haliburton + cheney = scumbags?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
f*uck the axis of evil

we love money

US Halliburton wins gas contract in Iran despite sanctions

TEHRAN, Jan 10 (AFP) -

Iran said Monday that US oil giant Halliburton had won a major contract to drill for gas, despite US sanctions against foreign investment in the country's energy industry. "Halliburton and Oriental Kish (an Iranian company) are the final winners of the tender for drilling South Pars phases 9 and 10," Pars Oil and Gas Company managing director Akbar Torkan said, according to state television. An unnamed Pars company board member said the deal for the gas fields in the Gulf off the south coast of Iran was worth about 310 million dollars.

He said Halliburton had not directly signed the contract but that it had offered its services via Oriental Kish. Under a law introduced in 1996, the United States threatens sanctions on both American and foreign companies investing more than 40 million dollars in Iran's petroleum industry. Halliburton, once chaired by US Vice President Dick Cheney, has come under investigation in the United States for its dealings with Iran through a Cayman Islands subsidiary.

Washington broke diplomatic ties with Tehran after Iranian university students stormed its mission in Tehran in 1980 and took diplomats hostage for 444 days. The United States also accuses Iran of covertly trying to develop nuclear weapons, a charge vehemently denied by Tehran. Iran, which is OPEC's second largest oil exporter, also has the world's second largest gas reserves. Phases 9 and 10 of South Pars, operated jointly by South Korean and Iranian companies, are expected to produce 50 million cubic meters (1.8 billion cubic feet) of natural gas, 80,000 barrels of condensates and 400 tons of sulfur a day.

In addition, the phases are expected to produce each year one million tons of ethane for petrochemical feedstock and 1.05 million tons of liquefied petroleum gas for export. Iran hopes to boost gas output from 110 billion cubic meters a year in 2000 to 292 billion cubic meters in 2010. Gas accounts for about one third of Iran's domestic energy consumption.

My friends and I have been banging on about this for ages.

Here's something that sums up Dick Cheney succinctly. Don't know if you've seen it before? It was very popular in our house during the US elections.

http://media.musicforamerica.org/media/pjab04.html

The first 20 seconds is just an introduction and is boring... but the rest is great!

Ps. I'd be interested to know what you think of it!

Last edited:
haliburton + cheney = scumbags?

You need a question mark?

I must have my facts wrong.

I thought Cheny no longer worked for them.

The thread title seems to imply otherwise......

He's still receiving deferred compensation based on current profits, so yes technically he is.

They are also under investigation for having contracts wit Iran when he was President through the cayman islands.

Definitely a scumbag.

This is awsome...... y'all keep chasing the Halliburton windmill and we'll keep winning elections!

Sorry ... just trying to mix things up when I see too many people agreeing with each other! I guess I'll have to tone down the sarcasm.

But I do wish the Halliburton thing would just die. Ir's not going anywhere. At least the Republicans had a number of Clinton scandals (founded or unfounded) to choose from. Come to think of it, there's a brand new one developing.

Hliburton has killed thousands of people with the asbestos products they produced and sold.
Eventhough the company is making billions on the Irag war, They have filed for bankruptcy so they don't have to pay money to the victims or their families.
Most people dont' know about this unless they are involved in the litigation. I really wish a reporter would investigate this and get out to the public. I can't help thinking Pres. Bush has a hand in this as well. It makes me sick how these big compaines get away with murder! Specifically, the murder of my father who died of asbestos cancer three years ago.

Last edited:
Halliburton didn't murder anyone. Any real dirt on Halliburton would have been exposed by Mary Mapes and Dan Rather in a big 60 minutes piece right before the election. Trust me, your "Hot shot" reporters are investigating this and coming up with nothing.

Halliburton employees, however, have been murdered by terrorists in Iraq.

drhark said:
Halliburton didn't murder anyone. Any real dirt on Halliburton would have been exposed by Mary Mapes and Dan Rather in a big 60 minutes piece right before the election. Trust me, your "Hot shot" reporters are investigating this and coming up with nothing.

Halliburton employees, however, have been murdered by terrorists in Iraq.

Halliburton produced and sold asbestos products knowing that the products caused cancer. People have died as a direct result. Yes, that is murder.

Yes, you are correct, not in a court of law. In principal, however, it is still murder and they should be accountable.

Last edited:
I can't comment as I don't know the specifics. I am not familiar with any class action lawsuit against Halliburton. If you have a link to such info, I'll give it a read

You mean liable. Murder is a term of art requiring specific intent.

Decades of litigation are still resolving that issue.

I am sorry for the loss of your father. A good friend of mine died of asbestor cancer as well.

drhark said:
I can't comment as I don't know the specifics. I am not familiar with any class action lawsuit against Halliburton. If you have a link to such info, I'll give it a read
Haliburton is part of, as far as I know, most class action lawsuits regarding asbestos because they were a major manufactuer of asbestos and asbestos related materials. Some Others include: Dow Chemical, Exxon, and Standard Oil. I don't of any links.

thanks to deep for starting this thread and thank you to the others in this thread that have the courage in the current US political climate to speak the truth about one of the most distasteful excuses for a US political figure that I have seen in my lifetime.

With Dick Cheney, the lines between private monopoly capitalist and US vice president have become too blurred - and that is not good for any of us!

:tsk:

The lines are blurred and more so now that the President has an agenda to stop familes who have lost loved ones to asbestos cancer from receiving compensation from these billion dollar companies who have caused people to die. The same companies who became rich on selling the asbestos products. Such as, Haliburton.

Back
Top Bottom