GW Nominates African American Nominee to Court

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
The Congressional Black Caucus denounced White House judicial nominee Janice Rogers Brown of California on Friday, with one member saying she was "cut from the same cloth as Clarence Thomas" and should be kept off a federal appellate court.

"This Bush nominee has such an atrocious civil rights record she makes Clarence Thomas look like Thurgood Marshall," said Rep. Diane Watson, D-Calif.

But Republican senators immediately defended Brown. "If critics don't like Justice Brown's decisions, they should change the law, rather than attack her for partisan political gain," said Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

President Bush has nominated Brown, a California state justice, for a seat on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia. She is expected to appear next Wednesday before the Senate Judiciary Committee for a confirmation hearing.

The 12-member appeals court decides important government cases involving separation of powers, the role of the federal government, the responsibilities of federal officials and the authority of federal agencies. It now has five Republican and four Democratic appointees.

The black Democrats said Brown's conservative credentials make her unfit for the D.C. judgeship. Brown, who is black, is considered among the California high court's most conservative justices.

She supports limits on abortion rights and corporate liability, routinely votes to uphold death penalty sentences and opposes affirmative action.

Bush "hasn't fooled us," said Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, D-D.C. "She's cut from the same cloth as Clarence Thomas."

Thomas, who became the Supreme Court's second black justice after Thurgood Marshall retired, is one of that court's most conservative members and a longtime critic of civil rights legislation and affirmative action programs.

If confirmed, Brown would become the second black woman on the D.C. court.

"That does not mean that any of us would and will give a pass to an unqualified nominee simply because she is a minority candidate," said Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Calif.

Senate Democrats have not said whether they will filibuster Brown. They are filibustering three judicial nominees and have forced one, Hispanic lawyer Miguel Estrada, to withdraw his nomination.

-well get ready for a huge fight from the opposition for a confirmation.
--it seems that cannot stand anyone conservative especially black americans, it puts them into a frenzy.

julles said:
-well get ready for a huge fight from the opposition for a confirmation.
--it seems that cannot stand anyone conservative especially black americans, it puts them into a frenzy.

Bush is trying to play the race card--i.e., we should accept anyone, solely because they are a minority. Thankfully, Democrats have been paying attention to their substance and not just their skin color.

Bush is not a "compassionate conservative." He's just another extremist.

Melon

melon said:

Bush is trying to play the race card--i.e., we should accept anyone, solely because they are a minority. Thankfully, Democrats have been paying attention to their substance and not just their skin color.

Bush is not a "compassionate conservative." He's just another extremist.

Melon

I agree 100%

Oh, how righteous the democrats are. Appoint a white man to the bench, and the Republicans are racists for not appointing people of color. Appoint an African American, and the Republicans are playing the race card.

Fact is, the race card is firmly in the hands of the Democrats. "Substance" is no more than "you don't think like we do. So much for qualifications.

And labeling Bush an "extremist" is a pretty extreme position.

nbcrusader said:
Oh, how righteous the democrats are. Appoint a white man to the bench, and the Republicans are racists for not appointing people of color. Appoint an African American, and the Republicans are playing the race card.

Fact is, the race card is firmly in the hands of the Democrats. "Substance" is no more than "you don't think like we do. So much for qualifications.

And labeling Bush an "extremist" is a pretty extreme position.

Well don't you find it interesting he just happen to choose the minority that doesn't do much for the minority. The fact of her race shouldn't even have been brought up.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Well don't you find it interesting he just happen to choose the minority that doesn't do much for the minority. The fact of her race shouldn't even have been brought up.

Sounds like we are bordering on saying what African Americans should think.

I doubt the nomination was put forth without a name, only reading "African American". The groups injecting race into this matter are Democrats.

nbcrusader said:

Sounds like we are bordering on saying what African Americans should think.

I doubt the nomination was put forth without a name, only reading "African American". The groups injecting race into this matter are Democrats.

No, that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that Republicans can't use this as a "look we appointed a minority, we're for the minorities." Which I've heard some do.

Why can't they say they are for minorities? Are you saying that republicans are against minorities?

Ok I admit that wasn't worded so well. But the Republican party hasn't exactly been at the forefront of civil rights and creating equality with their policy making.

Back
Top Bottom