Hamas PM orders gunmen off of the streets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
Hamas PM orders gunmen off the streets after clashes
Sunday, April 2, 2006

Gaza shooting chaos hands Hamas first internal crisis

GAZA - Reuters

Palestinian Prime Minister and Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh on Saturday ordered all gunmen and security forces involved in deadly clashes in the Gaza Strip to get off the streets.

Gunbattles between police and militants on Friday, during which three people died, posed a major challenge for Islamist militant group Hamas days after it took over running the Palestinian government.

Clashes broke out when members of the Popular Resistance Committees (PRC), an umbrella group of militants that often fires rockets into Israel, accused Palestinian security forces close to President Mahmoud Abbas of helping Israel kill a top member of their faction in a car blast.

Israel's army denied involvement in the explosion.

Haniyeh said his government, which beat Abbas's Fatah in a January election and now controls tens of thousands of security officers, had decided to remove gunmen from the streets in order to end tension.

"What happened was dangerous and must not be repeated," Haniyeh told reporters.

"The culture that dominated the Palestinian street in past years is a culture that needs time in order to turn into a culture that keeps law and order and does not resort to using arms under any condition," he added.

The PRC said it had agreed to follow Haniyeh's call.

The troubles in Gaza followed a general increase in violence. A suicide bomber killed four Israelis in the West Bank on Thursday. Israel has carried out repeated strikes on what it said were rocket launch sites in Gaza.

Hamas, an Islamic group sworn to Israel's destruction and which has carried out about 60 suicide bombings against the Jewish state since 2000, has largely avoided involvement in internal Palestinian fighting.

Although Hamas has largely respected a truce for the past year, it has refused to give up its own weapons and renounce violence, as demanded by Israel, the United States and other major powers.

Tension has risen between Hamas and Fatah since the Jan. 25 election ended decades of domination over Palestinian politics by Abbas's movement.

One Fatah-affiliated militant group, the Knights of the Tempest, called on the government to bring Palestinians suspected of cooperating with Israel to justice, or they would opt to chase them and "bring to trial" the people themselves.

Last edited:
I really don't know that much about Hamas except that they're suicide bombers. There doesn't seem to be that much information about them out there in English. Maybe I just haven't read the right stuff.

Didn't we already go through this whole song and dance with the PLO who eventually with Yasser Arafat ended up visiting the White House and participating in the political process albeit to no avail.

verte76 said:
I really don't know that much about Hamas except that they're suicide bombers. There doesn't seem to be that much information about them out there in English. Maybe I just haven't read the right stuff.

As someone who has lived under the cloud of Hamas terrorism for over 10 years, let me answer your question to the best of my knowledge (and if my memory serves me correctly).

In October 1987, an Israeli driver accidentaly ran over and killed 4 Palestinians in the Gaza area. As a result, the Palestinian extremists started rioting over this accident which they claimed was deliberate (which of course wasn't true). The rioting then spread from Gaza to the West Bank towns and ultimately grew into what became known as the first "Intifada" ("Uprising").

This Intifada resulted in the establishment of the Hamas party led by spiritual leader Sheikh Ahmeh Yassin. Hamas is comprised of two wings - political and military. The military wing is named "The brigades of Iz Adin Al Kassam (who was an Islamic holy man).

The first Intifada "ended" in September 1993 with the signing of the Oslo accords between the Israelis and Palestinians. However, Hamas refused to recognize these accords and even escalated their terrorist activities by starting a wave a deadly suicide bombings which began in 1993 and cost the lives of hundreds of Israelis.

These suicide bombings were carried out by the Iz Adin Al Kassam brigades led by Mohammed Def (who remains Israel's No.1 most wanted man) and a terrorist known as "The Engineer", who specialized in preparing these suicide bombs. "The Engineer" was killed by a booby-trapped mobile phone and Israeli forces killed most of the leaders of the IAAK brigades (except for Mohammed Def who remains at large despite many attempts by Israel to kill him).

The political wing of Hamas is led by the people you see in the news these days - Mahmoud A-Zahar, Ismael Haniya (the new Palestinian PM) and overseas politicians such as Khaled Mash'al, who survived a botched assasination attempt by Israel in Jordan a few years ago, resulting in the release of Hamas spiritual leader Shekh Ahmed Yassin from the Israeli jail in exchange for the Mossad agents who were captured in Jordan.
Sheikh Yassin was later assasinated by Israeli forces.

In September 2000, the 2nd "Intifada" broke out following the visit by former Israeli PM Ariel Sharon to the holy temple mount in Jerusalem. The Palestinians saw this visit as an attempt by Israel to "take over" the mount (site of the Dome Of The Rock and the Al-Aktza Mosque). Again, wide-spread rioting caused casualties and a new wave of suicide bombings (as well as drive-by shootings) occured. This time, Yasser Arafat's "Fatah" party joined in the hostilities and rendered useless all the agreements reached in 1993.

Hamas created an additional military wing called the "Al-Aktza brigades" (named afer the Al-Aktza Mosque).

This Intifada effectively ended with Arafat's death, however Hamas has committed itself to the destruction of Israel and to the continuation of hostilities.

I hope this information was usefull to you.

verte76 said:
I suggest that you search up the Hamas covenant, it should give you a good idea of the agenda of the organisation and it's long term goals.

Two days ago Hamas leader Mahmoud al-Zahar said this
"I dreams of hanging a huge map of the world on the wall at my Gaza home which does not show Israel on it,” he said. “I hope that our dream to have our independent state on all historic Palestine (including Israel).”

“This dream will become real one day. I’m certain of this because there is no place for the state of Israel on this land,” said al-Zahar.
The UN accepts the more moderate diplomacy of the terrorist group and overlooks these statements time and time again
UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - The Palestinians’ new Hamas foreign minister has written U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan referring to a “two-state solution” for the Middle East, a conciliatory phrase the world should take note of, a top Palestinian diplomat said on Tuesday.

In his first letter to Annan, Mahmoud al-Zahar, a leading Hamas figure, also refers to the Palestinians hope to “live in peace and security ... side by side with our neighbors in this sacred part of the world.”

Palestinian U.N. Observer Riyad Mansour, speaking to reporters at U.N. headquarters, said of the letter’s choice of words, “This is important,” hinting they showed an evolution in Hamas thinking.
source

Taqiya is an art best practiced against willing believers :|

Hamas has an agenda like everybody else, for the Palestinians it is an Islamic state where non-Muslims live as dhimmis in the Sharia state. For the Israelis Hamas just wants to "drive them into the sea". Hopefully they can be honest about their aims and objectives to the world and be held accountable for their actions.

It is good to be a Kafir!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom