Harvard limits gym use for muslim women - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2008, 09:28 PM   #16
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
No, this is true. Not the pool at least, but would Muslim women living this strict to their religion swim in public? I'm just curious, I've never heard either way.
I can't say for sure, but I know traditional Orthodox Jews follow similar modesty rules, and many Orthodox women will certainly wear bathing suits and swim if a women-only facility (or one with women-only hours) is available. Basically, the rules don't apply when you're only around your own sex. In areas where no such facilities are available, sometimes Orthodox rabbis will rule that the interest in preserving one's health overrides, and so a woman should just buy the most modest clothing appropriate for the activity then go ahead and use the coed/both-sexes facility.
Quote:
But isn't this why we have Curves? I understand the majority compromising for certain minorities, such as ADA and parking places, etc. But these compromises have never denied a whole part of the majority access to something everyone else has access to.
Well, true, but the thing is students' gym access is usually covered by their required tuition and fees, and they may not be able to afford membership at Curves or similar (if that option is even available locally).

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 03-05-2008, 09:30 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra
I don't see it as a big deal. According to the article the policy applies to only one relatively lightly used gym and it's for a very few hours a week.
I agree,

I agree with the Bill of Rights that people should have free exercise of religion. I agree with Harvard for allowing this for Musilm women. This does not effect others in their exercise of faith or non-faith beliefs.

No big deal

Old 03-05-2008, 10:19 PM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

Well, true, but the thing is students' gym access is usually covered by their required tuition and fees, and they may not be able to afford membership at Curves or similar (if that option is even available locally).
I thought about that, and I was trying to remember if tuition covered my gym or if it was additional.

But now reading the article again, I'm actually fine with it, I somehow overlooked the part that it's only a few days a week, I thought it was the same time period everyday.

My bad
Old 03-05-2008, 10:28 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

There are a couple of Muslim women who come to my cycle class twice a week and wear the head covering (and are otherwise dressed head to toe). I have no idea how they are not overheating to death, but it's good that they are working out.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:46 PM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
I don't see it as a big deal. According to the article the policy applies to only one relatively lightly used gym and it's for a very few hours a week.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:58 AM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

next thing you know, heterosexuals are going to demand separate showering facilities for homosexuals.

i think this is absurd. go running along the charles in your burka then.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:53 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:29 PM
Quote:

A trial of six hours a week at the least often used gym doesn't seem like much of an inconvenience to me. I might actually go to a gym if it had a policy like this, if I weren't incredibly cheap. And incredibly lazy.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:04 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

I see nothing wrong with it, we are all inconvenienced and/or accomodated in various ways on a daily basis. It's a gym, not a grocery store or an oxygen chamber. I can't feel all that sorry for Harvard students whining about something like this-get over it

As for the sexist angle well those are their religious beliefs and even though I think women are past that point there are also plenty of non-Muslim women who, as a matter of personal preference, don't feel comfortable working out with men.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:12 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

No, this is true. Not the pool at least, but would Muslim women living this strict to their religion swim in public? I'm just curious, I've never heard either way.

We had this "problem" with some Turkish students who didn't want to take part in the swimming exercises in school. Then, one person designed a swimming suit for girls that covers arms and legs either, which was a good compromise for most. Just one or two times I've read of a pool guard refusing to let those girls swim because they felt the suit wasn't safe enough. But as far as I know this was solved.

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

Right. Well I may have misunderstood you in that case.

You would therefore disapprove of the legal situation in, for example, Ireland, where if I opened a bar or restaurant, designated smoking and non-smoking sections, obtained written confirmations from all patrons and staff that they did not object to encountering tobacco smoke in the establishment, I'd still be breaking the law, and would be subject to heavy fines and/or having my establishment shut down by officers of the state?
They should reconsider that law in my eyes.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:04 AM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

i'm a gay man. female breasts make me uncomfortable. when they are exposed to me, as they are at public swimming pools and on beaches in Europe, i get uncomfortable.

there should be special hours for me to go swimming where i'm not in danger of being exposed to naked female breasts.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:07 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i'm a gay man. female breasts make me uncomfortable. when they are exposed to me, as they are at public swimming pools and on beaches in Europe, i get uncomfortable.

there should be special hours for me to go swimming where i'm not in danger of being exposed to naked female breasts.
I totally agree. Everyone will want seperate rules and accomodation now ( i know i would ).
Old 03-06-2008, 10:16 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

In the former GDR nudism was perfectly normal and many tourists on Rugia hence went around naked when at the beach.
Since the borders are open more and more west German tourists visited Rugia each year and demanded nudism to be abolished or strictly limited to certain parts of the beaches because the wouldn't accept to be around naked people.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:25 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

The facts that it's only a few hours a week and it's an intramural gym makes me think....who cares? Our intramural gym time is split up for various user groups, and we only have ONE gym. I don't like any of the groups/activities that have gym time....so I don't go, big deal. I don't care enough to whine like a baby and try to get the other activities canceled because they don't include me.

Maybe a better compromise would have been to open the gym for these women at a time it was previously closed, thus the others could not complain their time was being cut, but still....it's just a few hours.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:33 AM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje
The facts that it's only a few hours a week and it's an intramural gym makes me think....who cares?

looking at the practicalities of the situation, i can see that this might be possible and might not inconvenience anyone. and then so be it.

but from an ideological standpoint, i think it's kind of crap.

i'm sure that someone might make a killing with a Muslim-style Curves. if there's a demand, by all means, go for it.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:38 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
looking at the practicalities of the situation, i can see that this might be possible and might not inconvenience anyone. and then so be it.

but from an ideological standpoint, i think it's kind of crap.
Actually I agree I just don't see how anyone can care enough at this point. If people start abusing it and claiming they need private gym time for this reason or that reason, then yes, adopt an all-or-nothing policy, but so many universities have countless intramural groups and gyms set aside for specific use at allotted times and they get by just fine... They should either accommodate various groups/activities within reason, or not accommodate anyone. Our school had a women's volleyball intramural using the gym and the guys were upset so they started their own league.

To me there's a difference in wanting to have your own group and being denied while others aren't, and simply thinking something is a dumb idea and it shouldn't happen b/c of what you think. I think football is kinda dumb and will say so when asked, but that doesn't mean the football intramural should lose their time slots in the gym.