Happy Canada Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Happy Canada Day to all!!!

As an American I admit my public education was remiss when it comes to Canada.

I have tried to bring myself up to speed by educating myself.

Canada's contributions seemed to be overlooked by many.

Seems like Americans aren't the only people who don't know much about great Canadians.

"In 1996, when Canadians were asked to name both the greatest living and the all-time greatest Canadian, 76 percent said "no one comes to mind." Another survey showed them to believe that the most famous Canadian was Pamela Anderson, star of America's Baywatch. When Canadians were asked to name their favorite song, they settled on one by a good Canadian band, The Guess Who. The song: "American Woman."

I'd post the source on this but its a pay for site and it keeps asking for a log in. Plus, it's from an article in The Weekly Standard so I am sure the stats will be discounted because its from a right leaning publication.

Last edited:
the way things are going, Canada is a world leader in progressive legislation that recognizes the rights of all people (especially compred to the reactionary, regressive tendencies of its southern neighbor).

that's certainly something to be proud of.

also: Margaret Atwood, Michael Ondaatje.

Happy Belated Birthday.

And Neil Young! Joni Mitchell, Hockey, Canadian skaters, Peter Jennings, Scott Young, Farley Mowat, my grandfather:wink: I'll be in Ottowa next weekend.

Love Canada.

Irvine511 said:
the way things are going, Canada is a world leader in progressive legislation that recognizes the rights of all people.

You know, a lot of folks mock our heavy use of coin denomination instead of the more common bill currency.

I say to them... How else can Canada maintain its position as a world leader in Change?

:sexywink:

Pinball Wizard said:
You know, a lot of folks mock our heavy use of coin denomination instead of the more common bill currency.

I say to them... How else can Canada maintain its position as a world leader in Change?

:faint: i have no words. you are AMAZING.

Originally posted by Irvine511
also: Margaret Atwood
best. author. ever. :up:

and keifer and donald sutherland, curling, lacrosse (although the ojibwae in minnesota invented it first), many fine films we like to think were filmed in the US, bunny hugs, loonies and twonies, rachel perry, arcade fire (though the lead singer is texan), craig baxter, paul martin, barenaked ladies, avril lavigne, sum 41, nickelback, celine dion

the list just gets better and better, folks

trevster2k said:
Today we celebrate Canada's birthday, our history, our people and our diversity.

Let me remind you that the unholy trinity of pop music is entirely Canadian: Celine Dion, Alanis Morrissette and Shania Twain.

bonoman said:
Dont forget Tommy Douglas, The Greatest Canadian EVER!

This is kind of sad. Not only do I know who he is, but I even watched the episode where he was declared the "Greatest Canadian."

(I was pushing for Trudeau. :sexywink: )

Melon

Pinball Wizard said:

Have you ever seen the sheer amount of coins that the British have? Gotta love their two pence coins. As if carrying two pennies was too big of a deal.

Melon

Re: Re: Happy Canada Day

speedracer said:
Let me remind you that the unholy trinity of pop music is entirely Canadian: Celine Dion, Alanis Morrissette and Shania Twain.
how about the holy trinity of indie music:

the arcade fire, broken social scene, and stars.

:drool:

Back
Top Bottom