Ha ha, boobies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
With this whole Janet Jackson / Bono / FCC thing going overboard to the point where even someone like me who was defending them in the first couple of days after the "incidents" is getting sick and tired of it... I bring to you a commentary from Anthony Cummia of the now defunct Opie & Anthony radio show about the recent FCC Indecency Hearings. I thought it was a great read with a lot of very good points... so I decided to share with the class.

I watched the entire Broadcast Decency Enforcement hearing the other day on CSPAN. It went on for about 8 hours and by the time it was over I had to fight the urge to run head first into my television set.

The Subcommittee on Telecommunications and the Internet listened to testimony from witnesses including NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue, Viacom COO Mel Karmazin and the 5 FCC commissioners headed by Chairman Michael Powell. You may ask ?what was the noble mission of these proceedings?? To protect the American people?from Janet Jackson?s right breast. It doesn?t stop there though. Apparently we need protection from just about everything that airs on TV and radio.

I?ve never had a reason to sit through 8 hours of a congressional hearing before, but I figured if I?m going to be part of their conversation, I should pony up and take the pain. The committee members started out by taking turns asking Tagliabue and Karmazin if anyone from Viacom or The NFL, had any prior knowledge that Janet Jackson was going to expose a breast during the Super bowl halftime show. Tagliabue and Karmazin did their best Sgt. Shultz impressions ?I know nothing?NOTHING!? Karmazin, like a lieutenant after a mission?s gone bad, did accept responsibility due to the fact that it happened on his watch. Wait a minute. We are talking about a ? second long clip of a partially covered breast here, right? Ok. Sorry, with a congressional hearing and denials of prior knowledge and claims of responsibility I was getting this confused with Watergate or the Pentagon Papers or the Challenger explosion or 9/11 or ANYTHING besides a ? of a second clip of a partially covered breast on TV.

I believe Tagliabue and Karmazin when they said no one from the NFL or Viacom knew Janet was going to let one pop out. This is one of those situations that Opie and I have been in many times. It?s called ?It seemed like a good idea at the time?. If you?re in the entertainment business it?s all about getting and keeping your name out there. Don?t blame the entertainers for this one folks. The entertainment industry becomes more and more competitive every year. If you don?t get the press and stay in the public eye you?re done. This is just the nature of the beast. If you want to work for any length of time you better make your wheels squeak. When an opportunity comes around to have your name and face splashed across the media you go for it. This tactic is even used by the press itself. Look at how many times the news ran the Janet clip. Most of the time these ?stunts? result in the publicity push you were going for. Sometimes, well, it seemed like a good idea at the time. This incident was Janet Jackson deciding to take the leap. Maybe at the advice of one of her people or on her own but there is no way that the NFL or Viacom would have green lighted what she did.

Just when the monotony of the questions was making me want to stick a pair of scissors in my ear the microphone was given to committee member Heather Wilson the Republican representative from New Mexico. As Bugs Bunny once told Daffy after he blew himself up on stage, ?What a performance Doc! What a performance!? Ms. Wilson told the room how her family ?is real restrictive about television watching? and how her 4th grade son had to ask for ?special permission? to watch the Superbowl. Special permission? Gee, thanks mom! With utter disgust on her face and in her voice she told everyone how even before halftime she had to hear about ?The farting horses? making reference to one of the commercials that aired. This was a great opportunity for her to take a well-rehearsed jab at how Madison Ave. aims its humor towards 4th graders. Wow, farting horses. Get to your fallout shelters people! What the hell is this country coming to?

She continues with a story of a phone conversation with her 4th grader the day after the Super bowl. Rep. Wilson was now speaking directly to Mel Karmazin as she went on about how her young son had asked her, ?without any prompting?, if she saw the halftime show. Yeah, right. Give me a break. Her whole story was playing out like one of those Goddamn Lifetime movies. Ms. Wilson told her son that she had seen the halftime show and asked him what he thought about it. The boy answered, ?I thought it was nasty?. This is where her voice starts to crack a bit. By the way, any 4th grader asked by his mom what he thought about seeing a boobie is going to say something like ?it was nasty?. It?s embarrassing.

My favorite part of Ms Wilson?s act was when she said, in an emotional cracking voice, how her son and the other 4th graders knew this was somehow wrong. She looked right at Mel and asked, ?If 4th grade children at a public school in Albuquerque New Mexico know right from wrong where did you corporate CEOs lose your way!? Right then and there Mel should have pulled out Bill Paxton?s line from ?Aliens?: ?So why don?t you put her in charge!?

Listening to this bullshit story was making me sick. It?s a story. She made this crap up. I was a 4th grade boy once. I know how 4th grade boys react to these things. They laugh. That?s all. They talk about it with their friends and laugh their asses off. No need to phone the shrink. No need to dump Prozac down his throat. No embarrassing talks needed. You know what the worse thing you can do to a 4th grader in this situation is? Have his mommy go on TV and start crying and yelling at some man about how damaging this is to your family. The 4th grader won?t understand what the big deal is because, remember, it?s funny to him (ha, ha boobies!) and he?ll think something must be wrong because mommy is acting like a lunatic who?s having a nervous breakdown crying on national television.

The fact of the matter is things like the Janet Jackson breast shot doesn?t offend children it offends some of the parents. For years, people who said they were offended by radio or TV shows were told to turn the dial and shut up. Those people smartened up. Now they complain in the name of America?s children so you can?t argue the point or you?re some kind of kid destroying child-hating monster.

You know the other type of person who loves using the children as an excuse? The failed parent. The entertainment industry is the best scapegoat there is for failed parents. ?If it wasn?t for all the sex on TV my daughter wouldn?t be a slut?. ?My son does drugs because they show people doing drugs on TV?. ?MTV Jackass killed my kid!? It?s perfect. You don?t even need any facts to back it up. ?TV wrecked my family?. Oh, ok.

When the committee finally realized they could only get so much mileage out of a ? of a second clip of a partially exposed breast on TV, they moved on to the other horrible things out there on the airwaves. Talk radio. I got a hell of a kick out of the committee discussing The Opie and Anthony Show. Not for the reasons you might think. I was enjoying the disgust with which they would bring up the St. Pats incident and tell the room how they ?were going to read the transcript but it?s just to crude and disgusting and?blah, blah, blah.?

It reminded me of the student probation-hearing scene in Animal House when Douglas Neidermeyer says of the Delta house toga party, ?We have received 2 dozen reports of individual acts of perversion so profound and disgusting that decorum prohibits listing them here.?

They very well could have read the Sex for Sam transcripts. We were within the FCC guidelines during that broadcast. For those who don?t know by now there was no ?steamy sex? broadcast from St. Pats as some of you might have read. There was no ?pew rocking sex? broadcast live by Opie and Anthony as was reported in the press. There was no ?blow by blow description of sex broadcast from St. Pats? as was also reported. What was broadcast from St. Pats? Hold on to your hat?s here it is: ?We?re in St. Pats and he?s doing the balloon knot.?

This is what was broadcast from St. Pats. That?s it. No really, that?s it. The press ran with the story that we had broadcast some kind of graphic sexually explicit description of a couple having sex at St. Pats. That is a flat out lie. ?We?re in St. Pats and he?s doing the balloon knot? doesn?t make for a hot news story. It?s not steamy or pew rocking so they just printed what they thought would sound better. ?Steamy sex broadcast live from St Pats.? and similar headlines.

Within days Michael Powell and the FCC was all over this. Powell was crafting an FCC response based on nothing more then inaccurate news accounts of the broadcast. He hadn?t even heard the show yet! The complaints the FCC was getting were not from people who heard the show but from people who heard the news reports of the show. Michael Powell was threatening Infinity Broadcasting with fines and revocation of a broadcast license based on nothing more then second hand news accounts.

By the time the FCC received the recordings and transcripts of the show they had painted themselves into a corner. Now they had to react big because they had already said they would. They couldn?t tell the people who, to this day, think we broadcast a live sex act from St. Pats that the show actually fell within FCC guidelines. This is why, as Mel Karmazin said during the hearing, Infinity has not paid the St. Pats broadcast fine and will continue fighting it. It was not indecent as it was broadcast. The idea behind that show was tasteless and awful and offended people?s faith and morality but the broadcast itself was not indecent and that?s what the FCC is supposed to be looking at.

So go ahead and read those transcripts committee members. You?ll have a bunch of people scratching their heads going huh? What? Fans of The Opie and Anthony Show understood what we were saying but anyone else would have needed the enigma decoder to figure it out. We knew the situation we were in being a controversial radio show. We had to toe a tighter line then the other shows that weren?t getting the ratings and attention we were getting. And we did. We took great care to speak in a certain way that fell well within FCC guidelines. It seems now that isn?t good enough. If, during an investigation, the FCC is told that ?balloon knot? means something they consider offensive they will treat it as if it was the offensive word. Who the hell is that protecting? This is a perfect example of how members of the FCC are now making decisions based on their own morality and standards and not the laws. Dangerous stuff.

Are you thinking ?Well, at least we have cable TV and satellite radio.? :BZZZzzz: Wrong! After building up a little head of steam and feeling good about this entertainment bash fest the committee starts asking the FCC commissioners if they would like to be given the ability to regulate cable television and satellite radio to which the commissioners said sure, bring it on. Excuse me? Pay services regulated by the FCC. Here?s some thing I assumed every idiot could do. Lock out channels with your remote. I assumed wrong. If these morons, who are screaming to have anything even remotely adult oriented removed from television, would take a few minutes to learn how to work more than just the channels and volume on the remote, they would see you can lock out any channel you want to. Your kid needs a code to unlock it. He?ll sooner find your dirty magazines in your bedroom you friggin? perverts. But people are stupid. Learn something and remove the programs from your own house and don?t worry about what?s coming into mine.

This is far from a protection issue. This is a morality issue. A few people want to push their idea of what is good and right on everyone else. Unfortunately the majority of the people are also the quietest. No one ever writes letters or makes phone calls to tell a company or the government they don?t feel one way or another about something and few people write or call to say they are fine or pleased with something that happened. This is the vast majority of the population.

89 million people watched the Super bowl. The FCC received about 200,000 complaints against the halftime show. That amounts to .2 percent. Yes, that is point two percent. Since when does a .2 percent disapproval of something hold any weight? Could you imagine going to a show with 500 people and having one person at this show tell the manager that he was offended and doesn?t think it?s good for the other 499 people to see the show? Anyone in his right mind would tell the guy to get lost. He?s .2 percent of the audience. You wouldn?t consider shutting down based on that one complaint. But that?s what?s happening because the rest of us don?t make a peep...
-Anthony

And now Howard Stern is off the air in at least 6 markets. I guess when your modus operandi is to test the limits, at some point you will go too far.

Oh, my god...:bow: :applaud: :up:. THANK YOU, ANTHONY!

Best parts of the article:

"The fact of the matter is things like the Janet Jackson breast shot doesn?t offend children it offends some of the parents. For years, people who said they were offended by radio or TV shows were told to turn the dial and shut up. Those people smartened up. Now they complain in the name of America?s children so you can?t argue the point or you?re some kind of kid destroying child-hating monster.

You know the other type of person who loves using the children as an excuse? The failed parent. The entertainment industry is the best scapegoat there is for failed parents. ?If it wasn?t for all the sex on TV my daughter wouldn?t be a slut?. ?My son does drugs because they show people doing drugs on TV?. ?MTV Jackass killed my kid!? It?s perfect. You don?t even need any facts to back it up. ?TV wrecked my family?. Oh, ok."

and

"Are you thinking ?Well, at least we have cable TV and satellite radio.? :BZZZzzz: Wrong! After building up a little head of steam and feeling good about this entertainment bash fest the committee starts asking the FCC commissioners if they would like to be given the ability to regulate cable television and satellite radio to which the commissioners said sure, bring it on. Excuse me? Pay services regulated by the FCC. Here?s some thing I assumed every idiot could do. Lock out channels with your remote. I assumed wrong. If these morons, who are screaming to have anything even remotely adult oriented removed from television, would take a few minutes to learn how to work more than just the channels and volume on the remote, they would see you can lock out any channel you want to. Your kid needs a code to unlock it. He?ll sooner find your dirty magazines in your bedroom you friggin? perverts. But people are stupid. Learn something and remove the programs from your own house and don?t worry about what?s coming into mine.

This is far from a protection issue. This is a morality issue. A few people want to push their idea of what is good and right on everyone else."

SO true. So very, very, very true.

Man. I could not have said it better myself.

Angela

I loathe Howard Stern, but taking him off the air is complete bullocks. I can sort of understand people getting upset over the Super Bowl thing, but c'mon! Who DOESN'T know that The Howard Stern Show can be incredibly offensive and in your face? If you don't like it, don't watch!

Besides, isn't the Howard Stern Show on really late at night? I thought standards were looser for shows on at that time.

nbcrusader said:
And now Howard Stern is off the air in at least 6 markets.

He shouldn't be. He's been doing this kind of thing for years, it should come as no surprise to people.

Like the article said, anybody who is offended by Howard Stern does not have to listen to him.

Originally posted by nbcrusader
I guess when your modus operandi is to test the limits, at some point you will go too far.

And who will determine when somebody's gone "too far"?

Angela

Bono's shades said:
I loathe Howard Stern, but taking him off the air is complete bullocks. I can sort of understand people getting upset over the Super Bowl thing, but c'mon! Who DOESN'T know that The Howard Stern Show can be incredibly offensive and in your face? If you don't like it, don't watch!

Besides, isn't the Howard Stern Show on really late at night? I thought standards were looser for shows on at that time.

The incident in question happened during his morning radio show.

And although the statement was VERY offensive, Howard himself didn't say it, a caller to the show did.

Moonlit_Angel said:
And who will determine when somebody's gone "too far"?

Are you looking for an answer, or are you suggesting that the "who will determine" shouldn't exist?

In a representative democracy, Congress and the FCC will decide.

Bono's American Wife said:
The incident in question happened during his morning radio show.

And although the statement was VERY offensive, Howard himself didn't say it, a caller to the show did.

Oh. I guess I was assuming they were talking about his TV show, which is on late at night.

If it was a caller that made the offensive remark, that makes the whole thing even more ridiculous. He doesn't have any control over that his callers say! I guess you could argue he provides a welcoming atmosphere for people to say offensive stuff, but after all these years to get nailed for something a caller said and not him seems a little wacky.

nbcrusader said:
And now Howard Stern is off the air in at least 6 markets. I guess when your modus operandi is to test the limits, at some point you will go too far.

And when you're job is to police what is offensive to the masses and what's not, at some point they too will go too far.

This is ridiculous these people are basically telling all of us we're too stupid to change the channel or we're not good enough parents to our children. It's insulting, we should all be insulted.

Wouldn't the FCC fall under the heading of 'unelected officials', you know, the unelected officials the right are always getting upset about? Oh that's right, those were judges.

This is a pile of shit. Wake up somebody.

nbcrusader said:
Are you looking for an answer, or are you suggesting that the "who will determine" shouldn't exist?

In a representative democracy, Congress and the FCC will decide.

As far as Congress goes, that's not their job. They have no authority to dictate to us what we can and cannot watch, listen to, or read. The Constitution never gave them that power.

And as for the FCC, well, as pointed out, they've gone too far-now they're trying to go after cable stations, cable stations that we can decide whether we want or not. Besides, like Kieran said, we did not elect the people who belong to the FCC.

So basically, yeah, I am saying that the "who will determine" shouldn't exist. I don't need some group of people dictating to me what I can and can't handle seeing or hearing on TV or radio. I can decide that for myself. So can everyone else.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
So basically, yeah, I am saying that the "who will determine" shouldn't exist. I don't need some group of people dictating to me what I can and can't handle seeing or hearing on TV or radio. I can decide that for myself. So can everyone else.

Are you ready for "anything goes" broadcasting? Would the only response to something offensive be "turn it off"?

nbcrusader said:
Are you ready for "anything goes" broadcasting? Would the only response to something offensive be "turn it off"?

Yes. People turn off the nightly news when it bothers them-I don't hear any outcry about censoring or banning news programs. I don't understand why the same can't be said for other various types of programming.

Angela

nbcrusader said:
In your scenario, would this still apply if the broadcast were racially offensive or deragatory to women?

Considering that the Stern show comment in question was both of those, I would have to ask the same thing.

nbcrusader said:
In your scenario, would this still apply if the broadcast were racially offensive or deragatory to women?

And yet again, that would be a matter of opinion. For example, some women found what happened at the Super Bowl degrading. Other women didn't. That, and you have to take into account the context things are said or done, too. "All In The Family" is a classic example-Archie threw racial slurs all over the place. But it was to show how ignorant people who actually believed that stuff sounded.

Besides, as I have said before, everybody, regardless of who they are, deserves the right to speak their mind. I find hearing what anti-gay marriage people say offensive. But I don't tell them to stop expressing their opinions. I find fundamentalist religious people's preaching on TV offensive, but again, I don't stop them from expressing their opinions. Same goes with the racists.

Angela

Bono's American Wife said:

Considering that the Stern show comment in question was both of those, I would have to ask the same thing.

Does anyone actually know what was said? I can't find it anywhere.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Does anyone actually know what was said? I can't find it anywhere.

something along the lines of "have you ever banged a famous "n-word" and if so, did she smell like watermelon" :|

my only question for stern and his people would be this... you haev a dump man, whose only purpose is to edit out offensive material before it hits the airwaves...

so how exactly did the "n-word" get broadcast over national airwaves?

stern didn't say it, but his show's producers can be held at fault for letting it get across the airwaves. they should be fined... again. but to take him off the air, after all the things on air that he personaly has done, over something that someone else said or did, is just plain silly.

and for the record... i can't stand howard stern. i don't find him funny what-so-ever and i do not listen to his show.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

so how exactly did the "n-word" get broadcast over national airwaves?

Actually the "n-word" has free reign on radio. I've heard it many times on Stern's show and local talk shows. It's usually from callers or guests I've never heard the DJ's themselves actually use this word.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I've heard it many times on Stern's show and local talk shows.

And see, that's what confuses me. If we all know Stern's show has had this word uttered many times before, along with other comments along the lines of the one shared here (and I've heard even worse, too), why is everyone making a big fuss over this?

Oh, yeah, it's an election year. Silly me.

Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
It's usually from callers or guests I've never heard the DJ's themselves actually use this word.

Callers have used it. Okay, so are we going to deny people the chance to call in to shows now because some of them have said this before? How far is this crackdown going to go?

The comment shared here, the one that's gotten him into trouble, I personally find stupid. But again, I have heard worse. And this is Howard Stern. It's no secret that his show is like that. Therefore, if somebody out there is offended by the content of his show, then they can decide to not listen to him.

Angela

Well I can't find it now, but even Rush defends Stern and says people should be afraid when the Federal Government gets involved in monitoring speech.

I'm so angered by this. I'm getting a lot closer to jumping on the bandwagon and blame the down fall of this country on the religious right.

Seriously what is wrong with this country why is everyone sitting back and watching our constitution ripped to shreds. If this administration gets another 4 years of screwing up this country I don't know what I'm going to do.

if stern was preaching hate on the air, then he should be taken off... he wasn't, some stupid idiot caller made an insensitive comment, and stern's producers didn't dump it out... the producers should be fined and the show allowed to continue.

just like the producers of the super bowl half time show should be fined... just like the producers of the golden globes should be fined.

punishment is one thing... i agree with punishment and i agree that there should be "clean" airwaves.

what i don't agree with is people making up the rules as they go along. why is it that certain things that met FCC guidelines a month ago now no longer meet said guidelines? how come "shock jocks" like opie & anthony and howard stern are considered harmful to our airwaves even though there shows adhere to FCC guidelines, yet the music side of the industry is corrupted by basicly a modern form of payola? ok fine... you're not paying the DJs to play the records like in the 50s... instead you're paying clear channel or infinity who then puts together a set playlist and gives it to all 500 of their collective stations?

it's all a bunch of crap... and that crap stinks...

and oh yeah... both sides of the floor are taking the same crap... this isn't just a republican-right wing thing.

Last edited:
Once agree Headache, I totally agree with you. This is kind of like letting a child run wild for the first 10 years of his life then all of the sudden trying to impose discipline. Who is truly to blame for the kid's bad behavior? The people who allowed it go unchecked...the parents.

People like Howard Stern have been allowed to push the envelope for years because they bring in listeners and big profits for the parent companies. Now that the heat is on, the parents suddenly want to pull the reins in and clean things up? Too late for that. They need to ask themselves why it was okay a month ago, a year ago and 5 years ago but now its not.

I don't see the need to flagellate either Bono or Janet Jackson or Howard Stern. This is ridiculous. People know Stern is a "shock" performer, do they not? Did Janet Jackson commit murder during the Super Bowl halftime show? Did Bono commit murder on the Golden Globes? Honestly, the way they're carrying on about this stuff you'd think they did. I'm not a big fan of certain words or nudity on TV, but honestly, I'm more concerned about *many* things in this world, like AIDS in Africa, killings and terror all over the globe, abuse of women, etc, etc. Some people sure do have their priorities screwed up IMO (which is never particularly humble).

Moonlit_Angel said:
And yet again, that would be a matter of opinion.

I just want to make sure where we stand. Under your scenario, we throw open the airwaves to whatever people want to broadcast (hate, violence, sex, etc.) and our only option to objectionable material is to change the channel.

Exactly, verte.

nbcrusader said:
I just want to make sure where we stand. Under your scenario, we throw open the airwaves to whatever people want to broadcast (hate, violence, sex, etc.) and our only option to objectionable material is to change the channel.

Yes, because like I said, it's all a matter of opinion what is and isn't objectionable. I feel I can decide for myself what I can and cannot handle seeing on TV. I don't need some group of politicians in Washington, D.C. deciding that for me.

Again, we seem to have no problem broadcasting all that stuff on the nightly news. I don't hear a big outcry from people wanting that stuff to be censored or banned. So why can't the same be said for non-news related items?

Besides, by having restrictions, it only makes people more likely to want to try and push the boundaries. If there's no restrictions, then people won't feel nearly as big a need to do that.

Angela

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:

There's a difference between broadcasting material designed to incite racial hatred and broacasting a drama containing swear words or sexually explicit scenes.

I don't accept that there is anything inherently damaging in swear words or in images of nudity or sexual activity. While there are occassions where more colourful language or explicit sexual images are inappropriate, there are also contexts in which they are a completely acceptable expression of creativity. There is nothing inherently harmful in these expressions, other than the fact that they offend the morality police.

Material which incites racial hatred, however, is inherently harmful. Its sole intention is to incite hatred and violence against a particular group of people, it has nothing to do with creativity, freedom of expression or entertainment, it exists purely to spread bigotry and lies.

FizzingWhizzbees said:
There's a difference between broadcasting material designed to incite racial hatred and broacasting a drama containing swear words or sexually explicit scenes.

The original question was "who will set the standards?" Why should we accept your standard as opposed to the FCC? (I am not opposed to setting of a standard and do not disagree with part of your standard)

Back
Top Bottom