do sex scenes. This has alot to do with me being a lousy figure drawer, but it also had alot to do with my personal values. I don't think I would want someone to rip off a piece of a painting because they didn't like it. I understand movies are different, but as anitram and melon pointed out there are copyright and other legal issues involved.
I'm an artist too and I would be really upset if someone take one of my pieces and change it just because it doesn't fit their values .
Old 07-27-2006, 02:01 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

How is this possible unless they have a deal with the studios?

They only need one copy to edit and then they distribute from that copy.
In their FAQs, they state that they buy one original copy for each edited movie they sale. They maintain at least a 1 to 1 ratio. In fact, they send you the unedited original copy along with the edited DVD; they disable the original so that you are not receiving 2 copies.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:06 PM   #45
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Quote:

In their FAQs, they state that they buy one original copy for each edited movie they sale. They maintain at least a 1 to 1 ratio. In fact, they send you the unedited original copy along with the edited DVD; they disable the original so that you are not receiving 2 copies.
Do they have a reproduction's right (and distribution right) contract with the studios? Because if they don't that's illegal