has Frank Rich been reading FYM? NYT columnist ties it all together ... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 12-17-2004, 06:48 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 07:35 AM
I have to agree with Macfistowannabe.

Being told how someone died for you is nowhere near the experience of watching something similar to what happenned. I am thankful that this movie was made because it put my life more into focus. It did change me, and millions more, spiritually.

Old 12-17-2004, 11:15 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 09:35 AM
Thanks BrownEyedBoy, I was hoping I wasn't alone on this one.

The "is sex worse than violence" debate is interesting. Personally, I've never seen any sex in a film that was actually meaningful. It's out there because it sells, and our society is obsessed with it. Same thing with most of the violence we see. The exceptions I often make for it are for historical purposes, such as Saving Private Ryan. Show the harsh realities of war. I consider Jesus' crucifixion nothing less of a historical event.

When we see violence in a film, we know it's fake, and the actors are generally not hurt. When we see nudity, we're not stupid. We know it's real. Personally, I sold a few of my own movies, because they made me overly lustful and obsessive. I knew for my own good that it was the better thing to do. When I see violence, it doesn't make me want to punch anyone. When I see sexuality, yes it has an effect on my mind.

Would I have seen a movie this violent if it wasn't about Jesus' crucifixion, or any other historical event? I doubt it. I don't enjoy meaningless violence anymore than anyone else. Movies like Ghost Ship that really have no positive message in them turn me off.

No one came out of that film learning anything they didn't already know about Christ that was noteworthy.
To me, it's not always about KNOWING that matters. It's being reminded, because people like myself often need reminders. I came out wondering how mankind can be so wicked, sickening, and awful. I came out thinking, "This world is full of hate." You know something, the world hasn't changed a whole lot since. Mankind is still barbaric and apathetic. Look no further than global terrorists. Yet, even when Jesus knew the beatings he would endure, he preached "Love your enemies."