Happy Columbus Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
Hayy Columbus Day to all......

A day to reflect and celebrate the man who discovered America!!!!!

:mac:

that's funny.

i think columbus would have wanted us to close the stock market. then i wouldn't have to be here.

Screaming Flower said:
that's funny.

i think columbus would have wanted us to close the stock market. then i wouldn't have to be here.

haha..same here! don't they realize that we are missing out on all of the Columbus Day sales at the dept. stores. ;)

side note, i do not believe that i have ever had a day off to celebrate Columbus Day, not even when I was in school. :eyebrow:

Dreadsox said:
Happy Columbus Day to all......

I swear I typed the word Happy........

Hmmmmmm........

Dreadsox said:
Hayy Columbus Day to all......

Is this a real celebration in the USA ? :confused:

Rono~

Hmm...celebrated....no. It's more like...kids learn about Columbus, his journey, then continue that learning until Thankgiving when they learn how the Indians were so nice and we were so nice to them too. :crack:

I don't know about other states, Minnesota has Columbus day off for k-12 schools. And South Dakota has today off celebrating Native American day.

I should call the Yankton Reservation to see when this was named Native American day to see if it was on purpose.

And as far as Columbus wanting the stock markets closed...yeah, that's pretty much tghe exact opposite of all he wanted. :sexywink:

:ohmy: never to old to learn,.....

I think i will try to intoduce happy slavery day here in the Netherlands:der:

Thank you, Lilly.

Lilly said:
I don't know about other states, Minnesota has Columbus day off for k-12 schools.
we got off on columbus day back in florida, as well as here in tennessee.

ironically, i'm off college today, for my "fall break." but that lasts sunday-tuesday, so i doubt it's because of columbus day. just thought i's share.

As a proud Italian American, I am a little disappointed at the lack of respect Columbus is getting here.

Lilly, I know of abolutely any teacher in my district who teaches about Columbus from Columbus Day until Thanksgiving.

As a matter of fact, the only grade at the elementary level in the state of Massachusetts that spends a large amount of time on Columbus would be the 5th Grade.

We start with Prince Henry, Diaz, Dagama, Columbus....and then move into Cabot, Cortez, Pizzaro, Hudson....ect....

Columbus is one of the bunch.

As for your comments on Thanksgiving, I just spent my weekend giving a tour of the Plymouth area here in MA. Having studied at Plymouth Plantation and taken courses on the subject, I must say the Plantation did a nice job with their curent exhibit on Thanksgiving.

Maybe we can start a thread on that thought closer to the holiday. For now lets sit down, and celebrate that famous Italian....OK?

Re: hi iris.

Lilly said:
I'd also like to note that it's Native American Day.

Anyone else find that a little sick?

Yes I do it was Columbus Day first!!!!!!!

Dreadsox said:
As a proud Italian American, I am a little disappointed at the lack of respect Columbus is getting here.

Lilly, I know of abolutely any teacher in my district who teaches about Columbus from Columbus Day until Thanksgiving.

1. He went to the Spanish because the Portuguese were gaining ground. He knew he could get the Spanish to compete with Portugal. Italy was still only vague Citystates, so technically he's not even Italian ;)

2. We made boats out of construction paper. This was like in 3rd grade.

Well..I'm a Virginian and my kids are all home today.

I'm also a reservation born American Indian and I don't have a problem with Columbus Day...its more of an Italian pride thing now similar to St. Patrick's Day with the Irish.... and that doesn't bother me. Let them have their day.

I had ancestors at Plymouth Colony too btw...mom's side. There are a lot of mixed emotions here on Thanksgiving! :D

dream wanderer

Dreadsox said:

. For now lets sit down, and celebrate that famous Italian....OK?

Dread-
Somebody once told me Columbus was a Republican..any truth to tha?....:sexywink:

Happy Columbus Day boss:)
DB9
:dance:

dream wanderer said:

I'm also a reservation born American Indian and I don't have a problem with Columbus Day...its more of an Italian pride thing now similar to St. Patrick's Day with the Irish.... and that doesn't bother me. Let them have their day.

I had ancestors at Plymouth Colony too btw...mom's side. There are a lot of mixed emotions here on Thanksgiving! :D

dream wanderer

Dream, I am very curious now. What was the name of the family that came to Plymouth Colony? Were they on the Mayflower or did they come on another voyage?

Peace to all.

Dreadsox,

I have been doing genealogical research on my family line for my last name. They settled in Mass about 26 years after the Mayflower. Dorchester(spelling) I think, I'll have to look back at the spelling. By 1665 they were living in North Sudbury. My line of the family left North Sudbury in 1814 and moved to North Brookfield. But members of the family continued to live on the property in North Sudbury. Around 1843 the Ancestor I'm from moved from North Brookfield to Metropolis IL. From there the family spread out west and south. Although I don't know for sure, I may still have distant relatives that still live on the old property in North Sudbury. I have not been to Mass. yet and in fact just learned most of the above over the past few months. I know Sudbury is near Boston. Have you been there before?

STING2 said:
Dreadsox,

I have been doing genealogical research on my family line for my last name. They settled in Mass about 26 years after the Mayflower. Dorchester(spelling) I think, I'll have to look back at the spelling. By 1665 they were living in North Sudbury. My line of the family left North Sudbury in 1814 and moved to North Brookfield. But members of the family continued to live on the property in North Sudbury. Around 1843 the Ancestor I'm from moved from North Brookfield to Metropolis IL. From there the family spread out west and south. Although I don't know for sure, I may still have distant relatives that still live on the old property in North Sudbury. I have not been to Mass. yet and in fact just learned most of the above over the past few months. I know Sudbury is near Boston. Have you been there before?

I have not been to Sudbury, although I know where it is and I know they have a good school system. They would have been part of the Massachusetts Bay Colony which eventually took over Plymouth Colony. They most likely would have been Puritains, since the Mass. Bay Colony was infamous for their intolorance of others. That is why many left and moved to Rhode Island.

dream wanderer said:

dream wanderer

Here's where I see the irony:

Columbus ushered in Conquistadores and settlers...people who would massacre Native Americans.

I just thought it was an ironically chosen date, not like I have an issue with there being a Native American day.

Lilly said:

Here's where I see the irony:

Columbus ushered in Conquistadores and settlers...people who would massacre Native Americans.

I just thought it was an ironically chosen date, not like I have an issue with there being a Native American day.

:yes:

I believe it is totally intentional that the two days coincide.

Thanksgiving is a National Day of Mourning for the Native Americans as well.

:yes:

Kristie said:
As a proud Ericsson, I feel the need to point out Lief Ericsson got here first.
Thank you, that is all.

Haha!!!!! The poor Viking gets no HOLIDAY!!!!!!

:lol:

Peace to all

never count out minnesota

Kristie said:
As a proud Ericsson, I feel the need to point out Lief Ericsson got here first.
Thank you, that is all.

i :heart: you so much kristie!!! i got your uumm...package today. :D YAY! :hug:

and hey, let's not discount viking holidays, in minnesota, we've got them (read: leif ericsson festival). :D

Re: never count out minnesota

Lilly said:

and hey, let's not discount viking holidays, in minnesota, we've got them (read: leif ericsson festival). :D

Right....a football team......

Like the Redskins and the Chiefs......

Hmmmmm....... Very NOT PC!!!!!

Let's not forget that Minnesota is extremely Scandinavian. And there is Viking Festival, nothing to do with the football team, in May or something up north just before Bemidji.

And I don't think there are any applicable comparisons between the PC-ness of the Vikings and the Red Skins.

Lilly said:

And I don't think there are any applicable comparisons between the PC-ness of the Vikings and the Red Skins.

Aren't they representative of a group of people? Isn't that slightly offensive?

:huh:

Back
Top Bottom