GW Nominates African American Nominee to Court - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-18-2003, 08:12 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 12:22 AM
GW Nominates African American Nominee to Court

The Congressional Black Caucus denounced White House judicial nominee Janice Rogers Brown of California on Friday, with one member saying she was "cut from the same cloth as Clarence Thomas" and should be kept off a federal appellate court.

"This Bush nominee has such an atrocious civil rights record she makes Clarence Thomas look like Thurgood Marshall," said Rep. Diane Watson, D-Calif.

But Republican senators immediately defended Brown. "If critics don't like Justice Brown's decisions, they should change the law, rather than attack her for partisan political gain," said Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

President Bush has nominated Brown, a California state justice, for a seat on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia. She is expected to appear next Wednesday before the Senate Judiciary Committee for a confirmation hearing.

The 12-member appeals court decides important government cases involving separation of powers, the role of the federal government, the responsibilities of federal officials and the authority of federal agencies. It now has five Republican and four Democratic appointees.

The black Democrats said Brown's conservative credentials make her unfit for the D.C. judgeship. Brown, who is black, is considered among the California high court's most conservative justices.

She supports limits on abortion rights and corporate liability, routinely votes to uphold death penalty sentences and opposes affirmative action.

Bush "hasn't fooled us," said Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, D-D.C. "She's cut from the same cloth as Clarence Thomas."

Thomas, who became the Supreme Court's second black justice after Thurgood Marshall retired, is one of that court's most conservative members and a longtime critic of civil rights legislation and affirmative action programs.

If confirmed, Brown would become the second black woman on the D.C. court.

"That does not mean that any of us would and will give a pass to an unqualified nominee simply because she is a minority candidate," said Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Calif.

Senate Democrats have not said whether they will filibuster Brown. They are filibustering three judicial nominees and have forced one, Hispanic lawyer Miguel Estrada, to withdraw his nomination.
__________________

__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 10-18-2003, 11:01 AM   #2
Babyface
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 27
Local Time: 05:22 AM
-well get ready for a huge fight from the opposition for a confirmation.
--it seems that cannot stand anyone conservative especially black americans, it puts them into a frenzy.
__________________

__________________
julles is offline  
Old 10-18-2003, 01:57 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by julles
-well get ready for a huge fight from the opposition for a confirmation.
--it seems that cannot stand anyone conservative especially black americans, it puts them into a frenzy.
Bush is trying to play the race card--i.e., we should accept anyone, solely because they are a minority. Thankfully, Democrats have been paying attention to their substance and not just their skin color.

Bush is not a "compassionate conservative." He's just another extremist.

Melon
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 10-18-2003, 02:17 PM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon


Bush is trying to play the race card--i.e., we should accept anyone, solely because they are a minority. Thankfully, Democrats have been paying attention to their substance and not just their skin color.

Bush is not a "compassionate conservative." He's just another extremist.

Melon
I agree 100%
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 10-18-2003, 05:32 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 09:22 PM
Oh, how righteous the democrats are. Appoint a white man to the bench, and the Republicans are racists for not appointing people of color. Appoint an African American, and the Republicans are playing the race card.

Fact is, the race card is firmly in the hands of the Democrats. "Substance" is no more than "you don't think like we do. So much for qualifications.

And labeling Bush an "extremist" is a pretty extreme position.
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 10-18-2003, 05:34 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 12:22 AM
My kidney stone agrees!
__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 10-18-2003, 05:43 PM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Oh, how righteous the democrats are. Appoint a white man to the bench, and the Republicans are racists for not appointing people of color. Appoint an African American, and the Republicans are playing the race card.

Fact is, the race card is firmly in the hands of the Democrats. "Substance" is no more than "you don't think like we do. So much for qualifications.

And labeling Bush an "extremist" is a pretty extreme position.
Well don't you find it interesting he just happen to choose the minority that doesn't do much for the minority. The fact of her race shouldn't even have been brought up.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 10-18-2003, 05:50 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Well don't you find it interesting he just happen to choose the minority that doesn't do much for the minority. The fact of her race shouldn't even have been brought up.
Sounds like we are bordering on saying what African Americans should think.

I doubt the nomination was put forth without a name, only reading "African American". The groups injecting race into this matter are Democrats.
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 10-18-2003, 10:49 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon


He's just another extremist.

Melon
?
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 10-19-2003, 01:02 PM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader


Sounds like we are bordering on saying what African Americans should think.

I doubt the nomination was put forth without a name, only reading "African American". The groups injecting race into this matter are Democrats.
No, that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that Republicans can't use this as a "look we appointed a minority, we're for the minorities." Which I've heard some do.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 10-19-2003, 01:23 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 12:22 AM
Why can't they say they are for minorities? Are you saying that republicans are against minorities?
__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 10-19-2003, 05:50 PM   #12
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 11:22 PM
Ok I admit that wasn't worded so well. But the Republican party hasn't exactly been at the forefront of civil rights and creating equality with their policy making.
__________________

__________________
BVS is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com