Has Hollywood Gone Too Far With DVD Control? - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2006, 08:42 PM   #226
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

You don't have to get the automaker's permission to alter your car and then sell it to someone else.
No. We're talking cars here, not art. You can sell an altered car. My argument is that you can't sell a piece of art that's been altered as the work of the original artist. If you bought one of my paintings, and got a corner of the imagery changed to suit your tastes, it wouldn't be my work anymore. It wouldn't be honest to market it as my work when it's really not.

Old 07-31-2006, 08:50 PM   #227
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:21 AM
Quote:

You don't have to get the automaker's permission to alter your car and then sell it to someone else.
It would have happened at some point in time. Not case by case now, but historically.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:18 PM   #228
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
if you'd like, i can talk about the extensive contracts that are drawn up between companies and television networks that deal with product placement, after all, that's what a great deal of home improvement/makeover shows are all about -- product placement.

really, programming only exists to fill the time between commercials.
How does product placement relate to this discussion?
Old 07-31-2006, 09:52 PM   #229
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

How does product placement relate to this discussion?

what do you think Pimp My Ride is all about?
Old 07-31-2006, 10:10 PM   #230
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

No. We're talking cars here, not art. You can sell an altered car. My argument is that you can't sell a piece of art that's been altered as the work of the original artist. If you bought one of my paintings, and got a corner of the imagery changed to suit your tastes, it wouldn't be my work anymore. It wouldn't be honest to market it as my work when it's really not.
Why is a car any different? Didn't someone or a team of someone design that car? If you alter a mustang, is it no longer a Ford?
Old 07-31-2006, 10:13 PM   #231
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:21 AM
Quote:

Why is a car any different? Didn't someone or a team of someone design that car? If you alter a mustang, is it no longer a Ford?
Well, technically, not in a legal sense (talking true mechanical or body alterations here, not just the addition of shag carpet on the ceiling and an in car DVD player).
Old 07-31-2006, 10:17 PM   #232
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

I think Earnie's explanation is the clearest from the legal perspective in answering the question. Automakers allow for unlimited revisions. Though if you were to buy cars from Fords, remodel them and then sell them as Fords yourself, maybe there would be an issue.

For art, it boils down to intellectual property rights. With art, in a sense we never really OWN the art in the way that we own the car. We in essence, purchase the right to appreciate it, and yes once it is in our possession we can do whatever we want to do it without violating any ethical or technical laws. But if I start trying to profit off someone else's creativity, changing the art and selling it to make a profit, then that is a disrespect to the artist and it is unethical.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:52 PM   #233
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
what do you think Pimp My Ride is all about?
Having never watched a full show, I used it as a clear example of altering a product for personal taste.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:30 PM   #234
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm not sure what else I can add to this thread beyond I've already said. With that, the law is blatantly clear in regards to the illegality of "Clean Films," and no amount of debate will change that.

I'd suggest that if you dislike it to take it up with your congressmen, but they will probably ignore you. They've been gleefully ratcheting up copyright law for over a decade now with no signs of abatement.

Melon
Old 07-31-2006, 11:35 PM   #235
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

But what you're not getting is that what's stopping this third party from doing more? You keep avoiding this question.
If their current editing falls with the scope of fair use, and I'm not sure it doesn't, what is stoppig them from doing more is that they then might be outside the scope of fair use and would be stopped by the law.

As it is now, the judge has decided that it's not with Fair Use, so I guess we all have to live with that. However, I do think it's odd is that the judge found for the studios but is allowing Clean Films until the middle of August to sell their remaining stock. If what they are doing is illegal, why didn't the judge just shut `em down? I don't understand that.

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
You are only thinking about your wants in this situation. Your want to watch a movie this way does not entitle you to this. I'd be careful about the judgements you are throwing on "hollywood" when your views come off just as selfish.
Nonsense; I am not just thinking about my wants. I am concerned about the rights of everyone who wants to enjoy a good movie without having to hear God cursed up one side and down the other. If I were being selfish, I'd buy illegal DVD recording software that allows me to edit movies that are copy protected. I haven't done that.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:37 PM   #236
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
As it is now, the judge has decided that it's not with Fair Use, so I guess we all have to live with that. However, I do think it's odd is that the judge found for the studios but is allowing Clean Films until the middle of August to sell their remaining stock. If what they are doing is illegal, why didn't the judge just shut `em down? I don't understand that.
Because they're giving "Clean Films" time to go through the appeals process, knowing that another judge will probably extend that time until they run out of appeals completely. It's just like how death penalty sentences are dragged out for 20 years or more a lot of the time.

Melon
Old 07-31-2006, 11:39 PM   #237
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Because they're giving "Clean Films" time to go through the appeals process, knowing that another judge will probably extend that time until they run out of appeals completely. It's just like how death penalty sentences are dragged out for 20 years or more a lot of the time.

Melon
Clean Films isn't going to appeal; I don't know about the other companies.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:40 PM   #238
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Clean Films isn't going to appeal; I don't know about the other companies.
In that case, it gives "Clean Films" time to properly and legally dissolve its assets. It's not merely a matter of locking the doors.

Melon
Old 08-01-2006, 12:01 AM   #239
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

In that case, it gives "Clean Films" time to properly and legally dissolve its assets. It's not merely a matter of locking the doors.

Melon
Ok, I gotcha. Thanks.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:53 AM   #240
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Having never watched a full show, I used it as a clear example of altering a product for personal taste.

but done with the company's permission with the expressed agreement that the name of the product is to be mentioned several times over the course of the show, as well as other products with which the production company has a contract.