Hagel: Iraq War destablized Middle East, resembles Vietnam - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2005, 05:29 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

I believe so.

But it appears the other side has the monopoly on 'facts'.
Right.....

Old 08-24-2005, 05:40 PM   #32
Refugee

Local Time: 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

Right.....
OK, so you want to talk about "the facts?" The most obvious fact is that there were no Weapons of Mass Destruction. That's right, the number one "reason" given by Cheney et al for invading Iraq was that Iraq supposedly was a threat to its neighbors (and the US) because it had massive stockpiles of these WMDs.

But there were no WMDs. So either some individuals in the US governemnt were lying, or they were incompetent. Either way, they need to be held accountable for their serious actions. And that's a fact.

Old 08-24-2005, 05:48 PM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by starvinmarvin

OK, so you want to talk about "the facts?" The most obvious fact is that there were no Weapons of Mass Destruction. That's right, the number one "reason" given by Cheney et al for invading Iraq was that Iraq supposedly was a threat to its neighbors (and the US) because it had massive stockpiles of these WMDs.

But there were no WMDs. So either some individuals in the US governemnt were lying, or they were incompetent. Either way, they need to be held accountable for their serious actions. And that's a fact.
Then every other intelligence agency in the world was wrong to, as was the prior administration.

Incompentant, maybe....not impeachable.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:56 PM   #34
Refugee

Quote:

Then every other intelligence agency in the world was wrong to, as was the prior administration.

Incompentant, maybe....not impeachable.
The difference between the USA and most of the major military powers in the world was that the USA initiated military action against Iraq based on these false assumptions. The others were wise enough to wait until conclusive proof was brought to light.

Look, Saddam WANTED everyone to believe that he had these weapons. If anyone knew how weak he truly was, Iraq would have been invaded by neighboring countries ten years prior, not to mention the US. But the point is that he was bluffing, and certain individuals in the US government WANTED to believe he was a huge threat to justify the invasion of Iraq. there is no doubt about it.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:57 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

The difference between the USA and most of the major military powers in the world was that the USA initiated military action against Iraq based on these false assumptions. The others were wise enough to wait until conclusive proof was brought to light.

Look, Saddam WANTED everyone to believe that he had these weapons. If anyone knew how weak he truly was, Iraq would have been invaded by neighboring countries ten years prior, not to mention the US. But the point is that he was bluffing, and certain individuals in the US government WANTED to believe he was a huge threat to justify the invasion of Iraq. there is no doubt about it.
I had a thread in the War area two years ago, basically presenting the argument that Saddam wanted the world to think that as well......

i am glad his bluff was called.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:09 PM   #36
Refugee

Quote:

I had a thread in the War area two years ago, basically presenting the argument that Saddam wanted the world to think that as well......

i am glad his bluff was called.
Why? So that you could feel safe that the "boogyman" is in his cage now?

Unfortunately, an entirely more destructive, insidious boogyman has been unleashed by the invasion of Iraq. That monster is called Islamic extremism, and this beast is even more of a threat than it was prior to 9-11. The US occupation of Iraq has destabalized the entire middle east, and has made the rest of the world a far more dangerous place. It's easy to see why this has happened. The US was UNJUST in invading Iraq, and now Musilm fundamentalists can point to it and say "here's proof that the evildoers are out to destroy Islam!" America now has more enemies than ever before, and this is unfortunate, because the majority of the American people mean no harm towards Arabs.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:15 PM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Why? So that you could feel safe that the "boogyman" is in his cage now?
Oh yes....that is it....thanks for the intelligent discusion....
Old 08-24-2005, 06:24 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:55 PM
Quote:
Oh yes....that is it....thanks for the intelligent discusion....
time to get out the violins.....again....
Old 08-24-2005, 06:27 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

time to get out the violins.....again....

Where is my troll spray?
Old 08-24-2005, 06:30 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Where is my troll spray?
Probably beside your '300 easy ways to back out of a debate' self-help book...
Old 08-24-2005, 06:33 PM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Probably beside your '300 easy ways to back out of a debate' self-help book...
ROFL....I could have saved myself a lot of time in here if I had that book....

However,,,,,,my beautiful bride is calling me,,,,and that is WAAAAYYYY more important than this conversation.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:34 PM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
However,,,,,,my beautiful bride is calling me,,,,and that is WAAAAYYYY more important than this conversation.
Agreed.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:10 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

Saddam had a military force of over 400,000 , nearly 3,000 main battle tanks, over 2,000 artillery pieces, 400 combat aircraft and at some point, and probably thousands of stocks of WMD although such material has not been found. Simply, Saddam had the largest military force in the Persian Gulf region and it was considerably larger than anything Kuwait or Saudi Arabia could muster. The threat was serious and it was absolutely necessary for the security of the region and the world that Saddam be removed. The fact that Saddam had failed to verifiably disarm of all WMD was not a false assumption, it was a fact. The United States was not the only country that took part in the coalition invasion either.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:48 AM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

this doesn't really fit in perfectly here,sorry..but to avoid starting a thread

Bill Moyer, 73, wears a "Bullshit Protector" flap over his ear while President George W. Bush addresses the Veterans of Foreign Wars

Old 08-25-2005, 10:58 AM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

The United States was not the only country that took part in the coalition invasion either.
No, but along with Britain, the U.S. was the only major country heavily involved in this supposed coalition.

Not much of a coalition if you ask me.