Harvard limits gym use for muslim women

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Irvine511 said:
i'm a gay man. female breasts make me uncomfortable. when they are exposed to me, as they are at public swimming pools and on beaches in Europe, i get uncomfortable.

there should be special hours for me to go swimming where i'm not in danger of being exposed to naked female breasts.

where are these public swimming pools of which you speak... :shifty:

Irvine511 said:
i'm a gay man. female breasts make me uncomfortable. when they are exposed to me, as they are at public swimming pools and on beaches in Europe, i get uncomfortable.

there should be special hours for me to go swimming where i'm not in danger of being exposed to naked female breasts.

Actually at our athletic facility you can't wear bikinis and that sort of thing in the athletic pool. I *think* women have to wear one-pieces but I'm not sure since I don't swim.

This only means that I can go to Harvard and come up with a new religion that says that if I don´t workout on my own it will affect my modesty so they must close a gym for a few hours just for me. It´s no biggie. Just a few hourse really. :shrug:

You have to remember: It's Harvard, so people must make an issue of that and must speak up how they feel about it. ;)

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Yeah but prayer facilities don't infringe on the times people can fly. They allow everyone to use the airport at the same time. The gym should have gone for a much better compromise.

Yeah.

Irvine511 said:

[/QUOTE

Irvine I usually disagree with what you have to say, but I am actually in 100% agreement with you. Except I actually enjoy breasts! :wink:

I don't see what the issue is, as backwardly patriachal as modesty and gender aparteid strike me why shouldn't an institution like Harvard cater for it's Muslim staff and students? This sort of thing being enforced at a public pool at the expense of other people might raise some ire but it's not the publics call in this situation.

spokesman Robert Mitchell said
"We get special requests from religious groups all the time and we try to honor them whenever possible"

If those are honored they have to consider this one equally-or it could be called discrimination, correct? There are men only golf tournaments, ladies nights, etc-and those are not religion based.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/03/11/glenn-beck-watch-some-re_n_90949.html

When Harvard University announced that they had set up an accommodation for Muslim female students to exercise at their Quadrangle Recreational Athletic Facility in keeping with their faith -- which meant men could not exercise there during those set times -- I had a feeling that Glenn Beck would bring his disingenuous barnstorming act before long. Yesterday, he finally accommodated my prediction, comparing the accommodation to full-on Sharia Law, and worse:

Why are you trying to -- this is the beginning of Sharia law. Ask the people in the Sudan. They all said, oh, no, well, that would -- this is just a small concession; that's no big deal. It would never get to this. Look at the Sudan now. This is the way it starts over and over and over and over again. And why? Why just leave it as assimilate?

Harvard alum Matthew Yglesias explains:

Harvard, like all American institutions of higher education of which I'm aware, shuts down and creates a holiday in late December that just so happens to coincide with an important familial and religious observance for Christians whereas no such allowance is made for Passover visits. Christianism? Worse, it happens in public high schools and elementary schools all across the country, the very same country in which no mail can be delivered on Sunday! Meanwhile, when I was a student at Harvard there was a ban on having anything on fire in a dorm room and also a movement to create an exemption so that Jewish students could light Hanukkah candles. I don't recall whether or not the exemption was granted, but if it was that certainly wouldn't constitute the dawning of a new era of Jewish theocratic rule at the university. I know for a fact that they allow students to reschedule exams for religious reasons, like a Jewish or Muslim obligation to avoid taking an exam on a Saturday (no exams are scheduled on Sundays).

Back
Top Bottom