GWB on being president -- no non-Christians need apply!!! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2005, 08:33 AM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino

No. Another beautiful phrase: "consider the source"

i don't get it. an atheist is an unreliable source?

Old 01-13-2005, 08:40 AM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 04:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

i don't get it. an atheist is an unreliable source?
(sigh)

Picture Falwell lecturing on homosexuality, would that cause to re-think anything about your life ?

If I hear an atheist talking about God, it really does NOT carry any weight with me.

Old 01-13-2005, 08:45 AM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

while i don't think that's an apples-to-apples comparison, i do take your point.

i think most atheists have thought a lot about god, and rejected it based on a set of principles. it's hardly likely that Fallwell has given homosexuality the same amount of thought -- except in how to further vilify a minority.

boy, i really need to get back to work. this blue crack is going to get me fired .......
Old 01-13-2005, 08:48 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

I think Bush is *mainly* talking about his personal experience rather than any sort of "requirement" for the presidency. He can't understand how anyone can put up with the stress and anxiety of the job without faith in God. That's fine with me. I don't know how I'd put up with having a touch of autism if I didn't have my own relationship with God, if I couldn't go to mass and get the sacraments and all of that Catholic stuff. This does not mean I'm going to tell another autistic that they're screwed if they don't have this belief, they have their own way of handling their situation. Faith is a highly personal thing and people are different. Many, many people get through life's turmoil with faith, and many do not. It's an honest difference of the nature of one's emotional support system.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:59 AM   #20
Creator of the Blue Crack

Local Time: 08:01 PM
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:00 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

"I fully understand that the job of the president is and must always be protecting the great right of people to worship or not worship as they see fit. That's what distinguishes us from the Taliban. The greatest freedom we have or one of the greatest freedoms is the right to worship the way you see fit. On the other hand, I don't see how you can be president at least from my perspective, how you can be president, without a relationship with the Lord."

Bush has said a lot of dumb things, but this phrase isn't one of them. Although it may appear to sound stupid at first, it actually makes total sense. He recognizes the greatest freedom we have is to worship as we see fit, and then he simply adds his personal opinion regarding the importance of a relationship with Christ. So what. Last time I checked, freedom of expression was a good thing to. If the president was muslim and said the same thing but inserted Allah, would you be making such a big deal about still?
Old 01-13-2005, 09:05 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:01 AM

I'm amused by the turn this thread has taken. One would think that, if there's one opinion that people should be able to scrutinize, it's the president's.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:15 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Good point, but to me it seems like Irvine was calling BS on the quote when actually there's nothing really wrong with it. That's just me — and I'm NOT even a Bush supporter!
Old 01-13-2005, 09:17 AM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
what if he were an atheist and had said, "in my opinion, i just don't see how anyone can be president if you believe in something that cannot be rationally proved"? would you object to that?
No, I just wouldn't vote for him.

Sorry, Irvine. I see your point, I just don't think he's saying what you think he's saying.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:18 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
Good point, but to me it seems like Irvine was calling BS on the quote when actually there's nothing really wrong with it. That's just me — and I'm NOT even a Bush supporter!
Neither am I, and I also have no problem with his (the President's) comments on this particular matter.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:29 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Interesting...but no where in the article is he quoted as saying you have to be a Christian......

I was so excited when I read the title too....I thought there would be evidence. Ahhhh wait, this is FYM
Old 01-13-2005, 09:33 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I know, another mistitled thread. My favorite is the one about "nasty Christians who care less about Poverty than they do gay marriage."
Old 01-13-2005, 09:36 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Sadly, FYM is losing its luster for accurate debate. Anitram, Klaus, U2Bama, Melon........

Where are you?
Old 01-13-2005, 09:39 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Yes, where are the master debaters? Ok, I'll shut up now.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:39 AM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen

Bush has said a lot of dumb things, but this phrase isn't one of them. Although it may appear to sound stupid at first, it actually makes total sense. He recognizes the greatest freedom we have is to worship as we see fit, and then he simply adds his personal opinion regarding the importance of a relationship with Christ. So what. Last time I checked, freedom of expression was a good thing to. If the president was muslim and said the same thing but inserted Allah, would you be making such a big deal about still?

yes, aboslutely. if he said that he believed a requirement for someone to be president was a personal relationship with Allah, i'd absolutely call him out on it.

he also says "the Lord" -- he *is* refering to Jesus, NOT God. big, big difference.

as i said before: he isn't simply saying that he doesn't see how he could have endured the presidency without faith; he is asserting that he cannot see how anyone could be president without a "relationship with the Lord."

btw, this would include the deists who founded our contry.

i think it's lovely that he has a relationship with Jesus to guide him. if he had said just that, it would be an innocuous statement. W went further: he linked the office of the presidency to religious faith. and as president, his words carry weight.