Hannah Montana Topless In Vanity Fair - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2008, 10:27 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:23 PM
Hannah Montana Topless In Vanity Fair

You can't say no to Annie? I think you can-her parents were at the photo shoot. She's 15-and obviously Vanity Fair readership isn't the Hannah Montana fan base. So why would adults be interested in a picture like that, and wouldn't that be creepy? Who here would want their 15 year old daughter looking like that in a magazine?

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/fe...06/miley200806

NY Times

April 28, 2008
Revealing Photo Threatens a Major Disney Franchise
By BROOKS BARNES

LOS ANGELES — Fifteen years old, topless and wrapped in what appears to be a satin bedsheet in the June issue of Vanity Fair. Did Miley Cyrus, with the help of a controversy-courting magazine, just deliver a blow to the Walt Disney Company’s billion-dollar “Hannah Montana” franchise?

Some parents reacted with outrage over the weekend when the television program “Entertainment Tonight” began showing commercials promoting a scoop: Ms. Cyrus, the star of the wholesome Disney Channel blockbuster “Hannah Montana,” had posed topless, albeit with her chest covered, for the Vanity Fair photographer, Annie Leibovitz.

Screen grabs of the photo quickly popped up online, sparking a blogosphere debate. “Bonfire anyone?” wrote Lin Burress on her marriage and parenting blog, Telling It Like It Is, referring to the mountain of Hannah Montana retail items — makeup, shoes, clothes — in the marketplace. “Parents should be extremely concerned,” Ms. Burress said in an interview. “Very young girls look up to Miley Cyrus as a role model.”

It is doubtful that one photograph — especially one that is tame in the context of an Internet awash in nude photographs of other starlets — could dent the Hannah Montana machine, said several Wall Street analysts. Retail sales for the franchise are expected to total about $1 billion in 2008. A motion picture is in the works for 2009 and Ms. Cyrus signed a seven-figure book deal with the Disney Book Group last week.

But keeping a teenage entertainment franchise on track in an age when stars are monitored around the clock by bloggers and paparazzi is extremely difficult, even for a company with the experience of Disney. Executives are constantly battling to keep minor slipups from growing into full-blown controversies.

Last week, the public relations problem du jour was a green bra; photos online showing Ms. Cyrus pulling away her tank top to flash her underwear.

Ms. Cyrus and the “Hannah Montana” series have been championed as one of the few entertainment sanctuaries for children, complicating matters. Last month, Ms. Cyrus was chosen favorite television actress at Nickelodeon’s “Kids’ Choice Awards.”

More than 3 million viewers regularly watch “Hannah Montana,” most of them age 6 to 14.

Media outlets, in particular the rabid celebrity-focused tabloids, have been pushing to capture new angles of the ubiquitous Ms. Cyrus. After popping up everywhere from the Academy Awards to “American Idol” in recent months, the only photos of her that are assured of selling are controversial ones.

A Disney spokeswoman, Patti McTeague, faulted Vanity Fair for the photo. “Unfortunately, as the article suggests, a situation was created to deliberately manipulate a 15-year-old in order to sell magazines,” she said.

The article, written by Bruce Handy, seems to support that claim, quoting Ms. Cyrus as saying, “Annie took, like, a beautiful shot, and I thought it was really cool. That’s what she wanted me to do, and you can’t say no to Annie.” She also said of the photo, “I think it’s really artsy. It wasn’t in a skanky way.”

Ms. Cyrus had a different view in a prepared statement released on Sunday:

“I took part in a photo shoot that was supposed to be ‘artistic’ and now, seeing the photographs and reading the story, I feel so embarrassed. I never intended for any of this to happen and I apologize to my fans who I care so deeply about.”

Beth Kseniak, a spokeswoman for both Vanity Fair magazine and Ms. Leibovitz said, “Miley’s parents and/or minders were on the set all day. Since the photo was taken digitally, they saw it on the shoot and everyone thought it was a beautiful and natural portrait of Miley.”

At the very least, Ms. Cyrus and her advisers do not seem to be on the same page as Disney. The company learned of the photo only when “Entertainment Tonight” started showing its promos.

Last week, Gary Marsh, the president of entertainment for Disney Channel Worldwide, was quoted in Portfolio magazine saying, “For Miley Cyrus to be a ‘good girl’ is now a business decision for her. Parents have invested in her a godliness. If she violates that trust, she won’t get it back.”

Old 04-28-2008, 10:33 AM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Oh noez!

Old 04-28-2008, 11:06 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:23 PM
Its a tasteful picture, but I could understand why parents of very young children would be concerned that their child's role model may be breaking away from her "good girl" image. Young kids don't always have descent role models (Britney Spears for example, when she first started with that music video), so if I were a parent I'd wonder how far Miley would be going. But then again, the photo is in good taste and not vulgar, so I wouldn't also be disturbed that my five year old looks up to Miley, and I'd also take her to see "Hannah Montana" the movie.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:11 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Re: Hannah Montana Topless In Vanity Fair

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
You can't say no to Annie? I think you can-her parents were at the photo shoot. She's 15-and obviously Vanity Fair readership isn't the Hannah Montana fan base. So why would adults be interested in a picture like that, and wouldn't that be creepy? Who here would want their 15 year old daughter looking like that in a magazine?

Yeah, I've seen videos of Annie Leibovitz photographing and she is not too friendly. But then again, why did the parents allow that? If that were me posing like that, my dad would've grabbed me and storm out of the photo shoot. Sounds like the parents are are not too assertive at the times when they should be.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

I don't think the photo is vulgar either, but I still don't think it's appropriate for a 15 year old girl in a magazine. I guess they have to keep pushing the envelope-the magazine and the parents.

It's clear from the behind the scenes feature on the VF web site that she's posed in the sheet-so what did they think, that it would just be a shot of her face?

If she's a role model to kids/teens, I would want a 15 year old to be able to assert herself enough to say no to a picture like that.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Like I said, it does make you wonder what kind of parents Miley has -- are they weird free spirits, passive, or is Miley herself trying to break away from her good girl image and her parents are with her on it.

And I also take back what I said about not being disturbed with Miley being a role model if I were to have young kids. I would be disturbed. Even though the pic is in good taste, it is not appropriate for a young girl to see. She's seeing her role model posing suggestively and she may get the wrong idea on how a girl should be.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:35 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Were they trying to make it look like she was dead? A little color in the skin would go a long way.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:41 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:23 AM
This is nowhere near as disturbing as the last picture I saw in Vanity Fair

Christopher Hitchens topless

Old 04-28-2008, 12:14 PM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

in reality this is quite tame compared to what many kids (both sexes) her age do with their webcams and cell phones while mommy and daddy aren't watching.

once again, it all comes down to parenting.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:25 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

I'm pretty sure there is an "Achy-Breaky Heart" joke in there somewhere...

Seriously though, what is the deal with the sexualizing of children these days?
Old 04-28-2008, 12:58 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

gonna be a good harvest this year.

seriously though... when is it a sexual and when is it a picture of innocence? is it in the eyes of the beholder?

is this sexual?

Old 04-28-2008, 01:21 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by elevated_u2_fan

Seriously though, what is the deal with the sexualizing of children these days?
Word.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:00 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:23 AM
this is silly and stupid

so I imagine it will be the top of news cycles for days and days

the sanctimonious will have their field day
Old 04-28-2008, 02:11 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:23 AM
Antonella Barba on American Idol had topless pictures

the title of this thread is completely bogus
Old 04-28-2008, 02:16 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
Oh noez!

I hope you are not expressing scepticism of our latest FYM moral panic.