GWB on being president -- no non-Christians need apply!!! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2005, 06:37 AM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:37 PM
GWB on being president -- no non-Christians need apply!!!

GWB in yesterday's Washington Times:

"I fully understand that the job of the president is and must always be protecting the great right of people to worship or not worship as they see fit. That's what distinguishes us from the Taliban. The greatest freedom we have or one of the greatest freedoms is the right to worship the way you see fit. On the other hand, I don't see how you can be president at least from my perspective, how you can be president, without a relationship with the Lord."

Old 01-13-2005, 06:57 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:37 AM
Is this for real ?

Old 01-13-2005, 07:18 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

I try to give him the benefit of the doubt and think that perhaps he's talking about relying on a relationship w/ the Lord for comfort, strength, etc. Obviously being President is a very difficult job

I would never defend an assertion that you have to have a relationship w/ the Lord or be a Christian to be President

Perhaps he didn't articulate exactly what he means, wouldn't be the first time
Old 01-13-2005, 07:32 AM   #4
Acrobat

I think he clarifies his statement later in the interview. MrsSpringsteen is right-I think he is talking about how he relies on God for comfort and strength. He wonders how anyone could do the job without God. That hardly makes him a raving loony.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:32 AM   #5
The Fly

Local Time: 01:37 AM
I think he means that an atheist in the United States is unelectable. The public wouldn't stand for it. I'd also hate to see how the opposition would use that against the candidate...
Old 01-13-2005, 07:35 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Is the whole interview on their site Irvine? I just went there and couldn't find it
Old 01-13-2005, 07:48 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:37 PM
Quote:
at least from my perspective
what on earth is wrong with GWB giving his opinion on this subject?

I guess the Jesus lightening rod still works....
Old 01-13-2005, 07:51 AM   #8
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Beautiful words aren't they ? "in my opinion", "at least from my perspective", etc.

I didn't vote for this guy, but c'mon people he was just expressing his opinion, not writing out a list of required qualifications for a job description.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:01 AM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

notice that Bush is explicitly qualifying his defense of religious freedom (or the freedom to have no religion at all) by saying that the presidency, in his view, should nevertheless be reserved for people with a relationship of a personal nature with "the Lord." he isn't simply saying that he doesn't see how he could have endured the presidency without faith; he is asserting that he cannot see how anyone could be president without a "relationship with the Lord." yes, this might be simply a slip of the tongue. but given how this administration has consciously eroded the distinction between church and state this is worrying. on the separation of church and state, I don't trust him
Old 01-13-2005, 08:02 AM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

here's the whole article:

President Bush said yesterday that he doesn't "see how you can be president without a relationship with the Lord," but that he is always mindful to protect the right of others to worship or not worship.
Mr. Bush told editors and reporters of The Washington Times yesterday in an interview in the Oval Office that many in the public misunderstand the role of faith in his life and his view of the proper relationship between religion and the government.
"I think people attack me because they are fearful that I will then say that you're not equally as patriotic if you're not a religious person," Mr. Bush said. "I've never said that. I've never acted like that. I think that's just the way it is.

"On the other hand, I think more and more people understand the importance of faith in their life," he said. "America is a remarkable place when it comes to religion and faith. We had people come to our rallies who were there specifically to say, 'I'm here to pray for you, let you know I'm praying for you.' And I was very grateful about that."
Liberals have challenged his faith-based initiative, which allows religious organizations to apply for government funds to administer social services such as drug rehabilitation and food banks.
The president said there is no reason to fear his conspicuous practice of his Methodist faith or his approval of religious expression in the public square.
Mr. Bush said he leans heavily on his religion every day that he is in the Oval Office and cannot imagine any man handling the pressures of the job without leaning on God.
"I fully understand that the job of the president is and must always be protecting the great right of people to worship or not worship as they see fit," Mr. Bush said. "That's what distinguishes us from the Taliban. The greatest freedom we have or one of the greatest freedoms is the right to worship the way you see fit.
"On the other hand, I don't see how you can be president at least from my perspective, how you can be president, without a relationship with the Lord," he said.
Michael Newdow, the California atheist who famously failed to get the words "under God" out of the Pledge of Allegiance, is now attempting to get a D.C. District Court to prevent clergy from participating in Mr. Bush's inauguration.
"I will have my hand on the Bible," Mr. Bush said, expressing a tone of amusement and exasperation that one day, even the 216-year-old centerpiece of the inaugural ceremony might be challenged.
However, Mr. Bush said that unlike many Christians, he does not think that faith is under attack by culture at large and points to the "backlash" against attempts to further secularize the public square as proof.
"The great thing about our country is somebody can stand up and say, 'We should try to take "under God" out of the Pledge of Allegiance,'" Mr. Bush said. "On the other hand, the backlash was pretty darn significant.
"This is a country that is a value-based country," he said. "Whether they voted for you or not, there's a lot of values in this country, for which I'm real proud."
Mr. Bush said he has "still got a rigorous agenda" for his faith-based initiative.
The federal government has funneled "about $1.2 billion" to religious groups so far, the president said, and he hopes to improve on that in the next four years.
"What we are going to do in the second term is to make sure that the grant money is available for faith communities to bid on, to make sure these faith-based offices are staffed and open," Mr. Bush said. "But the key thing is, is that we do have the capacity to allow faith programs to access enormous sums of social service money, which I think is important."
Old 01-13-2005, 08:10 AM   #11
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:37 PM
I think MrsSpringsteen is right--he says "from my perspective..."

I don't think I could do the job without praying, either.

Everyone here knows that the President and I don't always see eye-to-eye on things, but I think that all he meant is that for him, prayer and faith are essential to doing the job. And that's fine.

Join Amnesty.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:13 AM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora

Everyone here knows that the President and I don't always see eye-to-eye on things, but I think that all he meant is that for him, prayer and faith are essential to doing the job. And that's fine.

i think he is saying that for *any* president, prayer and faith and a personal relationship with "The Lord" -- not God, btw -- are essential.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:19 AM   #13
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

i think he is saying that for *any* president, prayer and faith and a personal relationship with "The Lord" -- not God, btw -- are essential.
Yes, that indeed appears to be the OPINION he clearly stated.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:24 AM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

yes, it is the opinion, but he is also the president. his words carry weight. what if he were an atheist and had said, "in my opinion, i just don't see how anyone can be president if you believe in something that cannot be rationally proved"? would you object to that?

in my OPINION, as president, he shouldn't be sending signals that some people, because of their irreligion -- or not having a relationship with "the lord" which i take to mean Jesus -- are incapable of representing all the people.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:30 AM   #15
War Child

Quote:
yes, it is the opinion, but he is also the president. his words carry weight. what if he were an atheist and had said, "in my opinion, i just don't see how anyone can be president if you believe in something that cannot be rationally proved"? would you object to that?

No. Another beautiful phrase: "consider the source"

Quote:
[B
in my OPINION, as president, he shouldn't be sending signals that some people, because of their irreligion -- or not having a relationship with "the lord" which i take to mean Jesus -- are incapable of representing all the people. [/B]
Beautiful country, you can express opinions !